Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First SSTC design - Need some critique

Move Thread LAN_403
Sigurthr
Sat Jun 28 2014, 05:56PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Keep in mind that if you use secondary current feedback for a SSTC you can't run it CW without a pull up resistor/momentary switch on the enable input (provided the gate drivers have an initialization pulse, like the UCC chips do, and your interrupter can sink current / pull down to ground as well as source) as the CT will look like a DC short to ground effectively pulling your feedback input to ground.
DerStrom8
Sat Jun 28 2014, 06:12PM
DerStrom8 Registered Member #3704 Joined: Sun Feb 20 2011, 01:13PM
Sigurthr wrote ...

Keep in mind that if you use secondary current feedback for a SSTC you can't run it CW without a pull up resistor/momentary switch on the enable input (provided the gate drivers have an initialization pulse, like the UCC chips do, and your interrupter can sink current / pull down to ground as well as source) as the CT will look like a DC short to ground effectively pulling your feedback input to ground.

Ok, stupid question that I should know the answer to but don't--What does "CW" stand for?

But thanks, that's a good point. I will probably be using a pull-down resistor on the Enable input of the 27425, I just forgot to include it in the schematic. For the time being I am using an Arduino for the interrupter, which allows the user to adjust the frequency and duty cycle independently. I will probably replace it with less sensitive circuitry later on.

Thanks,
Matt
Sigurthr
Sat Jun 28 2014, 06:37PM
CW, or "constant wave" meaning uninterrupted.

We don't generally use the term anymore but most singly resonant SSTCs people make or see today are ISSTCs (interrupted SSTCs). To run CW is to run a "standard" SSTC; no interruption - the enable pins are pulled high and held there by either the interrupter (easily done on arduino / MCU) or a seperate switch and resistor or internal pullup resistors on the gate drive chips.

The issue is that when using a secondary base current transformer the input to the schmitt triggers is pulled to ground through the DC resistance of the CT, so there will be NO feedback. When you use an interrupter or operate in pulse mode the transition from low to high on the enable pins cause the gate drive chips to start up oscillation at whatever frequency is natural to them for a few cycles. This is enough to ping the resonator and cause a feedback signal to flow through the CT, which then takes over and sustains oscillation at the resonator's resonant frequency. If you don't use an interrupter or run "hard wired" CW (either from an unswitched pull-up resistor, or the chips internal pull ups) there is no transition from low to high on the enables and the chips don't know to send out the oscillation start pulse. The chips just sit there in the off state because there is no feedback present. Steve Ward's early designs used a 555 timer loosely capacitively coupled to the feedback input in order to start oscillation for this reason, but getting the right level of starter oscillation that doesn't swamp the feedback is tricky and problematic. I've found that a simple current limited oscillation start switch is all that is needed. Simply momentarily pull the enable pins to ground if no interrupter is connected or program the interrupter for a CW mode where output is brought from low to high and held there. The no interrupter + pull down resistor + switch is nice as it also performs the function of an emergency off switch.

Feel free to check out my site about SSTCs, which has all of my schematics, write-ups, and data files freely available for download. Link2 There's also videos of my coils and designs working, as well as a video on how to properly phase a GDT.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Jun 28 2014, 06:42PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Use Javatc to calculate the resonance. The secondary coil itself has a distributed capacitance, the primary and topload position also play roles (additional capacitances etc). By using the calculations you wrote, the error can probably be as large as 50%.
DerStrom8
Sat Jun 28 2014, 07:06PM
Sigurthr wrote ...

CW, or "constant wave" meaning uninterrupted.

We don't generally use the term anymore but most singly resonant SSTCs people make or see today are ISSTCs (interrupted SSTCs). To run CW is to run a "standard" SSTC; no interruption - the enable pins are pulled high and held there by either the interrupter (easily done on arduino / MCU) or a seperate switch and resistor or internal pullup resistors on the gate drive chips.

The issue is that when using a secondary base current transformer the input to the schmitt triggers is pulled to ground through the DC resistance of the CT, so there will be NO feedback. When you use an interrupter or operate in pulse mode the transition from low to high on the enable pins cause the gate drive chips to start up oscillation at whatever frequency is natural to them for a few cycles. This is enough to ping the resonator and cause a feedback signal to flow through the CT, which then takes over and sustains oscillation at the resonator's resonant frequency. If you don't use an interrupter or run "hard wired" CW (either from an unswitched pull-up resistor, or the chips internal pull ups) there is no transition from low to high on the enables and the chips don't know to send out the oscillation start pulse. The chips just sit there in the off state because there is no feedback present. Steve Ward's early designs used a 555 timer loosely capacitively coupled to the feedback input in order to start oscillation for this reason, but getting the right level of starter oscillation that doesn't swamp the feedback is tricky and problematic. I've found that a simple current limited oscillation start switch is all that is needed. Simply momentarily pull the enable pins to ground if no interrupter is connected or program the interrupter for a CW mode where output is brought from low to high and held there. The no interrupter + pull down resistor + switch is nice as it also performs the function of an emergency off switch.

Feel free to check out my site about SSTCs, which has all of my schematics, write-ups, and data files freely available for download. Link2 There's also videos of my coils and designs working, as well as a video on how to properly phase a GDT.

Okay, I was very close! I had the right definition for "CW" in mind, I just wasn't sure what it stood for. I just assumed "C" stood for "continuous" and figured it meant "without interruption". I do not plan to run this coil in continuous mode at all, but I will still have a pull-down resistor. I only want the coil to run when I tell it to via the enable pins on the UCC27425.

Definitely going to check out the link, thanks very much!

Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

Use Javatc to calculate the resonance. The secondary coil itself has a distributed capacitance, the primary and topload position also play roles (additional capacitances etc). By using the calculations you wrote, the error can probably be as large as 50%.

I completely forgot about that. When I first started thinking about the coil I knew that the secondary coil would have some capacitance, but when I got to the design part I forgot to consider it. I ran a quick test with JavaTC but my values weren't very accurate. I will run it again and will get back to you. Thanks for pointing this out!

I ran JavaTC, only filling in information for the secondary and topload, and this is the output:

1anhc

So it looks like I was off by around 34KHz. I am thinking I will most likely add a second toroid on top of the current one. I'm about to add that into JavaTC to see what I get.

By the way, the image JavaTC creates based on the information seems to be in the wrong place for me. Does anyone else have this issue?

2v0cpk0

Sigurthr wrote ...

Hello Sigurthr,

I did not realize you ("Sigurthr") were Matt Giordano. I have watched several of your Youtube videos for inspiration! cheesey

After adding the second toroid I get ~232kHz, which sounds much closer to what I was looking for.

9lbkwg
6nuqhj

Regards,
Matt
Mads Barnkob
Sat Jun 28 2014, 09:00PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
DerStrom8: You have managed to make 7 double posts and 1 quadruple post.

You need to read the site rules before you post again! Link2

Use the edit function and if you need additional attachment in a edit, use the attachment forum for that.

Consider this a fair warning as I have to merge so many posts.

A topic related note, SSTCs does not always like huge toploads, with the increased load to drive it can more easily flash over at the primary that usually have a very tight coupling to the secondary in a SSTC.
DerStrom8
Sat Jun 28 2014, 09:09PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

DerStrom8: You have managed to make 7 double posts and 1 quadruple post.

You need to read the site rules before you post again! Link2

Use the edit function and if you need additional attachment in a edit, use the attachment forum for that.

Consider this a fair warning as I have to merge so many posts.

A topic related note, SSTCs does not always like huge toploads, with the increased load to drive it can more easily flash over at the primary that usually have a very tight coupling to the secondary in a SSTC.

My apologies, I was not aware that I was breaking the rules. Do you consider "double posts" to be consecutive, or duplicate? I am a moderator on another forum and a member on another one after that, and I guess I'm used to their rules, since they seemed fairly standard. I assumed they were the same here, though perhaps I shouldn't have. I'll take a look at the rules for this specific site.

Thanks for the note regarding the large topload. I had not thought of that. Perhaps I should rethink the overall size of the secondary. I was hoping to re-use my SGTC secondary, but maybe that's not the best idea, especially for such a low-power TC.

Thanks, and once again I apologize for the multiple posts in a row. I'll remember that they're discouraged from now on. Thanks for merging them for me.

Cheers,
Matt
Sigurthr
Sat Jun 28 2014, 09:11PM
Yep, that's me, heh, thanks for the views and appreciation! One day I'll get around to changing my given name, but it's very expensive and quite a big hassle. I originally had an actual youtube channel name that wasn't my legal name but when google merged with youtube they forced my legal name upon my channel.

I've had luck with pushing up to a 12"x3" toroid on a CW standard SSTC, but beyond that I ran into issues as Mads has mentioned. You should look into adding turns to lower the fres instead of a second topload. You won't have nearly as much trouble with eddy currents heating your secondary when running ISSTC though, so you'll be able to get away with pretty tight coupling if you insulate well.
DerStrom8
Sat Jun 28 2014, 09:36PM
Sigurthr wrote ...
I've had luck with pushing up to a 12"x3" toroid on a CW standard SSTC, but beyond that I ran into issues as Mads has mentioned. You should look into adding turns to lower the fres instead of a second topload. You won't have nearly as much trouble with eddy currents heating your secondary when running ISSTC though, so you'll be able to get away with pretty tight coupling if you insulate well.

Okay, then my thought for a second topload is probably a very bad idea. The lower one is 4"x12.5", so that will give you an idea of the scale. I considered picking up some cheap 3" diameter duct from my local Kmart, so I might use that to make a toroid instead of re-using the one I have. Furthermore, I have reconsidered reusing my other secondary. I'm thinking I might just get a 6" diameter PVC pipe and wind a new coil about 16" high. Calculating for a toroid 3" x 10", I get a frequency of ~191kHz. I can't complain about that! It might look a little goofy, but it should work (assuming I didn't miss something).

Thanks again for the feedback!
Matt
TwirlyWhirly555
Sat Jun 28 2014, 10:06PM
TwirlyWhirly555 Registered Member #4104 Joined: Fri Sept 23 2011, 06:54PM
I used plastic laminate sheets round my mini SSTC to stop flash overs ,

9" arcs from a 2"x2.8" secondary keep going down before that :P

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: