All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple Valve Amp

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Fri Dec 13 2013, 05:19PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I forgot to say that the unloaded voltages on the secondaries may well be 10% or so higher than their loaded working values.
Ash Small
Fri Dec 13 2013, 05:52PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I forgot to say that the unloaded voltages on the secondaries may well be 10% or so higher than their loaded working values.
I suspected that would probably be the case. I was thinking of possibly adding a resistor, but haven't gotten around to doing any sums yet.
Ash Small
Fri Oct 30 2015, 03:47AM
Ok, had a bit of a pause with this, and other projects. illness, another death in the 'family', more illness, a lot of upheaval, and a long recovery, I now find myself with a lot more time on my hands. It seems I can finally get back to projects.

I've now acquired a suitable stainless steel item to use as a chassis for the main amp. I think I'll keep the power supply remote, in it's own enclosure, with a multi pin connector of some sort. It's going to be heavy, so it makes sense. It should also reduce mains hum, I suppose. It also means I could use the same power supply for different applications in the future.

It looks as if, by adding a third stage, I could use it as a guitar amplifier as well. This is what my initial research suggests. Any comments will be welcome.

1446176847 3414 FT159213 12188838 10153241867178693 136636777 N

The main amp chassis will house three valves, I think, maybe with the option of paralleling them later, together with, hopefully, interstage transformers, output transformer(s), parafeed choke comprising, at the moment, two 20 henry 120 mA chokes in series, and parafeed capacitor. I don't yet have a suitable output transformer, but if I use parafeed I won't need a gapped one. I may double up, depending on what is available.

I've also procured some more valves. I'll have a look at them and post more details over the next few days.

Ash Small
Thu Dec 03 2015, 06:05PM
Ok, a bit of an update, the stainless chassis thing pictured above is too small for the amp chassis, but should be ok for the power supply chassis.

I now have a Williamson output transformer and two Varley 20H, 120mA chokes, which when seriesed, will give 40 Henries @ 120mA, should be plenty for the parafeed.

The Williamson output transformer is a push/pull type with no gap, so should be ideal. I'm not familiar with push pull types, so I'm unsure at the moment how to wire it for single ended with parafeed.

Should I connect the centre tapped primary in series or parallel?
1449165916 3414 FT159213 Ot And Chokes
Ash Small
Sat Feb 06 2016, 03:17AM
Ok, I'm starting to make some progress now, I think I've got everything for the power supply, although I'm still puzzling over how to connect it to the amp, I'm told I should have the amp at least a metre from the supply to eliminate mains hum.

I'm getting my head around the actual amp design now, I've had the schematic for over two years now, and I've finally had a chance to study it and redraw it for myself.

It's still work in progress, but here's my first incomplete sketch.

Ash Small
Mon Feb 08 2016, 02:11AM
Post deleted.
Ash Small
Mon Feb 08 2016, 03:42PM
Ok, I've just been given the thumbs up by Chris, who designed this amp twenty years ago. The circuit below is correct, as far as he's concerned.

The schematic posted here wasn't accurate. Please see the post below.

One of the things I like about the parafeed system, and you don't need parafeed for this circuit, by the way, is that as long as the parafeed capacitor is beefy enough it protects the most difficult part of the circuit to obtain from burning out, the output transformer. Also, with the parafeed system you don't need a gapped output transformer, one designed for a push-pull amp will do nicely.

Next job is to find suitable wire wound potentiometers. I have pretty much everything else.

Ash Small
Fri Feb 12 2016, 10:39PM
Updated OP with finalised schematic

Ok, I finally have the schematic finalised. It's taken a while to get there, Chris is one of those chaps who, like Tesla and Einstein, ....well, you know what I mean. He's the nicest chap you could wish to meet. Sometimes it seems you don't always get a 'direct answer' to the question, but maybe that's because I'm missing something wink

1455316776 3414 FT159213 Mighty Atom With Parafeed

Apparently this method of 'direct coupling' or whatever it's called is what Alan Blumlein was working on when he was killed testing the HS2 airbourne radar system in WW2.

As they say, there's a fine line between genius and insanity. ..... wink

I'd appreciate opinions by anyone who's familiar with such circuits.

This circuit did win competitions in international magazines nearly twenty years ago. I've seen the magazines.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Feb 13 2016, 04:52AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Ash, that design isn't really going to work.

If you think about how tubes and fets work, as the grid sees a potential, the tube conducts, causing a current to flow from plate to cathode.
Now on a small signal tube you have enough plate impedance (100K) such that when the tube is fully conducting the supply is fully dropped across the plate load, and the ensuing AC current flows out through a capacitor.
In a "single ended" circuit, which you have there, the plate load IS the OPT, thus when the tube conducts it causes the flux to change in the transformer and you have sound.
The choke is there for smoothing the rectified DC and limiting inrush current.

Your circuit does not have a low impedance path from the transformer to ground, so little current will flow in the transformer, and likely .1W of output.

In order to get the OPT working you will need to re-arrange the plate connection such that B+ flows through the transformer to the plate, only then will the system produce output.

It looks to me like this design is an attempt to use one valve as a CCS and the other valve as the amplifier, which is fine, but the OPT is still in the wrong place, but give it a shot and see what happens.
Dr. Slack
Sat Feb 13 2016, 07:58AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Rule 1 of presenting schematics - Use component numbering. It's much easier to refer to R3, than 'the pot in the tail of the upper tube'.

Anyhow, an interesting configuration. My valve practice is pretty rusty, but I think I see how it's meant to work.

The choke does more than filter the current. It's so large that at audio frequencies it's a current source. In microwave amplifier work, I'd supply my FET drain through a few nH, for the same reason.

The current source theme is continued all the way down, though both valves self-biasing through their cathode resistors.

The two large caps (component numbering please) provide a signal ground at the top tube cathode. The top cap charges up until there's no voltage across the OPT, but conducts the signal to it from the top plate. AFAICS, the top tube + choke form a controllable bidirectional signal current source, connected to the signal grounded OPT, so plenty of power available.

The DC coupling so that the bottom tube output connects to the top tube grid is quite clever, fitting in as it does with the DC bias establishment.

I was a bit dubious about the DC stability of putting two self-biassed valves in series, how well will they share voltage? But then I remembered that triodes are not as high output impedance as pentodes, so perhaps it's not as bad as I thought. Presumably that's what the pots in the tails of the tubes are for?

Other than a certain interesting wierdness, what advantages is this configuration supposed to offer over more conventional single ended designs?
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: