Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Propeller Physics and VABs Program.

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Dec 03 2014, 02:38PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Shrad wrote ...

I was mentioning the centripetal/centrifugal vectors which are of opposite direction, but combines with the acceleration force vector

as I see it, at constant speed acceleration is null, and centripetal/centrifugal forces being of opposite direction and at equilibrium, a propeller designed for those parameters will hold without problem

now accelerate or decelerate, and you combine a third force vector which will induce stress in another direction

I was simply thinking about the system being incomplete without the acceleration force vector, and was actually wondering if I was right or not ;)

Yes, you are correct, Shrad, and that does become a factor to be taken into consideration when working out the peak forces on the blades, but for now, we're just considering the 'hovering' scenario, as the maths is much simpler.

The point I was making, I think, is that you want to keep the mass of the blades low, as this minimises the centripetal/centrifugal forces.

I suspect that we'll end up with pure CF blades, with no foam, etc. as carbon has huge tensile strength to combat the centripetal/centrifugal forces and will therefore allow the thinnest section, etc. and also facilitate high RPM.
Shrad
Wed Dec 03 2014, 03:20PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
hovering in a controlled environment?

in my point of view hovering is the result of constant acceleration/deceleration in reaction to the environment (wind, turbulence, etc...)

if you account that it's part of the deal, then I think you still have to account these stresses even if they are reduced, as different materials will have different behaviors facing such small and perpetual variations of forces (flexing, vibrating, etc...)

maybe error calculation can help take that into account? I recall from my courses back in the past that it's not that hard to calculate
Ash Small
Wed Dec 03 2014, 07:18PM
Shrad wrote ...

hovering in a controlled environment?

in my point of view hovering is the result of constant acceleration/deceleration in reaction to the environment (wind, turbulence, etc...)

if you account that it's part of the deal, then I think you still have to account these stresses even if they are reduced, as different materials will have different behaviors facing such small and perpetual variations of forces (flexing, vibrating, etc...)

maybe error calculation can help take that into account? I recall from my courses back in the past that it's not that hard to calculate

That's correct, all that 'bending moments in a beam' stuff is pretty straightforward, but the maths I provided above only applies to hovering, and is for the 'ideal' case. Obviously the blade has to withstand greater forces than when hovering, as, RPM will be higher when ascending, manouvering, etc. The 'hovering in ideal conditions' scenario gives us a good starting point, though.

Manouverability will also require lightweight blades (manouverability will suffer as disc area increases, but as we've already seen from the maths above and from the graph that BigBad posted in the 'other' thread, large disc area is essential for efficiency), in order to accelerate/decelerate the rotors quickly they will have to be as lightweight as possible.

Drag is the other factor that requires a thin blade section.

High RPM does facilitate a small 'angle of attack', but does increase the centripetal/centrifugal forces in the blade. From what I've read about full size 'copters, it's these forces that ultimately determine maximum RPM, as strength is proportional to mass. As the mass of the blade increases, the strength increases, but so do the centripetal/centrifugal forces within it, due to the incresed mass.
Shrad
Wed Dec 03 2014, 07:34PM
how about a really lightweight body, even with foamy material, which would then be dipped in a carbon fiber and resin mix in a very light mix, many times like a lacker?

it would ensure minimal physical weight, maximum surface resistance, and the outer layer would maintain the cohesion of the innards...
Patrick
Wed Dec 03 2014, 07:52PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Shrad wrote ...

how about a really lightweight body, even with foamy material, which would then be dipped in a carbon fiber and resin mix in a very light mix, many times like a lacker?

it would ensure minimal physical weight, maximum surface resistance, and the outer layer would maintain the cohesion of the innards...
The problem is, (as ive layed up many fiberglass, CF and aramid fiber structures), they are already so thin at the mid and outer radius theres' no space for shear web or lightening pockets / foam.

with my 3D printer, printing nearly hollow structures, with minimal shear web, ive blown out my tail at 15+ meters above ground as Andrew predicted

1417636322 2431 FT167327 Endurance Hexa Motor Prop
These are about 18 inch props, note the root area. its also steep there. (about 80 to 120 us$, for two)

26x85 1 1
these are 26 inch props, they go all the way up to 29 inch and from 5 to 8 pitch. (about 300 us$ for two)
Shrad
Wed Dec 03 2014, 09:18PM
I guess any handmade one would still be far away from a commercial unit anyway
Ash Small
Wed Dec 03 2014, 10:48PM
Shrad wrote ...

I guess any handmade one would still be far away from a commercial unit anyway

Blades specifically designed for the application should out perform anything that is commercially available.

Solid CF gives the the highest strength and lowest drag (and highest RPM, so smallest pitch, thus reducing drag even more)

EDIT: Those blades are designed for high disc loading. They resemble some further down the 'efficiency scale' in the graph in the 'other thread'.
Patrick
Thu Dec 04 2014, 03:57AM
Ash Small wrote ...

EDIT: Those blades are designed for high disc loading. They resemble some further down the 'efficiency scale' in the graph in the 'other thread'.

would a symmetric heli blade be better? should we make improvements in that direction? maybe add undercamber to the root side.
Ash Small
Thu Dec 04 2014, 04:21PM
Well, the props you posted above certainly look more like the rotors on a V-22 Osprey than conventional 'copter blades.

The V-22 does have high disc loading (even higher than originally planned, as rotor diameter was reduced from 43 feet to 38 feet in order to facilitate below deck storage on carriers).

The kind of prop used on conventional aircraft can be wider with plenty of camber/angle of attack, as it's designed to travel forwards at hundreds of miles per hour, a completely different scenario to hovering, where that design will produce loads of drag.

If we want low disc loading, I think the best approach would be to start with total estimated mass of the 'copter, and number of rotors, then decide on the disc loading we're after, and then see what the disc area of each prop comes out at.

The disc loading on the V-22 is around 100kg/m^2, and power to mass ratio is 427W/kg, compared to the disc loading of Atlas, the human powered helicopter, which is less than 0.1kg/m^2.

It may be worth working out the disc loadind on your existing tri-copter first,

The point I'm making, I suppose, is that the blade design is also dependant on disc loading. It may also be worth looking at the disc loading that the rotors posted above are designed for.

Conventional copters get down to under 20kg/M^2, we should be looking to do better than this, if we're after greater efficiency and longer flight times. (I think we should be aiming for less than 5kg/M^2, maybe even less wink )

EDIT: The Robinson R-22 has a disc loading of 14kg/m^2.

1417712260 3414 FT1630 R22

You can see the cross section etc in the photo. Admittedly, this is designed for use with a swashplate, so we may want to include some twist and maybe taper it a bit towards the tip wink
Patrick
Thu Dec 04 2014, 10:31PM
ok so lets start this way.

1,430 g AUW.
3 rotors, all 12in diameter, 3.8 pitch, called a "slow-fly" prop.

while moderately maneuvering, a drew 31 amps at about 10.7 volts. from A 3 Ccell lipo (12.6 fully charged, 9.9v discharged)
im also having a battery problem, but we'll deal with that later.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: