All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

About heater voltage

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Slack
Fri Jul 03 2015, 11:19PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Yay, I have finally got my new scope, a 4 channel 50MHz Rigol, DS1054Z. I'm still exploring all the things it says it can do, and I was a bit amused that the very first thing I do with it is to connect it to the mains, but, there you go, in at the deep end.

The experiemntal setup is a 600VA transformer, so it will have quite a high magnetisng current, with a roughly 1A lamp load, driven by a 40v rms secondary, with either a direct connection, or with two series silicon diodes. Units and per div are correct.

The first piccy is driving a balanced load. The primary current waveform (yellow) shows two principal features, the load current in phase with the primary voltage (blue), and the magnetising current in quadrature to the input voltage. The magnetising current is low for most of the cycle, but kicks up at the zero crossings where flux is maximum, this is a transformer which pushes the core Vs. The purple trace shows the secondary load voltage. This is not a sinusoidal mains supply, 3rd harmonic-a-go-go.

1435964581 72 FT1630 Ds1z Quickprint3

The second piccy shows the effect of introducing the diode into the secondary in series. As expected, the load voltage is half wave rectified. The primary load-related current follows the output current, half of it has disappeared. What is interesting is the magnetising related current peaks at the zero crossings, one has reduced, the other has increased. That is evidence that the secondary rectification is driving a DC current in the transformer, polarising it, so shifting the primary current level at which saturation occurs.

1435964615 72 FT1630 Ds1z Quickprint2

Looks like a score draw. Saturation is affected, but with a transformer this size and small load, we are nowhere near to smoke coming out. It may be different with a transformer where the rectified load is a larger fraction of its rated load. I did notice the lamp was rather less bright with the rectified input than the full input, so it works to reduce output power to a resistor.

I was about to start postulating that the transformer flux shifts due to recitification, so shifting the magnitudes of the saturation peaks to maintain zero DC input current. However, there is one big problem with rushing to that conclusion. I am measuring the input current through a current transformer for isolation (don't want to connect my nice new scope straight to mains without thinking carefully), so of course the indicated input current has zero DC under all conditions. While the relative shifts of the load currents and the saturation peaks are suggestive, it's no more than that until I get DC coupled.

So, next measurement is of the components above, but with a DC coupled primary current measurement. The measurement after that is with a smaller, better transformer, so that the magnetising current is lower and less peaky, and it's more representative of what somebody would do in practice.
Uspring
Tue Jul 07 2015, 10:46AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Dr. Slack wrote:
I was about to start postulating that the transformer flux shifts due to recitification, so shifting the magnitudes of the saturation peaks to maintain zero DC input current. However, there is one big problem with rushing to that conclusion. I am measuring the input current through a current transformer for isolation (don't want to connect my nice new scope straight to mains without thinking carefully), so of course the indicated input current has zero DC under all conditions. While the relative shifts of the load currents and the saturation peaks are suggestive, it's no more than that until I get DC coupled.
I don't think, there can be a permanent DC current component in an inductor if there is no DC voltage component, which is the case if it is driven by mains. A DC component would imply a DC voltage drop along the wire resistance of the inductor. Faradays law states that the flux phi is:

phi = integral V * dt

A DC component in V results in a flux phi getting larger and larger over time. The AC component cancels out in the integral. So you won't find a DC current component in the primary even if you omit the current transformer.
You could get a permanent DC primary current if the primary were superconducting smile
Patric
Wed Jul 15 2015, 03:24PM
Patric Registered Member #2899 Joined: Wed Jun 02 2010, 06:31PM
Maybe I do not understand it all, but when the diode is in the secondary, the voltage is cut in halve, so anyhow the power is 1/4 by a resistive load?
Dr. Slack
Wed Jul 15 2015, 05:00PM
Patric wrote ...

Maybe I do not understand it all, but when the diode is in the secondary, the voltage is cut in halve, so anyhow the power is 1/4 by a resistive load?

A diode will drop the voltage by 0.7v (so not much) and make the load operate for half the time (so 50% duty cycle) so half of the power
Dr. Slack
Thu Jul 16 2015, 04:39PM
Finally, after 2 weeks of yak shaving, got some relevant, and DC coupled, pictures

I am using a fairly cheap 50VA transformer, 240v to 24v, so turns ratio N of about 10, and the nominally 50 watt load of a Weller soldering iron on the secondary. The input voltage is measured via a 1000:1 resistive divider. The input current is measured through a 1 ohm shunt in the neutral, into a unity gain diff-amp (that's what took all the time). The secondary load voltage is measured by a standard 10:1 scope probe. All oscillographs show mains input voltage in light blue, primary input current in yellow, and secondary load voltage (and so current as the load is pure resistive) in pink.

The first picture shows the mains primary input voltage and the primary current. The nominal mains voltage is 240v rms, about 330v peak. The core is being run somewhat into saturation, drawing a roughly 100mA blip around the zero crossings, which is where the core runs to maximum flux. This is in quadrature to the input voltage, so little real power is being drawn.

1437062002 72 FT1630 Unloaded

The second picture shows the situation with a normal load connected.

1437062039 72 FT1630 Normal Load

The load voltage follows the input voltage, via the scale factor N. The input current substantially follows the load current, but the core saturation current draw can still clearly be seen as a lump around the zero crossings. I chose polarities such that the input voltage, input current and load current were all in phase. The input current is peaking to about 300mA, 1/Nth of the load current peak as expected.

The third picture shows what happens when a silicon diode is placed in series with the load.

1437062065 72 FT1630 Rectified Load

During the first positive half cycle, the load diode is blocking. There is no load voltage, and initially no primary current. While the input voltage is still at its peak, the primary input current starts to grow. This indicates that the core is going into saturation. It is being saturated earlier, at a lower total volt.seconds than the unloaded case, which indicates that the core did not start the cycle at maximum negative flux.

As the input cycle continues, the magnetising current builds to more than 500mA, larger than the normal load current was, but still a long way short from being dangerous. In this particular case, the rms input current when using the rectified load is about 2% higher than for the normal load, the input fuse and primary winding won't even notice. The secondary rms is lower, so overall, the transformer will run cooler.

As the negative half cycle starts, the output voltage goes negative. For a substantial part of this cycle, the primary current is still positive, whereas the load current is negative, an unusual state of affairs for a transformer.

Finally as the cycle continues, the primary current comes into phase with the load current. If you look in detail at the primary current at the end of the load conduction phase, you will see it follows the shape of the secondary current closely. The saturation bulge that was visible in the normal load case is not present here. This confirms that at this point in the cycle, the transformer core has not reached maximum negative flux.

I do measure a slight net DC current on the input with the rectified load, but it is very small, well below the noise level of the scope. I also measure the same net DC when using the normal load, so I will put it down to scope offsets or non-linearity. I am not best pleased with the displayed noise level of the scope, it seems to be too many LSB, even with only 8 bits vertically, but I guess you get what you pay for, and I didn't want to afford Agilent. I will play with averaging traces offline to see if that gives me more confidence. As any input DC would be expected to change with a load rectification, I can conclude that there is no DC drawn at the input as a result of rectifying the output.

Summary.

a) Rectifying the load on a transformer does shift the flux in the core so that one saturation peak is increased, and the other is diminished

b) Even when the load is at 100% of the transformer rating, it doesn't appear to endanger the transformer, or at least this size of transformer. If you are contemplating repeating this on a much larger transformer, it would be worth doing this sort of check again.

So I stand corrected. Go for it. To halve the output power into a resistive load, it appears to be OK to half-wave rectify the secondary of a transformer.
klugesmith
Thu Jul 16 2015, 07:04PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Thank you for the excellent pictures and explanation there, Dr Slack.
You beat me to it. Are you retired?

To carry the flag a bit farther, I want to dig out a 12 volt 50 VA transformer and make a Slackian picture using 3 ohm (4 amp) resistive load, already at hand. Also measure the temperature rise, at least with fingertips.

Then repeat with the transformer in a beginner's regulated DC power supply: half-wave rectifier, filter capacitor, 3-terminal VR, 3 ohm load. Let's see what happens with 4 amps DC in the secondary. And a DC current according to transformer Utilization Factor as pointed to by Sulaiman(?) .

The margins may depend on transformer's design application, and consequent trade-offs on core loss and copper loss.
In a 12 V lighting transformer, such as in a desk lamp, we care only about losses at full load.
In a 12 V doorbell transformer, we care mostly about losses at no load.

Dr. Slack wrote ...
... I do measure a slight net DC current on the input with the rectified load, but it is very small, well below the noise level of the scope. I also measure the same net DC when using the normal load, so I will put it down to scope offsets or non-linearity. ...
Agreed! Another way to check for DC current is to measure across sense resistor with handheld meter on DC mV, both ways. If the meter's dual-slope ADC fails to properly reject the strong 50 Hz signal, or the meter's auto-ranging is confounded, put a passive RC filter between sense R and the meter.

If you can get the Rigol captured waveforms into a spreadsheet, try numerically integrating the no-load secondary voltage. Result can be charted WRT the magnetizing current to see a BH plot. If it's not a closed figure, add a spreadsheet knob for scope offset voltage in the channel being integrated. If the spreadsheet is problematic, put the scope waveforms into a text file and let somebody else take a shot at it.

Bored Chemist
Sat Jul 18 2015, 11:11AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Another thought has just occurred to me. I don't think it will matter much because valve heaters are generally designed to warm and cool relatively slowly.
Imagine that the mains frequency was very low. In effect the lamp would be flashing. Each cycle would expose it to the "shock" of heating up again. I don't think that would be good for it.
Uspring
Sat Jul 18 2015, 05:53PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Some comments to Dr. Slacks last post:

a) I do agree, that the current bumps in the first diagram are due to beginning saturation. Hysteresis would show up as current difference at the points of max primary voltage. Little of this is visible.

b) The positive saturation bump in the third diagram is considerably higher, maybe 5 times as high, as in the unloaded case. Here it is not something to worry about, but the height of the bump depends on how the core goes into saturation. That is a gradual process and might be different for other transformers. For complete saturation, i.e. ur=1 current might be much larger.

c) In the rectified case, RMS primary current is 2% higher. That does not seem much, but at the same time the power throughput has been halved.

d) As I've proved in my last post, a DC component in the primary current is impossible in a steady state situation. It is possible as a transient phenomenon.

e) Nice measurement smile Would be interesting to measure at 100% power, i.e. half the load resistance.
Patric
Sun Jul 19 2015, 08:07AM
Patric Registered Member #2899 Joined: Wed Jun 02 2010, 06:31PM
This is the infamous transformer:

1437293209 2899 FT171727 Trafo
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: