All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oscilloscope Choice

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hydron
Wed Mar 18 2015, 02:18PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
I might have had something to do with the peer pressure, sorry :P
Have ordered my own too.
nzoomed
Mon Mar 23 2015, 08:41PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
One question here, are high frequency scopes required for testing DRSSTC tesla coils?
I have a Tektronix 561A (which is an awesome old school scope BTW) but is only rated at 10 MHz, Since my coil im working on is expected to only run at around 75KHz is this an issue? Or do higher frequency scopes show more detail that is not seen on lower frequency scopes?

TIA
Mads Barnkob
Mon Mar 23 2015, 09:13PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
The rule of thumb for oscilloscopes is that you want a specification twice as fast as the signal you want to see. This rule is properly only true for older analogue oscilloscopes.

In new/newer digital oscilloscopes, the sample rate is a very important factor, if you do not sample fast enough, you will miss information and the presented curve might have nothing to do with reality.
Hydron
Mon Mar 23 2015, 10:23PM
With a 10MHz scope you'll see the DRSSTC current waveform fine, but it can't show fast rise times or high frequency ringing on the bridge output. That said, it's probably quick enough that you'll get away with it.

Assuming NZ from the username? If so, good to see some more kiwis here! (I'm UK based right now, but built a coil back home in Auckland)
nzoomed
Tue Mar 24 2015, 03:44AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Hydron wrote ...

With a 10MHz scope you'll see the DRSSTC current waveform fine, but it can't show fast rise times or high frequency ringing on the bridge output. That said, it's probably quick enough that you'll get away with it.

Assuming NZ from the username? If so, good to see some more kiwis here! (I'm UK based right now, but built a coil back home in Auckland)

Yes im from New Zealand!

This is my first DRSSTC i will be building so ive got alot to learn, since they are so different than just a basic spark gap coil.

Im confident that i can get mine working and ive got a friend with a faster 100 MHz Rigol scope if i get stuck.
I do love my tektronix scope though, its been great for working on audio circuits. smile
Finn Hammer
Sun Apr 19 2015, 08:15AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Working on a spark gap tabletop coil, I realized the hard way, that I had forgotten what precautions are needed when working with 10kV, and that cost me my Tek. TDS2014, due to a faulty ground connection. So I bought a Rigol DS1054Z.
Link2
Immediate shipping at reasonable rates, and VAT included.
It should come in tomorrow, and I can´t wait to check the RigLOL upgrade option.....
Anyway, deep memory, from the 5K of the Tek, to 24M, It´s gonna be a different world alltogether.
The Tek. cost me 14K Kroner about 10 years ago, now for 3.5K Kronor, I get what looks like a much better scope.
It is going to be interesting to check the "feel" of the quality of this scope against the recollection og the Tek predecessor.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Hydron
Sun Apr 19 2015, 12:59PM
The screen will be a huge improvement from the old Tek, and the memory depth gives you many more measurement abilities.

Enjoy!
loneoceans
Sun Apr 19 2015, 07:11PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
You can use Riglol to make it magically into a 1104z :)

I've recommended this scope to lots of people (I have one myself) and it really has been a fantastic scope! It's probably the best scope on the market now for under $1000 (even though it's only $400).

The next step up if you have $3000 or more to spare would be one of the Infinivisions though :)
Hydron
Sun Apr 19 2015, 08:30PM
The other riglol unlocks can often be more useful than the 100MHz bandwidth - protocol decode etc can be very handy.

If you do use the riglol tool, make sure you use the (unlisted) DSER code rather than DSFR to unlock all options - it omits the 500uV vertical option which is known to cause problems.
Finn Hammer
Sat Apr 25 2015, 09:11PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM

1429995756 205 FT168268 Dsc 7385

I am flabberghasted. The scope arrived and the parcel was heavy. Heavy is a quality parameter in my world.
Out of the box, the scope looked good, quality plastic parts, the early Tek. TDS scopes set the standard for design and quality, and this scope builds heavily on that legacy.
When I look at the triggerin options, the bandwidth and not to forget, memory depth, this scope blows my mind.
And compared to mainstream, extremely high volume mass produced Tablets, at a similar price point, this toy just offers so much more joy, and apparent value for the money.
If the old TDS2014 was like an electronic microscope, then this is a fully fledged bio lab with cloning potential!
-oh, did I tell you that I love it?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: