Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Driving 'Fiddy's Flybacks' in flyback mode.

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Nov 12 2014, 05:13PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
That is very interesting. I didn't realise that the MSD coil fired multiple times. I'm working on a multi-spark system in the thread here: Link2 (proposed circuit diagram on page 5), butv I'm waiting for MOSFET's with sub 10nS switching times to become more affordable (I need twenty or so for each coil, and last time I checked they were £40 each). Part of the reason I'm building the 556 timer is to learn more about the whole concept.

The primary resistance will be much lower if it's a multi-spark coil. (I did wonder when I saw your video how you were managing to drive an ign coil at what looks like quite a high frequency for ign coils)

Maybe I'll have another look at the MSD coil. I did look it up earlier in my other thread after JohnF mentioned it, I think, but didn't realise it was a multi-spark system. As I understand it these multi-spark systems use capacitamce, and don't fire until the voltage rises to the breakdown voltage, after several pulses, then continue to supply more current at lower voltage during the discharge. I think I posted some waveforms earlier in the other thread.

There have been several multi-spark systems in the past, which claim to fire several pulses, but as the technology of MOSFET's etc gets faster, the ability to supply more pulses per 'ignition event' is increasing, although 'state of the art' components, as used in pulse generators of the so called 'voltage adder' type, discussed in a recent thread of Patrick's on planar transformers are still very expensive.

EDIT: Just noticed this bit:

Fiddy wrote ...

As Sigurthr said, the 10k resistor discharges the gates capacitance, without it, after turning the power off and disconnecting the Gate from your driver, the Source/Drain will still be conducting so if power is still across the Source/Drain it will allow current flow even tho there is nothing controlling the gate pin, this usually causes max currents to flow and will destroy the FET.

I'll have to give this some thought, too. wink

EDIT 2: If power is shut off at Vcc, there is no power across source/drain, so the problem doesn't occur. It did occur to me to add a capacitor and diode, so that it can shut down, without the risk of further triggering, but I don't think this is necessary, as the circuit stands, but I've had a drink. I'll look again after coffee in the morning. As it currently stands, I don't think this problem will occur, though.
Fiddy
Thu Nov 13 2014, 03:41AM
Fiddy Registered Member #8817 Joined: Mon Dec 17 2012, 05:16AM
Ash Small wrote ...

That is very interesting. I didn't realise that the MSD coil fired multiple times. I'm working on a multi-spark system in the thread here: Link2 (proposed circuit diagram on page 5), butv I'm waiting for MOSFET's with sub 10nS switching times to become more affordable (I need twenty or so for each coil, and last time I checked they were £40 each). Part of the reason I'm building the 556 timer is to learn more about the whole concept.

The primary resistance will be much lower if it's a multi-spark coil. (I did wonder when I saw your video how you were managing to drive an ign coil at what looks like quite a high frequency for ign coils)

Maybe I'll have another look at the MSD coil. I did look it up earlier in my other thread after JohnF mentioned it, I think, but didn't realise it was a multi-spark system. As I understand it these multi-spark systems use capacitamce, and don't fire until the voltage rises to the breakdown voltage, after several pulses, then continue to supply more current at lower voltage during the discharge. I think I posted some waveforms earlier in the other thread.

There have been several multi-spark systems in the past, which claim to fire several pulses, but as the technology of MOSFET's etc gets faster, the ability to supply more pulses per 'ignition event' is increasing, although 'state of the art' components, as used in pulse generators of the so called 'voltage adder' type, discussed in a recent thread of Patrick's on planar transformers are still very expensive.

EDIT: Just noticed this bit:

Fiddy wrote ...

As Sigurthr said, the 10k resistor discharges the gates capacitance, without it, after turning the power off and disconnecting the Gate from your driver, the Source/Drain will still be conducting so if power is still across the Source/Drain it will allow current flow even tho there is nothing controlling the gate pin, this usually causes max currents to flow and will destroy the FET.

I'll have to give this some thought, too. wink

EDIT 2: If power is shut off at Vcc, there is no power across source/drain, so the problem doesn't occur. It did occur to me to add a capacitor and diode, so that it can shut down, without the risk of further triggering, but I don't think this is necessary, as the circuit stands, but I've had a drink. I'll look again after coffee in the morning. As it currently stands, I don't think this problem will occur, though.

Yeah multiple spark discharge, thats actually what MSD the brand name stands for smile

Im not sure how the MSD computers fire their coils as ive never had one before, would be interesting to find out.

Sorry i wrote that part after a 12 hour night shift! Of course if the Vcc is disconnected there obviously wont be any power across S/D but if its power is applied to the S/D at a later time and the gate hasnt fully self discharged it will conduct again.

Im not sure how it will go in your situation, trial and error eh?
Ash Small
Thu Nov 13 2014, 05:00AM
I may just add the resistor between G-S anyway, to be safe, and I'll look into adding a capacitor and diode in the morning to make sure it shuts down ok. I'm still drinking at 4:45 am, can't sleep wink

Most of the 'multiple spark discharge' systems I've seen only supply 'several' sparks. The system I'm working on supplies around a thousand in a millisecond, although, as I mentioned above, the capacitance and inductance tends to 'smooth' it into a high voltage to initiate breakdown, followed by less voltage and greater current to give a clean burn.

It will require MOSFET's with switching times under ten nS though, and they are currently too expensive for me to buy, although I'll experiment with slower ones to start with, and see where it goes.

The 555/556 is limited to ~10uS switching times, although I have linked to much faster processors in the other thread. This exersize is just to get a 'feel' for the concept, and hopefully to get the best out of your flybacks with a simple driver.

I should learn something from it, and learn more about the flyback topology in general.

The whole concept about energy 'stored' in an air gap is something that fescinates me.
Shrad
Thu Nov 13 2014, 08:34AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I have always thought it is the same phenomenon as when you are refraining two magnets to stick together or inversely

as you are fixing the mechanical position of the two physical bounds, the other parameter is the magnetic field
Uspring
Thu Nov 13 2014, 11:44AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
The whole concept about energy 'stored' in an air gap is something that fescinates me.
The effect of the air gap is mostly to reduce primary inductance. For a given input voltage and on time this implies larger primary currents, which will store more energy in the primary. The same effect can be achieved without a gap, when you add a small inductance parallel to the primary. Most of the energy will then be stored there.
Ash Small
Thu Nov 13 2014, 03:14PM
Uspring wrote ...

The effect of the air gap is mostly to reduce primary inductance. For a given input voltage and on time this implies larger primary currents, which will store more energy in the primary. The same effect can be achieved without a gap, when you add a small inductance parallel to the primary. Most of the energy will then be stored there.

So how does the air gap affect the volt seconds?

Does the volt seconds remain the same, but with increased current, or is there more to it than this?

Presumably, with less inductance, it will reach saturation sooner, assuming voltage remains constant?

It's in order to get a better 'feel' for this stuff that I'm building this circuit in the first place, so I can adjust things like air gap and voltage, and number of primary turns, etc., and see what happens.

Dr. Slack
Thu Nov 13 2014, 04:13PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
An analogy that I like, and it's an analogy that gets better the harder you work at it, is to ask 'where would you prefer to store spring energy? In a length of steel wire, or a length of rubber?'

Now at the moment, before cranking the maths up, you might object how long, what cross sectional area, like with like, but just go with me for a moment. Ultimately we can equate permeability, B and H field with Young's modulus, force and elongation (not necessarily in that order, or that way up, but you get where we're headed here).

If you take a steel wire and a rubber rope which both have the same breaking stress (force/area), which will store more energy at that strain (elongation/length)? You may have to strain the steel by 1% to get it to max stress, but the rubber needs maybe 1000% strain to get it up to the same stress. So the rubber rope stores 1000x the energy of the steel wire.

Similarly, you may only need a tiny H field to get a ferrite core up to a max B of 0.2T, but a large H field is needed to get a lump of air to the same max B. As energy is stress x strain, or B x H, the air stores much more energy getting it to the same B field.

Now core volt-seconds are related to the core area and maxB, similarly ropes in series with the same breaking stress will still have the same breaking stress (by tautology) whether they are made of rubber or steel. The core has a maxB and an area. The air-gap, assuming it's short and a large area defined by a gap in the core, has exactly the same area as the core, and has a Bmax defined by the core as well, even though the air can of course support a higher B field. So it doesn't matter whether there is an airgap or not, the volt-seconds remains (to first order) the same.
Ash Small
Thu Nov 13 2014, 06:41PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

....you may only need a tiny H field to get a ferrite core up to a max B of 0.2T, but a large H field is needed to get a lump of air to the same max B. As energy is ..... B x H, the air stores much more energy getting it to the same B field.

Now core volt-seconds are related to the core area and maxB, ...... The core has a maxB and an area. The air-gap, assuming it's short and a large area defined by a gap in the core, has exactly the same area as the core, and has a Bmax defined by the core as well, even though the air can of course support a higher B field. So it doesn't matter whether there is an airgap or not, the volt-seconds remains (to first order) the same.

Thanks for clarifying that bit, neil. To summarise, volt seconds remains the same, but current is greater with an airgap.

Now I've read in several references that volt seconds and amp seconds are essentially interchangable, which is where things start to get confusing. If volt seconds is a function of Bmax of the ferrite, and current is essentially proportional to the length of the air gap, as the air gap increases, the amp seconds must increase as well? Or are they only interchangable when no air gap is employed? Maybe I've answered my own question here wink
Dr. Slack
Thu Nov 13 2014, 08:10PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Amp.seconds has no place in transformer design or understanding. So you have been mis-informed.

Coulombs are useful if you are trying to charge a battery
Ash Small
Thu Nov 13 2014, 09:23PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Amp.seconds has no place in transformer design or understanding. So you have been mis-informed.

Coulombs are useful if you are trying to charge a battery

Fair enough. I can't find where I read about it, and can't remember the exact context. If I find any reference again I'll post it. Maybe I misunderstood the context.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: