All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Class E SSTC thread

Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Sat Jul 08 2006, 11:40PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Yeah, and it is many times worse if ball burns under the foil with weak presence of oxygen.
Stink/smoke bombs are made like that :p

Poliester ball I made dried out.
I simply brought it outside and ignited ping-pong ball mold. It didn't smoke much since it had enough air to burn.
Then I just sanded the remaining carbon off the poliester ball.
I also had to repair some 'imperfections' additionally so it's drying now =)

And yes, I definitely need to fnd a better tank cap for this coil...

1152402018 89 FT12529 P1010020

hehe

PS. thanks, Steve, for info..
ragnar
Sun Jul 09 2006, 06:35AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
You'll either think this is some kind of sick joke, or that I'm a masochist, or that I'm bored. Either way, it's too late. Here's the gatedriver: =P

Let's see if I can get a little less dissipation in ze FET now.. ^^
1152426938 63 FT12529 2n7gdt

1152426938 63 FT12529 2n7gdt2

1152426938 63 FT12529 2n7gdt3

1152426938 63 FT12529 2n7gdt4
Marko
Sun Jul 09 2006, 02:05PM
What would be the real use of such a 'full bridge' of tiny FET's?
Steve Conner
Sun Jul 09 2006, 02:30PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Maybe he tried it just to see if it would work. I think it's pretty cool actually, whether it's any use or not. I guess it's some sort of gate driver for a larger FET.
Marko
Sun Jul 09 2006, 03:39PM
I sanded away remaining carbon from the poliester ball, and prepared t to be taped...

Coil worked like nuts now, topload doesn't look good like before but it's functional at least.
Another great news is that I managed to overheat the mosfet.

I blame the poor ceramic cap I tortured over there, I definitely need replacement (it is just wonderful that 100V cap survived 200V peaks, probably he healed due to enormous currents after each breech).

What I seek now is to get 15cm sparks (and hopefully best Steve Ward's coil finally smile )

1152459553 89 FT12529 P1030005 1152459553 89 FT12529 P1030006

I replaced the mosfet and got better cap. This time it is 10nF 2kV, I hope it won't trouble me anymore.

The biggest problem that terrors me now is that peak tank voltage swings up to some 430-450V, with only 50 input; I'm definitely running away there.maybe I should try to lower the number of primary turns to 2. I don't know if it is best matching foor primary but I hope to reduce peak voltage and spare mosfet's from dying.

Maybe I should even consider richie burnett's approach, wich means separating class E amp from the primary. This way I could make the amp work reliably and hopefully find best impedance match for secondary (?).

ragnar
Sun Jul 09 2006, 11:03PM
When running 50Vin I get peaks up to about 180V... if the amp is not well loaded you'll get very high drain voltage spikes. What's your coupling like?
Marko
Sun Jul 09 2006, 11:32PM
After some studying I realized that my tank voltage also hangs about 200 (and even less) volts in the beggining, and then climbs as mosfet and capacitor heat up (this new cap is even hotter than last one, I should find some MKP cap for this but I don't have any at hand sad )
Even massive HV ceramics don't behave too good..
I need to get sleep and research this tomorrow neutral

My coupling is pretty high, too high acually (?).

Also, If I remove any breakout point and not let the coil break out from topload tank voltage also stays at some 190 - 180 V.

When huge arcs detune the coil it suddenly jumps to 'hot' 400 volts.

BP, what heatsink are you using and how hot does it get over etc. one minute with etc. 100W input power?
And what spark length you get, ofcourse? smile

ragnar
Mon Jul 10 2006, 04:02AM
Play with the coupling to see how it affects the spark loading and the class-E damping, you'll have to retune frequency as you go, but it'll help you optimize the dissipation in the FET.

On mine, the tank voltage rings up about twice as high when there's no breakout. As soon as breakout occurs, the Q goes down enough for critical damping at just ~200V with 50V in.

The heatsink I'm using is the same shiny aluminium stock seen in previous photos. He gets very warm after 30secs of operation, but the coil is always sputtering and I worry about shoot-through in the FET --- I need to shield the driver circuitry.

The max sparklength I can get is about 6cm, but whenever I do this the coil tends to breakout at the edge, burning the former, and the Q goes down too much that I lose the critical damping condition on the FET.

Speaking of FETs, stuff the 2N7000 fullbridge -- my IRFP460 is now driven as a matched resonant circuit with more UCCs. When I shield the driver electronics now, I think it'll be totally stable.

You like? =-)

1152504390 63 FT1630 Pwrdrivelmatch

1152504390 63 FT1630 Pwrdrivehump

1152504390 63 FT1630 Pwrdriveresult
rev
Mon Jul 10 2006, 05:05AM
rev Registered Member #112 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:19AM
i've though of "stacking" ucc's but never literaly stacking them mostly for issues of the ones to the center most over heating. seems to not be a problem.
Mon Jul 10 2006, 05:57AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
it is somewhat common in the hifi cominuty to stack dac chips on top of eachother, but they are one step ahead of us... They put a little piece of copper/aluminum between each chip and then attach that to a heatsink on the side of the chips...

@BP as far as your problem with the coil breaking out at the top of the former... You can solve this by unwrapping a few turns at the top, then rewapping them in a loose spiral to the top of the former and then set a nice fat washer on top of that. Then stick a breakout point on top of that... If you don't want to retune with the extra topload you can omit the washer and just stick the breakout point on the side of the coil where the wire ends...

oh, and 6cm amazed Somewhere I lost a sense of scale in your pics, I was thinking more like 2cm You are certinly beating my vttc efficiency (as close as I can come you your solid state leetness) of 12cm at 1.8kw tongue

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: