All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Big Mama CNC Mill

Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Jan 11 2015, 08:46PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
OH NO! @.@... Ball bearings!?

I hope it works out! I don't want to be an alarmist, but you probably should be using pre-loaded taper bearings for the heavy loads, not ball bearings.

My Atlas uses taper bearings for heavy lateral loading.

Hope it all works out, I want to see this in action.
Dr. H.
Mon Jan 12 2015, 08:28AM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Hi Hazmatt

I've been looking at many commercial BT30 spindles and most of them use such kind of bearings (the bt30 holder is quite small). I deliberately used two sizes bigger bearings (the bt holder looks smallish compared to the spindle itself cheesey ). I don't plan on cutting steel (or very rarely if the mill is strong enough) so for aluminum and plastics will be plenty.... I hope. I also have spindle with smaller than those bearings cutting aluminum for years using 6 and 8mm tools so I am pretty sure it will work for what I plan to use it. if it doesn't - the bearing bed on the shaft is long enough to put two roller bearings, the housing will have to be re-bored though.

The main issue in the moment is the big runout. Trying to find where to grind it.

Cheers
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:01AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed! I want to see a video of this thing throwing chips!
Kizmo
Tue Jan 13 2015, 01:24PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
To me the bearing configuration looks good. If you want high speed operation at something like more than 5000rpm, angular contact ball bearings are by far most common choice. Nearly all light/medium duty commercial machines have identical bearing configuration.

1421155811 599 FT162908 Typea

Angular contact bearings offer best things from both worlds, depending how big the contact angle is, it can withstand very large axial loads

1421155811 599 FT162908 Back To Back

And when you put two bearings back to back like this (spindle bearings come as precision ground pairs), all you need to do is to tighten inner races together and the preload is set. Rest is just fixing the outer races to the spindle housing.
Ash Small
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:18PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Taper rollers in the same 'back to back' configuration Kizmo suggests above will last longer between adjustment, ie, they will wear at a slower rate, or, conversely, will withstand greater loading without failing, all other factors being equal.

I'm with Hazmatt on this one. Taper rollers are pretty cheap these days.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the 7209 bearing and it is an angular contact ball bearing, so you should be able to set it up with no runout at all.
Kizmo
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:32PM
But tapered roller bearings wont handle the speed very well. That is why high speed spindles dont use them very often. Commercial spindles with angular contact ball bearings will last 1000s of hours :) And you dont adjust pair of angular contact bearings. Just tighten them together and thats it.
Ash Small
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:35PM
Kizmo wrote ...

But tapered roller bearings wont handle the speed very well. That is why high speed spindles dont use them very often. Commercial spindles with angular contact ball bearings will last 1000s of hours :) And you dont adjust pair of angular contact bearings. Just tighten them together and thats it.

That's a fair point, Kizmo. I'm used to slow machining speeds for stainless steel. A 30209 would probably be a good taper roller to use here, but for high shaft speeds balls may well be better.

EDIT: Says in the spec sheet that 30209's are good for max 8000 rpm, but 6000 rpm is preferable. Link2
Kizmo
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:50PM
You dont want to be anywhere near its rated speed or the life expectancy will drop like stone. Bearings in our 12000rpm machines are rated for 30000rpm.

I work with aluminum and plastics most of the time, very rarely see machines running below 10000rpm :) Even when machining steel i prefer 10mm end mill at 5800rpm and HSM toolpaths to get the metal flying.

This is how i do steel with low rigidity, low power Haas. The 10mm carbide end mill was good for 90 parts :)

Large tools in stainless or other similar material is whole another ball game
Ash Small
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:57PM
Kizmo wrote ...

You dont want to be anywhere near its rated speed or the life expectancy will drop like stone. Bearings in our 12000rpm machines are rated for 30000rpm.

I agree. Pretty impressive stuff wink

EDIT: I've just checked the max rpm of the 7209's, and it's 6,300 in grease and 9,000 in oil, so not much different to the taper rollers. The load ratings are a lot lower, too.
Dr. H.
Wed Jan 14 2015, 06:19AM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice discussion. The motor I have won't be able to rotate the spindle at the speed discussed and I am pretty sure it won't be able to get above 4-5k rpm due to balance issues. This is my first spindle and it was a big learning curve. For now the spindle is in the "lets see if it even work" stage. Hope to get the machine moving in the next two three months.
You've seen the frame (welded beams with machined surfaces after that) so it won't be sturdy as a big professional machine requiring big spindle.

Cheers

Cheers

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: