Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Life Below 5 keV

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sat Jun 16 2012, 05:19PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Charging Electrode and Double Box Details

1339866552 543 FT0 Charging Electrode Face View Upload

The solder spot is the through-hole termination of the bias input lead.

1339866575 543 FT0 Charging Electrode Side View Upload

I used the same standoff arrangements used for the collector plate.

1339866615 543 FT0 Double Box Construction Upload

I will divide the electronics box into decoupled compartments so electrons can't start making their own unofficial and unapproved
voyages around the circuit.

Sulaiman
Sat Jun 16 2012, 06:44PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I've been following this project with some interest,
had a thought,
at the ,5 keV range I think that the wavelength of x-ray photons will be of the same order as the atomic spacing of many solids (or am I way out?)
which means solids may act as bandpass filters etc?
Proud Mary
Sat Jun 16 2012, 08:20PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

I've been following this project with some interest,
had a thought,
at the ,5 keV range I think that the wavelength of x-ray photons will be of the same order as the atomic spacing of many solids (or am I way out?)
which means solids may act as bandpass filters etc?

If we first consider the case of visible light, diffraction occurs in a diffraction grating when the spaces between the lines are of the same order as the wavelength of the arriving light - a few thousand Angstroms.

The interatomic spaces in crystalline solids are conveniently of the same order as x-ray wavelengths, so the rays can be diffracted by the repeating patterns of atoms, a fact from which the huge field of x-ray diffraction has evolved since its discovery by Laue in 1912 - a hundred years ago.

A crystalline solid can disperse x-rays according to wavelength (Bragg's Law), just as as a diffraction grating can disperse white light into the colours of the rainbow. This makes it possible to select a particular wavelength, a process used in monochromators to produce (ideally) x-rays of a single wavelength.

None of this is peculiar to the ultra-soft, and I am wondering if you are thinking either of the famous x-ray 'water window' - 280 to 530 eV - which is at the heart of x-ray microscopy of biological specimens, or of the strange and marvellous world of x-ray optics with its multi-layer mirrors and lenses formed from
exotic materials.

This project thread is very much about learning as I go along, so perhaps I'll be able to give you a much better answer later on. There's always hope! smile

Proud Mary
Mon Jun 18 2012, 03:33PM
The 40GΩ resistor that calls itself 50GΩ

After having promised myself that I was going to have nothing to do with resistors of prodigious value, I found that the current noise in my T-bridge mod to the trans impedance amplifier was worse than a resistor of 50GΩ.

Reluctantly, I turned back to the resistors of prodigious value, which it turns out are also of prodigious cost if you want a human-friendly wire-ended one. Like £50 each!

This left me with only 0805 size chip resistors of which I found I had ten that had apparently cost me £1.72 each - still a ludicrous price for something the size of tea leaf. Looking at them in their packaging tape, I wasn't surprised I'd forgotten I had them. No one but a dalek could actually like them.

Anyway, I stuck two strips of copper tape onto a piece of PTFE about 1mm apart, and put spots of solder onto each of them. Using tweezers, I then set a chip resistor as a bridge between the two foil strips, and applied a 15W soldering iron.

1340031316 543 FT0 50g Resistor  0805 Resistor Upload
The resistor is 2mm from end to end

I was very dubious about this arrangement which has all the hallmarks of a real bodge, so I measured the resistance between the two foils with my Takeda Riken TR8601 High Ohm Meter, and found it to be 40GΩ - certainly less than I was hoping for, even at £1.72.

This made me go back to the product data, where I found that the tolerance of these chip resistors is only 30% - so my measured 40GΩ was within spec so far as the manufacturer was concerned:

1340031352 543 FT0 50g Resistor Data

And if I really wanted 50GΩ 1%, then there was always this season's range of exclusive Ohmite glass through-hole resistors starting at £49.58. Naturally, I decided that I had really wanted 40GΩ all along...

plazmatron
Mon Jun 18 2012, 04:54PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Rather you than me!

How do you intend to protect that tiny resistor from surface leakage, or any kind of surface contamination?
I have always found high value resistors like this, quite a challenge to work with.

Proud Mary wrote ...

Naturally, I decided that I had really wanted 40GΩ all along...

Ha! Frequently my projects are driven by outcomes like this, and sometimes by serendipity...

Les
Proud Mary
Mon Jun 18 2012, 05:34PM
plazmatron wrote ...

Rather you than me!

How do you intend to protect that tiny resistor from surface leakage, or any kind of surface contamination?
I have always found high value resistors like this, quite a challenge to work with.

Proud Mary wrote ...

Naturally, I decided that I had really wanted 40GΩ all along...

Ha! Frequently my projects are driven by outcomes like this, and sometimes by serendipity...

Les

I discovered that the resistance was 35GΩ at 100V, 37GΩ at 50V and 40GΩ at 10V - these are the kind of figures you get with gigohm resistances when a guard is not used to mitigate surface leakage. The size of the thing made it impossible to wrap a wire round it and take it to the meter's guard output, so we should take it that 40G is the total resistance of the part in parallel with the (possibly variable) leakage paths on the outside.

As for surface contamination, the resistor will be operating inside a sealed, dessicated box, but I don't find this very reassuring.

I may coat the resistor and its surrounds with clear acrylic nail polish, and then measure its resistance again when the varnish has hardened, to see if it is still usable.

I have worked out that a 10GΩ resistor will just do if I upgrade the amplifier. I've sent off for a rather large 10GΩ 3W 5% resistor for £3.11 inc p&p, so that I have a standby if the 40GΩ starts to drift, or doesn't recover from its nail polish make-over.

radhoo
Sat Jun 23 2012, 09:11PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
great design on the ion chamber, and a very interesting project that I hoped for a long time to see happening.

once you get over the high ohmic resistor issues, and get the tiny ion chamber current (well, maybe not so tiny at the x-ray intensity you are going to generate) translated into a measurable voltage, how do you plan to amplify that while keeping noise down?

already having a suitable Op amp in mind?
Proud Mary
Sat Jun 23 2012, 09:31PM
radhoo wrote ...

great design on the ion chamber, and a very interesting project that I hoped for a long time to see happening.

once you get over the high ohmic resistor issues, and get the tiny ion chamber current (well, maybe not so tiny at the x-ray intensity you are going to generate) translated into a measurable voltage, how do you plan to amplify that while keeping noise down?

already having a suitable Op amp in mind?

I'm working on it right now, Radhu! smile I've tried several designs so far. At the moment, I'm trying an FET source follower with a constant current BJT in the source lead, to get a gain hopefully >0.99 and ultra-high impedance. Then I will have a two stage amplifier - either OPA177 or OPA200 - because I have some of both. Once I have something that is stable, I will add refinements, one at a time, to see how I can improve it.

Proud Mary
Sun Jun 24 2012, 03:00PM
Glass stand-off insulators

This is how I make glass stand-off insulators using 4mm glass beads and 6mm self-adhesive copper tape. The glass beads cost 99p (EUR 1.24) per 100.

A 5mm punch cuts copper foil disks just the right size to stick on top of the 4mm glass beads. A block of hard wood placed under the copper foil,
and good sharp tap of the hammer, helps to ensure a clean cut. The cut discs go up inside the barrel of the punch, and have to be pushed out in a
column like a core bore through sedimenatry rock. A few of them get damaged in the prcoess.

1340548548 543 FT0 Glass Standoffs Tools Upload

It can be a bit fiddly peeling off the self-adhesive backing, but a scalpel blade will easily lift an edge.

1340548591 543 FT0 Glass Standoffs Upload

The completed stand-offs are ready to be stuck to the PCB copper ground plane with 5-minute epoxy.

IntraWinding
Mon Jun 25 2012, 05:42PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Could you direct backscattering electrons away from your Beryllium window by applying to it a suitably large negative bias voltage, reducing the heating effect and thus enabling a thinner window to be used?
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: