Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla Coil Help

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Sigurthr
Thu Jan 29 2015, 02:38AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Also, you can't measure the primary circuit resonance with the secondary not in place. The mutual inductance of the secondary will affect the resonant frequency of the primary, and vice versa.

I find most builders have better results by plugging data carefully into JavaTC to model the expected approximate resonance points than they do by trying to measure it directly. I say give the program a go.
Kolas
Thu Jan 29 2015, 06:40AM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
I'm not going to say anything that hasn't already been said.
I agree that Link2 might be a Huge help to you now.
What you guys need to do is an "asbuilt" using your current configuration.
While much better performance comes from synthetic materials, Glass capacitors are certainly the cheapest route. I don't like them but they will do you well. Expect some bottles to break.
MOT's are very resilient and don't care much about be shorted.
Beef up your wiring, its just too small a gauge, everyone is saying it.
Remember the ring down is hundreds of amps. And those charges need "room" to move. I'd like to say that the primary winding should be the smallest in the system, but that is likely not going to happen. Every bit of wiring that isn't "coupled" to the secondary is leakage inductance. and yes, 1 inch matters. The entirety of the primary should no be used. The larger your hookup conductors, the lower their inductance.
I think the biggest problem is the size of your tank cap. 24 NF is TOO SMALL!!! You're pumping all this power, and you've got a tiny tank cap. The first thing I think you should do is at least double the size. Doing this will let you decrease the number of primary turns. Java TC will let you determine the resonant frequency of the primary. It is very important to try and calculate it out.
I like that you youngsters are playing around with this tech. Keep it up, and _Don't ever quit!_
The moral of my story.... get more tank capacitance. Try to calculate the capacitance for about 10 turns on the primary. Just like Matt said.
The look of your coil is secondary to it's function. So don't worry about that. Machine techniques evolve with time. Once this one is functional, I'm sure the next one will be quite pretty.
skyler
Thu Feb 05 2015, 04:17PM
skyler Registered Member #42712 Joined: Fri Jan 10 2014, 01:21AM
Thanks everyone for the help. Got the coil to work better with a little bit of your suggestins and something else- the ballast.

At first, I had a tiny MOT as the ballast and I replaced it with a bigger MOT and it worked so much better. I then took the ballast off, and the spark gap didn't even fire properly until I just let it free slow down. At some speeds, I got strange giant arcs.

So in general, I am using a MOT with secondary shorted as power ballast.

The question: What does the ballast have an affect on the coil other than the power output?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Feb 06 2015, 03:36AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
It's basically going to limit the surge current and act like a resistor. The voltage drop across the inductor is V = L di/dt, where di/dt is the rate change of current over time.

The resistance the circuit "sees" or reactance, is Xl = 2*pi*f*L, so you can see how this translates to a resistance, and how the resistance interacts with the current di/dt by the relationship

V = Xl di/dt = 2*pi*f*L di/dt

The amount if inductance that you have can also be varied by changing the degree of shorting of the secondary due to the mutual inductance and coupling of the transformer.

k = M/(sqrt(L1L2))

If you measure the inductance of the primary when the secondary is open, the inductance will be higher then when the secondary is shorted. So if we control this with a large rheostat, we can control the degree of the effective inductance reflected back to the primary, but this is just theory.
It would take a substantial rheostat to control the secondary of the MOT because we're dealing with a 20:1 ratio or so, so you would need a 250W rheostat at maybe 500 ohms or 1000 ohms, which would be an interesting experiment.
You would be changing the secondary reactance and resistance which changes the primary impedance by the impedance ratio.

Anyway, there are some intersting things going on with the transformer as a current ballast.
Kolas
Mon Feb 09 2015, 05:26AM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
this sounds a lot like the beginning of a variable reactor. which may not be entirely impossible.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: