All today's birthdays', congrats!
kg7bz (68)
steve516 (31)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

OLTC project

Move Thread LAN_403
Jrz126
Thu Jun 22 2006, 08:39PM
Jrz126 Registered Member #242 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 11:37PM
So I think I'm going to go with the cardboard tube...(although, I think I might have enough 26# wire to do a 34" coil on that 18.5" diameter pipe that I have rolleyes ). Will I have to coat the cardboard before I wind it?

My SISG parts wont arrive until Tuesday sad
Jrz126
Fri Jun 23 2006, 07:16PM
Sweet! the fed ex package tracker dealy is way off. The parts are scheduled to be delivered today.

I have a 4.5" x 18" coil already wound, I think I'll set up a little test rig for now. I dont know if Ill be able to use the SiDac circuit, since it will only fire at 240-280V. I should have ordered some lower voltage ones.

I was reading up on how to drive these some more (see this ). on page 16,
An IGBT will be off when its gate voltage is zero. However, in order to ensure that the IGBT stays in its off state when dv/dt noise is present in the collector-emitter voltage an off bias must be used. Use of reverse bias also decreases turn off losses. The relationship between reverse bias voltage and switching losses is shown in Figure 4.45. For H-Series IGBTs an off bias of -5 to -15V is recommended.
So does this mean my Gate Drive should be capable of going negative?

Also, I was reading Steve's OLTC stuff and he mentioned something about secondary flashover...what is this exactly?
Marko
Fri Jun 23 2006, 08:43PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
So does this mean my Gate Drive should be capable of going negative?

Yes, It probably isn't that important here but it's main advantages are that it speeds up turn-off, and holds the gate strongly under zero.

Noise needs to be greater than this voltage (plus few volts) to accidently turn the IGBT on.

In high frequency bridge applications this is very important because miller (gate-drain capacitance) couples part of high supply voltage to the gate.
When IGBT closes shut voltage on it's drain quickly rises to supply voltage, and miller capacitance couples this dV/dt change to gate.
If gatedrive failed to hold off that 'spike', gate will turn on, IGBT will open when it was supposed to be closed, undergo shoot-trough with another IGBT in halfbridge, shorting the supply, and both die a horrid death.

In OLTC things are different, you have only one switch and switching is slow, so holding gate isn't necessary. As I figured out Steve Conner didn't use negative drive in his final design.

Also, I was reading Steve's OLTC stuff and he mentioned something about secondary flashover...what is this exactly?

As steve explained, single turn primary and MMC, switched by IGBT, aren't actually a very good resonant circuit.
Since we are operating on low voltage we try to get the tank capacitance as big as possible, and we must cut down the primary to single turn if we want a reasonably high Fres.

Due to losses on Primary circuit it must be closely coupled to secondary, so the energy is transferred as fast as possible before it's lost.

Fast energy transfer causes secondary voltage to rise rapidly, wich leaves little time for streamers to 'grow' and secondary tends to flash over and make racing sparks. It's hard to get multi-secondary-length streamer 'growing' off the breakout point and miraculously not flashing ovver, like with DRSSTC and less-coupled SGTC's (where energy transfer is much slower, especially with DRSSTC).

Jrz126
Sat Jun 24 2006, 03:32AM
I made a quick test setup... secondary + rig
the brick

closeup of the brick

Now all I need is a gate drive cheesey
Marko
Sat Jun 24 2006, 10:41AM
Your MMC and secondary look pretty small for that brick. (Hihg Fres).

But for quick lash-up we can say it's OK.

What wire thickness did you use for this secondary?
Jrz126
Sat Jun 24 2006, 10:53AM
I've got 24 of those caps to use.

I used 1/4" fridge tube.

I'll be working on it later tonight :)
Jrz126
Sat Jun 24 2006, 10:40PM
I'm designing my Gate drive right now, I'm going to use a IR21844 IC, a half bridge mosfet driver which has a programmable 'dead time' to prevent shoot through.
I'm going to use a 555 timer to trigger it. What duty cycle/on time do I want to use to drive my IGBT?
Marko
Sat Jun 24 2006, 11:13PM
Maybe we misunderstood?

I guess you meant to drive gatedrive-mosfets with this driver, and shoot-trough is not a danger there.
This is a high voltage driver for SMPS use, seems to be generally slow but you could use it if you really wish, for mosfet driving.

Look at Steve Conner's OLTC pages, you have lots of OLTC knowledge there. smile
Link2

You can use it but there are much simpler ways to do the same thing, and much faster.
I'd stick to Steve Conner's driver for the beggining, for a big OLTC improved version (with zero cross detection and crowbar) is very advisable.

Link2

NE555 and simple mosfet driver may be good for the beggining, at low power. Just take care not to blow up that nice IGBT.

Steve Conner
Sat Jun 24 2006, 11:21PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Jrz and Aaron, 48 hours between double posts please mad If you want to add something in a hurry, edit your original post.

Using the SISG as a power supply is pretty pointless. If you don't like voltage multipliers running off the 60Hz line, just go to an electrical salvage yard, get a 120 to 480v transformer, run it backwards, and rectify the 480V AC output. If you want to do something really 1337, make a boost converter power supply like Steve Ward's 7kW unit.

Terry Fritz
Sat Jun 24 2006, 11:30PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

I looked into the voltage doubler and trippler stuff. Pretty cool!! But the caps have to be pretty darn big and all!! In general, I would think one would be better off just using a MOT. Of course, maybe some folks like the voltage doublers and tripplers so more "power" to them smile))) But a very simple MOT run at low voltage off a variac can kick some pretty big arcs too wink)

Cheers,

Terry

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: