Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High voltage probe for O-scope, 2 of 2, ( FABRICATION ).

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Tue Dec 20 2011, 09:38PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Wow that's really cool! It will be great to actually get wave forms from all the transformers we to get HV. If that wave form came from tapping the 9V to the primary, what are all those little pulses before the big one? Noise from the mechanical contact? I'd expect them not to be as uniform as they are.
yes its so cool! and fun too! but i think the small sines are the primary oscillating unitil the magnetic air gap collapses, then causing the main pulse to appear at the secondary.

Turkey9 wrote ...

I only ran the sweep in the sim to 10 Mhz, but at that point the attenuation had dropped a couple dB. Up at that frequency the ratio will decrease so keep that in mind when making accurate measurements.
can you post a pic? CHIT! 10MHz ii was hoping for at least 50MHz! can you extend the graph alittle to 20-30MHz?
Turkey9
Wed Dec 21 2011, 03:24AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Sure. Here are two, one to 50Mhz and one to 100Mhz. This is where you really see the non-linearity. The solid line is the attenuation, the dotted line is the phase shift.

1324437394 1451 FT1630 Patricplot1

1324437394 1451 FT1630 Patricplot2

Patrick
Wed Dec 21 2011, 04:01AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Sure. Here are two, one to 50Mhz and one to 100Mhz. This is where you really see the non-linearity. The solid line is the attenuation, the dotted line is the phase shift.

1324437394 1451 FT1630 Patricplot1

1324437394 1451 FT1630 Patricplot2

I must have made the caps to big....? Thats not at all what i expected. though ive had bogus and wrong simulations befoer...

what was the circuit you programmed into pspice? can you post it?

Ive also simulated this one and verified it performance with MULTIsim 10...

1317142104 2431 FT1630 Danscomp
Dan McCauley's device from EVR.
Turkey9
Wed Dec 21 2011, 05:01AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Well looks like I made a mistake in the simulation. I forgot that in Spice M is the same as m so the plots I posted before were with 125 miliohm resistors! Oops!

I redid the sim with the right values and got a very different plot. There is still something interesting, however. The plot below is to 10kHz and stays completely flat all the way past 10GHz. The low frequency is interesting though.

1324443303 1451 FT1630 Therightone

Sorry for the error!
Patrick
Wed Dec 21 2011, 07:29AM
Now that i can live with!

Wooo, i was worried. That looks more familiar, but why 5 decibels lost between zero and 2kHZ? i predicted less...

EDIT:
let me remindmy self of the decibel/log systems.

ok from 74.5dB to 79.5dB means a 100,000 times difference so... how does this relate to my division ratio? hmmmm, must sleep...ZZZZzzzZZZzZzZzzzzZzZ
Patrick
Thu Dec 22 2011, 08:06AM
it looks like im getting a zero to -3 % error rate. at HF (10-100khz) ii get 9,702 / 10,000 = .97 -1 = 0.03 or 3%
Steve Conner
Thu Dec 22 2011, 11:58AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hey Patrick,

I think it's because of the 6.4nF cap in your anti-reflection device or whatever it is. As far as the capacitive division ratio is concerned, it appears in parallel with C4.

If you didn't take that into account, there's twice as much capacitance in the lower arm of the thing as you thought. The capacitive division ratio works out about 6dB lower than the resistive one, and the time constant of the error is a few hundred Hz (6.4nF and 75k) That matches the error shown in the LTSpice sim.

The simulations won't show the true behaviour at really high frequencies, because the simple model of a 125M resistor with a 4pF cap across it starts to break down: the big HV resistors actually have distributed capacitance to their surroundings. That's what all the other trimmers in the Tektronix HV probe are for.

That said, I'm sure your probe will be a valuable tool once you get the little bugs ironed out.
Patrick
Thu Dec 22 2011, 07:58PM
Dr. Watt The Fork wrote ...

Hey Patrick,

I think it's because of the 6.4nF cap in your anti-reflection device or whatever it is. As far as the capacitive division ratio is concerned, it appears in parallel with C4.

If you didn't take that into account, there's twice as much capacitance in the lower arm of the thing as you thought. The capacitive division ratio works out about 6dB lower than the resistive one, and the time constant of the error is a few hundred Hz (6.4nF and 75k) That matches the error shown in the LTSpice sim.

The simulations won't show the true behaviour at really high frequencies, because the simple model of a 125M resistor with a 4pF cap across it starts to break down: the big HV resistors actually have distributed capacitance to their surroundings. That's what all the other trimmers in the Tektronix HV probe are for.

That said, I'm sure your probe will be a valuable tool once you get the little bugs ironed out.
I wasnt expecting to use this device past 100MHz or so....
Patrick
Tue Dec 27 2011, 09:18PM
im trying to figure out what to do for a roll off circuit, and i still dont know why the dc to 2kHz isnt flat.

im really gettign frustrated.

Ive found an inductance calculator too... Link2
Patrick
Thu Dec 29 2011, 12:24AM
new data, progress made, i realize how to get the graph of both phase and magnitude substantially flat.

1325126763 2431 FT1630 Untitled
The math!

153733stuff
Bode plots, on the left is magnitude, on the right is phase.

1325118258 2431 FT124946 Sam 0819
Categorized data from the above bode plots.

1325118258 2431 FT124946 Sam 0818
Critical points from the above graphs and data, from DC to 130MHz and above to + infinity....
(note that at 311Hz the phase peaks at 2.2 degrees.)

20hz
a double blunder on my part, the 37.5k resistor is right, the 75k resistor is wrong! oops!

Given the recurrence of 311Hz, i believe the resistive and capacitive components converge at this freq,

311Hz is where teh phase shift peaks at 2.2 degrees.
311Hz is where the division ratio is closest to 10,000:1 (or -80dB).

The resistive elements below 311Hz show 375Mohms of impedance.
the capaciteve elements show significantly higher impedance (than 375Mohms) below 311Hz
therefore, i conclude that between DC -311Hz the capcitors contribute little or no current. Thus the resistors are making the real measurement.

However, nearing 311Hz the capacitors begin to contribute more current and begin to equal the resistive current. it is at this point that the cap dividers (1:5,000 div(sub C)) current begins to equal the resistive dividers (1:10,000 div(sub R)) current.

Above 311Hz the capcitive impedance falls far below 375Mohms, so whatever current is provided via the 10,000:1 resistive divider is overwelmed and pulled towards the capacitive divider's voltage due to the C's lower impedance, and higher current contribution. Therefore, i believe that significantly above the 311Hz mark, the capacitors are making the real measurement.

This makes a happy finding (perhaps). It might be possible to build a capacitive voltage divider that functions from about 500Hz to 1GHz with no or fewer supporting components in the probe circuit, and still have good response, at the expense of DC and low freq measurement.

first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: