Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Junky QCW

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Uspring
Fri May 17 2013, 09:35AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Dex wrote:
assuming ~15ms ramp,and 60 kW peak power with linear rise of input power that would give:

W ~ 60kW×15ms/2 = 450 J
If zrg ramps up voltage linearly, power consumption would rise much more steeply, more like V^4. So the total energy would be much less. If he'd use shorter bursts, the bang energy would be even less, probably at the cost of having the nice swordlike sparks.

generating 7' long sparks in normal atmosfere with less than 100 kV top voltage is an amazing.
Interesting info. Where did you get that from, I couldn't find a source?

Steve Conner
Fri May 17 2013, 10:06AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Bang energies of several hundred joules are the norm for QCWs.

Steve Ward measured the topload voltage of his QCW with a high voltage probe, and got an answer of about 50kV.

Due to nonlinear streamer loading, the inverter looks somewhat like a constant current sink to the DC bus. So a linear ramp in voltage implies a linear ramp in power too.
dex
Fri May 17 2013, 10:27AM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Uspring wrote ...

Dex wrote:
assuming ~15ms ramp,and 60 kW peak power with linear rise of input power that would give:

W ~ 60kW×15ms/2 = 450 J
If zrg ramps up voltage linearly, power consumption would rise much more steeply, more like V^4. So the total energy would be much less. If he'd use shorter bursts, the bang energy would be even less, probably at the cost of having the nice swordlike sparks.

generating 7' long sparks in normal atmosfere with less than 100 kV top voltage is an amazing.
Interesting info. Where did you get that from, I couldn't find a source?

ok,maybe less but not much less.

for excersise,let's assume both current and voltage rise in a linear fashion (and this isn't very true for current i guess).
we would have:
i(t)~Im*t/Tr
u(t)=Um*t/Tr

P(t)=u(t)*i(t) *t²/Tr²=Pm*t²/Tr²

W=∫Pm*t²/Tr² dt=(Pm/Tr²)∫t²dt

since we integrate from t=0 to t=Tm ,the result would be:

W=Pm*Tr/3=60*15/3= 300J
Steve Conner wrote ...

Bang energies of several hundred joules are the norm for QCWs.

Steve Ward measured the topload voltage of his QCW with a high voltage probe, and got an answer of about 50kV.

Due to nonlinear streamer loading, the inverter looks somewhat like a constant current sink to the DC bus. So a linear ramp in voltage implies a linear ramp in power too.
if i remember correctly ,he has reported something like 60 kV for 5' spark?

teravolt
Fri May 17 2013, 08:01PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Steve said he grows the spark. If the voltage is only 50 to 60kv then the spark has to be all current to get that long. It is reasonable to asume the spark length is reflective of how much energy storage, ie capacitance, there is in the ramp driver.
Uspring
Sat May 18 2013, 07:57AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Steve Conner wrote:
Ok, I thought, the 100kV quote about zrg's sparks was based on some measurement of his.

I confused the toroids voltage with the bus voltage. The bus voltage is the one with the linear ramp.

@dex:
I agree with your calculation of bang energy. What I meant to say is, that if you are looking for the longest sparks for a given bang energy, QCW isn't the way to go.

PhilGood
Sun May 19 2013, 03:17AM
PhilGood Registered Member #3806 Joined: Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:20PM
Awesome Coil !

Never seen such an impressive Arc lenght / secondary lenght ratio, great job

What is the max rep rate you can run the coil at for long time without overheating ? Is there any way to increase it ?
dex
Sun May 19 2013, 08:18AM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Uspring wrote ...

What I meant to say is, that if you are looking for the longest sparks for a given bang energy, QCW isn't the way to go.

agreed, qcw is more like "the longest spark for given voltage" smile
but,for the sake of qcw construction one should be aware of energy requirements as well .
Steve Ward
Tue May 21 2013, 09:51PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
The last time i measured my Tesla Gun after just calibrating my HV probe, i measured the initiation voltage for corona at 39kV and the voltage required to create a spark to bridge a 56" gap to be 55kV. The data suggested a fairly linear increase in top voltage for a linear increase in spark length. So another 16kV should be required for 112" sparks is what id predict for a first order estimate. This means even super high power QCW coils shouldnt have problems with voltage standoff, other than maybe their sparks terminate to ground too easily.

I only measured the "straight spark" ramp setting, so i need to see what voltage it gets to when i ramp much faster, but id guess its only 60kV or so.

ZRG, Do you know the coupling coefficient of your tesla coil? I found this to make a big difference in the ability to make straight sparks. The coupling on my latest design is ~.26, and i think this is too low for making the sword sparks, instead i get the straight segmented sparks.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: