Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Universal Driver 2.7 Rev C

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
loneoceans
Wed Feb 18 2015, 10:53PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Vitalii wrote ...

Hey guys. This board looks really cool with UVLO!
I hope to be in US next month and buy it (or just buy components).

But can you kindly take look on my last question about UD-2.5 (on UD-2.5 thread)? When I power it on from 24V DC I burn U3. Why???

Looks like you figured out the problem already :).

Anyway quick update - I've received the latest UD2.7C boards and while populating them I realized I had a few ICs short! Have parts on order and they should arrive very soon, and I'll be able to get the latest revision tested and sent out to any folks who were interested. You will get a message/email once they are ready.

As for the previous 2.7 boards, I've had some feedback from a few folks that it's working great in their coils, so I'm happy to hear that. Have I think 5 or more boards left after all those who were interested.
RateReducer
Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:08PM
RateReducer Registered Member #4603 Joined: Wed Apr 25 2012, 07:33PM
Hi!
I just ordered the parts for the board with the "Populated Mouser Project Order" I noticed that the Slot-7 Inductors need to be ordered at Coilcraft... Wich values shall i buy? I want to run big bricks similar to CM300 so i guess the 29-49uH inductors will fit ^^
Which value is good for small IGBTs e.g. for 200kHz or QCW operation?

Are there any other parts missing in the Populated Mouser Project Order?

Regards, Daniel
Goodchild
Wed Feb 25 2015, 03:17PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM

Just a note.

The zip folder with the eagle files on your website for Rev C is empty. I downloaded it and the zip folder doesn't have any files in it.

Maybe it's just me? Thought I would mention it.
loneoceans
Wed Feb 25 2015, 09:21PM
RateReducer wrote ...

Hi!
I just ordered the parts for the board with the "Populated Mouser Project Order" I noticed that the Slot-7 Inductors need to be ordered at Coilcraft... Wich values shall i buy? I want to run big bricks similar to CM300 so i guess the 29-49uH inductors will fit ^^
Which value is good for small IGBTs e.g. for 200kHz or QCW operation?

Regards, Daniel

The actual value depends very much on the parameters of your circuit and transistors used / operating frequency etc, but if I recall right, I think 7M3-123 is good for TO247 transistors, and the 393 good for larger CM200/300 transistors. Mouser also doesn't stock the plastic fiber receivers, which you need to get from Digikey (but this is optional). I was thinking of switching to a different inductor but it turns out that tunable inductors are really not common! The mouser order is just from what I ordered - you should check it yourself to make sure all the parts are there.

Replying Eric - thanks for help pointing that out! I'll re-upload the file. I've had some problems with files getting messed up and images not loading properly, so I'll get to re-uploading a bunch of stuff. Maybe I'll put it up on another more reliable fileshare or dropbox. Also a shout-out to Eric who worked on lots of improvements for the UD2.5. Hopefully people can continue working to improve it, just like the work of Bart and Eric previously. smile

Also, here's the Rev C version:

16609454605 2c6010ffb9 Z

I have it soldered up and tested from about 12kHz to 1Mhz along with the associated features such as UVLO and it performs as expected. Working on getting my page updated with more details as well.

For those folks who ordered, I've sent out a mail to you. Please let me know if you want them, otherwise if I do not get a reply, I'll send them out to other people who are on the wait list (ordered too few again -.-). Thanks!
loneoceans
Mon May 25 2015, 10:06PM
[Update - all sold out]

I recently made another small run of blue PCBs, drop me a PM if anyone is interested!

Also some questions I've had that I wanted to clarify:
- The UVLO can be replaced any other similar UVLO of a different cut-off voltage. E.g. you can use a 4.5V UVLO and change the resistors.
- UD2.7C fixes the bug in the 24V rail - for revision A and B, a simple diode fixes the problem.
- The large capacitor in slot C4C is not required for normal operation.

17751659758 5b620ff7b7

So far I've used the version 2.7C board in my twin Semikron Coils and more recently my QCW 1.5, so they should be pretty reliable and field tested. Always appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone might have.
nzoomed
Sun Nov 22 2015, 08:10PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
RateReducer wrote ...

Regards, Daniel

Ive just finished construction of my UD 2.7 and there are a few parts missing from it as it turns out!
The weird thing is there are some components that had more than what was needed, but perhaps there was a minimum buy with some of these parts?
For future reference to those that are building:

IC11 is missing (LM8365BALMF27)
No molex pins are included (08-52-0123)
JMP1 is missing (69190-402)

There is supposed to be 4 capacitors (C0805C105K4RACTU) but the order contains only 3.
Yet there was an extra (C1206C105K5RACTU) in the 1206 package that i was able to just solder onto C25

I probably can get the IC and molex pins from RS, but the jumper pins can easily be removed from an old motherboard or hard drive etc.

Im pretty sure thats everything, but at least it should help prevent those from making the same mistake as me!

I should have checked the order, but with so many parts on the list, i assumed it was all good.

Hopefully Loneoceans will revise the order, or i may be able to post a revised link here later :)
loneoceans
Tue Nov 24 2015, 01:15AM
nzoomed wrote ...

RateReducer wrote ...

Regards, Daniel

Ive just finished construction of my UD 2.7 and there are a few parts missing from it as it turns out!
The weird thing is there are some components that had more than what was needed, but perhaps there was a minimum buy with some of these parts?
For future reference to those that are building:

IC11 is missing (LM8365BALMF27)
No molex pins are included (08-52-0123)
JMP1 is missing (69190-402)

There is supposed to be 4 capacitors (C0805C105K4RACTU) but the order contains only 3.
Yet there was an extra (C1206C105K5RACTU) in the 1206 package that i was able to just solder onto C25

I probably can get the IC and molex pins from RS, but the jumper pins can easily be removed from an old motherboard or hard drive etc.

Im pretty sure thats everything, but at least it should help prevent those from making the same mistake as me!

I should have checked the order, but with so many parts on the list, i assumed it was all good.

Hopefully Loneoceans will revise the order, or i may be able to post a revised link here later :)

Thanks for looking through. I'll try to get the list updated. The mouser cart was just what I had ordered at the time and I had a lot of spare components on hand; you should be easily able to populate the cart from the BOM list though.

Also, I have a bunch of extra boards. Drop me a mail (loneoceans at g mail d0t com) if you're interested. :)

nzoomed
Tue Nov 24 2015, 04:42AM
loneoceans wrote ...

Thanks for looking through. I'll try to get the list updated. The mouser cart was just what I had ordered at the time and I had a lot of spare components on hand; you should be easily able to populate the cart from the BOM list though.

Also, I have a bunch of extra boards. Drop me a mail (loneoceans at g mail d0t com) if you're interested. :)

Its all good :)
I may be interested in another board or two after this project perhaps.
At least i know you still have spare boards.

Im interested to learn more about the new driver board you are designing :)
nzoomed
Sun Dec 06 2015, 10:21AM
I just finished assembly and everything seems all sweet - for now anyways.
Except i think i did one stupid thing... :(

After switching on my UD board (had it on for about 30 seconds) i noticed smoke coming from one of the GDT MOSFETS (pretty sure it was U3)

Anyway, i quickly switched it off and then realised that i had not connected the phase jumpers to the board!

I expect this was the cause, as i suspect this prevents any negative bias when idle causing them to take off and oscillate heavily?
It has been fine after connecting them and nothing is hot to touch.

Question is, will it be OK, or have i cooked it?
It doesnt look burnt and nothing has melted that i can see, it did not even smell from the smoke.

I wont be able to fully test it until i get my MIDI controller (next week hopefully)

But if anyone can point out to me what components are likely to be damaged, that would be great, as i will order some spares.

I have two outputs if the first one doesn't work anyway, so not all is lost.

Justin
Sun Dec 06 2015, 11:28AM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
nzoomed wrote ...

I just finished assembly and everything seems all sweet - for now anyways.
Except i think i did one stupid thing... :(

After switching on my UD board (had it on for about 30 seconds) i noticed smoke coming from one of the GDT MOSFETS (pretty sure it was U3)

Anyway, i quickly switched it off and then realised that i had not connected the phase jumpers to the board!

I expect this was the cause, as i suspect this prevents any negative bias when idle causing them to take off and oscillate heavily?
It has been fine after connecting them and nothing is hot to touch.

Question is, will it be OK, or have i cooked it?
It doesnt look burnt and nothing has melted that i can see, it did not even smell from the smoke.

I wont be able to fully test it until i get my MIDI controller (next week hopefully)

But if anyone can point out to me what components are likely to be damaged, that would be great, as i will order some spares.

I have two outputs if the first one doesn't work anyway, so not all is lost.

If the magic smoke escapes, all hope is lost.
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: