All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

igbt speed

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Kizmo
Thu Aug 09 2012, 12:30PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
This thread is getting interesting :)

One thing that is related to this temperature issue is different failure modes. So far i have seen two different failure modes in drsstc applications (both measure dead short over C-E)

1. Only one or rarely two parallel dies are shorted, very little visible damage and usually rest of the brick is still fine (cut bonding wires and put it back together -> works)

2. Everything is obliterated, usually IGBT case is also ruptured.

Violent failures are usually result of large scale overvoltage or overcurrent but how about these silent failures? Maybe thermal cycling stress -> igbt chip delamination and localized overheating -> pop?
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Aug 09 2012, 12:36PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I think if the bonding wires survive, the failure is "silent". If they fuse, a power arc forms which fries the insides and the expanding gasses can rupture the case.
Ben Solon
Thu Aug 09 2012, 03:43PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
I think that the silent deaths are exactly what's been just pointed out. Uneven incuctance causes one die to recieve a higher transient than the rest. No over current or blown bonding wires, just an over voltage failure.
Steve Conner
Thu Aug 09 2012, 07:32PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, but the point is that semiconductors always fail short circuit, and we like to use them with big energy storage cap banks connected across them. No matter how the module is stressed, one die will always fail before the others, and then the DC bus will discharge through it and its bond wires. A H-bridge has two devices in series across the DC bus, but if one fails, the other will find itself driving a short circuit and will fail very soon after.

I've seen big IGBT brick and SCR datasheets that quote a "case rupture I2t". Presumably the idea is to use a fuse with a smaller I2t than this, so the part won't explode violently, blow the equipment to pieces and maybe injure some personnel.

But presumably there's some lower value of I2t where the die that fails won't explode violently enough to nuke all of the others. smile
Ben Solon
Thu Aug 09 2012, 08:36PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

I've seen big IGBT brick and SCR datasheets that quote a "case rupture I2t". Presumably the idea is to use a fuse with a smaller I2t than this, so the part won't explode violently, blow the equipment to pieces and maybe injure some personnel.

But presumably there's some lower value of I2t where the die that fails won't explode violently enough to nuke all of the others. smile

now if only that fuse was a breaker tongue that would solve the over-current problem in coiling.

and while we're at it maybe a tvs that when a transient appears an internal sensor cuts power to the dies, and diverts it... but then the igbt would cease being a brick, and become a computerized switching device XD
Ben Solon
Thu Aug 09 2012, 08:56PM
if its possible, can someone merge this attachment to my last post?
Steve Conner
Thu Aug 09 2012, 09:00PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I have some solid-state coils that are getting on for 10 years old. They still have the original IGBTs. I've never blown a single one.

I think the only overcurrent problem in coiling is people who turn the current limiter up too far or run without one. If you have a current limiter, a driver that does zero current switching, and a nice low inductance bus layout, there's your computerised switching device right there.

When you get to brick sized IGBTs, it's hard to find TVS-type devices big enough to catch the massive spikes that you can generate. In my OLTC work I tried and gave up, I used an active clamping scheme that fired the IGBT permanently on and shut down the power supply.

That was needed because the OLTC used a single switch supplied with constant current through a DC bus inductor. A DRSSTC uses a voltage source inverter. If your bus inductance is low enough, the diodes built into the IGBTs will catch voltage spikes and dump them back into the DC bus capacitors, so no TVS are needed.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: