All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Magnetic Field Architecture" and the HENDO Hoverboard - *ALMOST* a real hoverboard

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Fri Oct 24 2014, 06:03AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
ive been seeing videos and stories on the national cable news channels. But as others have said, it all comes down to power stored, vs. power consumed.

this is the very problem many of us have with light aircraft, spacecraft and micro-drones. Even the best LiPo/LiFe batteries are just terrible for run time.

Sigurthr wrote ...

Not real promising. I figure a common hobby 50C 3S 6Ah lipo might get me a minute of "flight time" if the system was incredibly efficient.
I use one of these batteries in my current drone for 8 minutes of flight time. so if a teenie-bopper has less mass, and you pile ten LiPo's on it, you might get a few minutes of useful time in a skate park.

Uspring
Fri Oct 24 2014, 08:54AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
this is the very problem many of us have with light aircraft, spacecraft and micro-drones. Even the best LiPo/LiFe batteries are just terrible for run time.
Nice analogy, especially if you consider, that the lift to power consumption ratio improves with rotor area or number for hover boards similar to helicopters.
BigBad
Fri Oct 24 2014, 01:59PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
If I was doing it I would probably try to use an IC engine, like a model aircraft engine.
Patrick
Fri Oct 24 2014, 03:20PM
BigBad wrote ...

If I was doing it I would probably try to use an IC engine, like a model aircraft engine.
I have a glow-drone battery replacer here on the forum some where. But the Planar-ferrite and drone-prop projects have my full attention right now, so i cant help anyone out on such a solution, though i really think IC is the way to go.
Conundrum
Sat Oct 25 2014, 08:47AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Possible ideas: metamaterials (not quite superconducting but still viable) and materials more magnetic than sintered NdFeB yet to be discovered ?
BigBad
Sat Oct 25 2014, 01:23PM
It's the conductivity of the plate that's the problem. Silver, graphene or superconductors are better than copper.

At high frequencies, you need litz wire loops, and poles big enough to fill them.
dexter
Sat Oct 25 2014, 03:34PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
BigBad wrote ...

It's the conductivity of the plate that's the problem. Silver, graphene or superconductors are better than copper.

At high frequencies, you need litz wire loops, and poles big enough to fill them.

if only those materials were cheap.....

BigBad
Mon Oct 27 2014, 04:34PM
I don't think by normal standards this is expensive.

Per metre the aluminium is about £200 for a 4m wide strip.

Compare this to a road for example, a road will cost about £1000-£3000 for roughly the same width; so topping them with aluminium adds very little cost; it would last ages, and it doesn't wear.

So you could quite conceivably put aluminium channels everywhere and use that instead of roads.
Nucleophobe
Mon Oct 27 2014, 05:35PM
Nucleophobe Registered Member #108 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:44PM
BigBad wrote ...

I don't think by normal standards this is expensive.

Per metre the aluminium is about £200 for a 4m wide strip.

Compare this to a road for example, a road will cost about £1000-£3000 for roughly the same width; so topping them with aluminium adds very little cost; it would last ages, and it doesn't wear.

So you could quite conceivably put aluminium channels everywhere and use that instead of roads.

I'm not sure I follow - you need to consider cost per length for aluminum channels vs. traditional asphault road. A road costs "about £1000-£3000" for what length?
*EDIT: Apparently I can't read. You said "Per metre...", but you didn't specify the thickness. Anyway, I verified your claim I guess!
Some quick numbers I found say that it costs ~$6 million (USD, or ~£4 million) per lane per kilometer of asphault rode Link2

If, in addition, two narrow aluminum channels, say 60cm wide x 0.5cm thick, were to added to the road surface, that's about 10m^3 of aluminum per km. Density of aluminum is ~2700 kg/m^3, so we are talking about 27000 kg of aluminum at about $2 / kg... so only ~$60000 / km / lane? (or £40000 /km /lane) Wow.

I hadn't thought of the fact that you would only need two narrow channels rather than coating the entire surface.

Still, losses with wheels are not so bad. Even if you go through all the trouble to make aluminum-plated roadways for hovering vehicles, you will still have aerodynamic drag. I'm not sure what you really gain other than cool factor and (maybe) a smoother ride.
Patrick
Mon Oct 27 2014, 06:11PM
Where are we to mine all this aluminum, which will be permanently out of circulation for other purposes?

During WW2 and the cold war, the US, UK and others were desperate for aluminum, copper, mercury and other metals.
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: