Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Choosing Capacitors for Railgun [was "Greetings..."]

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Erg
Thu Feb 23 2006, 08:46AM
Erg Registered Member #214 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 07:01PM
Holy cow! I leave a bit to study for a fuel system test and when I come back my quetion has exploded into an extreamly facinating debate/knowlege exchange. I have learned a lot from these posts. Thank you very much and and please dont stop. I will have to blame you all for my new addiction (HV & rail guns). Thank you again. I think that I will need to do a bit more work but I need to find a decent schematic to work off of. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

As for the self built adjustable inductor. I was hoping that I could use this to learn more about the workings of the circuit by testing its effects on the projectile and rails at different settings to see if I can get improved/decreased performance with it. I was inspired by the fly wheel effect that is often taken advantage of in class C amplifiers. The idea of it helping or not having any real effect is exciting. I would like to start simulations to see which it may be.

I think that I will start with the lytics. Price point being the main driver for this. As for them breaking I hope at least one does - it will then be usefull as a classroom visual aid. Thus I will acheive a net gain either way.

I love the math that was mentioned in some of the earlier posts. The more I can get the better.

I am also brain storming ideas for the construction of the barrel. I have a fair idea of how to reduce friction and possibly avoid the use of injectors (or use a solenoid to start the movement and use opto electronics to trigger).

But before I can do that I need to get two things decided fairly firmly: Cap bank size/strength and mass/composition of the projectile. Once I can get the rough idea of a good mass for the projectile I can make it aerodynamic and have a good CG for flight. Then I can design the barrel arround it. It seems to me to be an area that there is not a lot of discussion about that can make a difference in the performance of the overall design. I see some fun times in the machine shop soon.

Thank you all again.
Erg
robert
Thu Feb 23 2006, 03:49PM
robert Registered Member #188 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 05:18PM
Electrolytic caps do work well, if the right ones are chosen.
Epcos makes some nice low ESR/ESL capacitors, others probably too.
These are made for high current, as can be seen from the almost 2cm thick connection bolts with about 20x the connection surface compared to typical 36D Capacitors.
Im having 25 pcs around, specified 12000µF 350V, 91x150mm, 17miliohm ESR 13nh ESL but i dont have any time for making the railgun i bought these for, so im selling these.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: