All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ArcAttack! Tesla Gun

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Thu Jun 21 2012, 10:28PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I admire the amount of development leading to this project,
and really like this result,
I put the photo shooting into the air (IMG_5605) as wallpaper at work,
,,,,"what use is it?" ......D'oh.
I like it though.
P.S. most recognised it as a 'proton-pack'
Gregory
Fri Jun 22 2012, 12:24AM
Gregory Registered Member #2922 Joined: Sun Jun 13 2010, 12:08AM
How many nF are you using at primary mmc? I'm making some spice simulations here, and a phase shifted bridge really appear to do a good job!

I will try do make some circuit more simple to control it, I post here when I get some results.
Intra
Sun Jun 24 2012, 10:05PM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

Does anyone else on this forum have a serious interest in building a QCW coil?

Yeah!! Of course anyone else have a serious interest in QCW coiling!!

I saw in gate_driver.pdf a HFBR-2412T. Does it mean this phase shifted topology can be midi or audio interruptible?
I have an interest in phase shifted audio/midi interruptible topology of QCW coil, because my main interest in all this - it is sound. Singing Tesla Coil in diffirent notes make different sound. In mid freq DRSSTC create something around distortion clicks, but in hi freq it create melodiousness gradient! It is incredible! ^___^ So many different sounds in one instrument!

I'm making steps in record DR's sound on сondenser microphone with dynamic compressor and vacuum tube preamplifier and I am very pleased with the results. Here take a place my first song on DRSSTCs Link2
(video sequence I picked up a very ugly)

But DRSSTC can't play bass frequences and it's so sorrowfully. I have long puzzled over the bass section, until I saw your bass test Link2

And now, when not need to buy expensive CM600 in Class D Amp, possible to make a "non-expensive" bass-coils for playing on it via bass guitar! Yahoo!! ^____^

Can you write a tutorial for it or something, with formulas of calculations and main points. Or just write some more descriptions. I want to build a Bass-QCW and use it in my sound research and I need help.
Wolfram
Mon Jun 25 2012, 12:27PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Does the lower Z of the secondary compared to your earlier QCWs loosen the requirements for the primary side MMC? What is the capacitance of the primary MMC?

With the use of transformers between the bridge and the tank circuit, we have the freedom to make the bridge see a different primary impedance. Can this be utilized to make the coil work with a cheaper primary MMC?
Dr. ISOTOP
Mon Jun 25 2012, 06:50PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Wolfram wrote ...

Does the lower Z of the secondary compared to your earlier QCWs loosen the requirements for the primary side MMC? What is the capacitance of the primary MMC?

With the use of transformers between the bridge and the tank circuit, we have the freedom to make the bridge see a different primary impedance. Can this be utilized to make the coil work with a cheaper primary MMC?

QCW's have lots of RMS primary current. so the "MMC" needs to handle significant average power. Eric Goodchild uses a mica cap, I believe.
teravolt
Mon Jun 25 2012, 06:52PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Hi Steve nice to see you got your tesla that you were talking about at the maker fair. do you think that the life time of your lithium batteries will be shortened by the type of load that your presenting to them. I did dome reading and the harder you push them the shorter the life. If you push a smaller battery the life will be short indeed but it may be more cost effective to by a larger battery because you would get more charges out of them because they will handle the load better. Do you have a battery monitor to keep it from going under the critical voltage? What do you think of the LiFePo4 batteries?

I also noticed that your using poly caps for the resonant cap how do they hold out at those frequencies?
lightlinked
Tue Jun 26 2012, 03:19AM
lightlinked Registered Member #2087 Joined: Tue Apr 21 2009, 08:32AM
is this, this on hack a day? Link2

is the schematic on their t shirt your universal driver?
Wolfram
Tue Jun 26 2012, 06:16AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
bwang wrote ...

Wolfram wrote ...

QCW's have lots of RMS primary current. so the "MMC" needs to handle significant average power. Eric Goodchild uses a mica cap, I believe.

I know this, I was asking if the lower secondary impedance means that the primary MMC sees less reactive power for a given sparklength.
Steve Ward
Tue Jun 26 2012, 07:03PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I'll get to some other questions soon. The MMC is 18.75nF (150nF 2kV CDE 942C caps, 8 series). It was only intended to work with the low duty cycle that the gun presents. I intend on making a better MMC with a bunch of smaller MKP caps so the heat is easier to remove from them.

As far as i know, raising the secondary Q should lower the energy storage requirement in the primary coil. I uhh, havent formally proved this in anyway other than it works a lot better with the added secondary capacitance (while keeping F_op constant, so less Lsec).

As for LiPo life, im not really too up to speed on all the details of how they handle high discharge use, but the battery is *rated* for 25C continuous and 40C burst i believe. I operate at a modest 6C discharge rate, so im pretty sure its not an issue. LiFePO4s would surely work great too.

I will try do make some circuit more simple to control it, I post here when I get some results.

Hooray! yes give it a try... sometimes i miss pretty obvious ways of simplifying things the first time through, and i havent tried to think of another way to make this work yet.

And someone asked about there being a fiber optic input to the gate drive control, yes you can interface it to whatever you want (just gotta write the code!). For gun use, i opted to just use real wires for my UART comm's to the gun controller.

Oh, and it was great to meet Hack A Day, i forgot to mention that it was their CPLD tutorial that really helped get this project off the ground!

Intra
Wed Jun 27 2012, 08:48AM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

And someone asked about there being a fiber optic input to the gate drive control, yes you can interface it to whatever you want (just gotta write the code!).
I mean, can your ATmega88 midi Interrupter interface that phase shifted qcw gate driver? Or, what non-software thing need to change? Which pulse width need for this gate driver? And gate driver's MCu is already have a part of code doing recieve from fiber optic interface or it have only gun controller part?
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: