Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Minibrute Construction Thread / FAQs

Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jul 18 2008, 02:25AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Ultra7 wrote ...

Austin wrote ...

yup thats what i used... however u might have some issues finding some good wired to put on MMC where there is no cap.

I used a paper clip.

Don't use a paper clip. These are made of steel which is not very good. It will get very hot, and fail open.

Use a piece of copper busswire, or solid core wire.
Rollingblackout
Sat Jul 19 2008, 08:06PM
Rollingblackout Registered Member #1524 Joined: Sun Jun 08 2008, 05:25PM
I'm testing the operation of my 1/2 bridge. testing up to this point has been correct. I have channel 1 on the out put of the 1/2 bridge and channel 2 on the dc neutral connection. Both channel 1 and channel 2 grounding leads are connected to one another and nothing else. Im using a 555 time on the current feed back input. and an advanced modulator on the ext mod input at 250us pw and 100khz pf.

On the scope I only see positive output no negative swing at all.

I expected to see a positive swing with an opposing wave of the same magnitude.

Does this indicate a blown igbt on the negative side?

1216498003 1524 FT36701 P1010242

1216498003 1524 FT36701 P1010245
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jul 19 2008, 08:48PM
I think you might have some things set up incorrectly.
Your 555 time on the current feedback should be set for the resonance frequency (i.e. 100kHz, 50% duty), and the modulator should be set for 100Hz, not 100kHz.

The modulator pulse (250us) should bracket a bunch of the 555 pulses. If the 555 is running at 100kHz, then you should have 25 pulses (10us period) for each burst which occurs every 10ms.

I think this is your problem, as im only seeing a single pulse here.
Rollingblackout
Sat Jul 19 2008, 08:58PM
Im not very skilled with an O scope yet maybe I was zoomed in to fare.

Here is a shot of a sample take with channel 1 on the pos igbt gate terminal and channel 2 on the neg igbt gate terminal.
1216501138 1524 FT36701 P1010243
Rollingblackout
Sun Jul 20 2008, 02:16AM
As much as I hate to smoke things due to simple lack of knowledge of the components I am using, I assembled the rest of the miniBruts and lit it off.

Time to look into the tuning section of Mr. McCauley's book.
1216520172 1524 FT36701 P1010249
HV Enthusiast
Sun Jul 20 2008, 02:26AM
Rollingblackout wrote ...

Im not very skilled with an O scope yet maybe I was zoomed in to fare.

Here is a shot of a sample take with channel 1 on the pos igbt gate terminal and channel 2 on the neg igbt gate terminal.
1216501138 1524 FT36701 P1010243

The polarity is definitely correct. The waveforms look a bit funky, but that could be just an artifact of the oscilloscope - not sure.

Anyways, it looks like you got output, so that means its working. Now the fun part and doing all the fine tuning!

Rollingblackout
Sun Jul 20 2008, 03:47AM
Im not real impressed with the output. I have experimented with the primary tap and it occurs to me that the impedance of the primary is greatly influenced by the cable being used to make the tap and the tap onto the primary it's self. Is it advisable so rewind the primary so that it contains only the optimal number of turns on it. This would be a little difficult to re bend the copper and another hole through the deck would be required.
HV Enthusiast
Sun Jul 20 2008, 05:29PM
Without actually seeing the coil in operation, i can't say for sure if the output is what you would expect given the input conditions (voltage, etc...)

Rollingblackout
Sun Jul 20 2008, 07:52PM
Currently my input voltage is limited 114 vac. I'm using copper foil strap to tap the primary at exactly 5 turns. Any wire simply diminishes performance. Advanced modulator at the largest pulse width from the stock build and the highest pulse freq. the output arcs to a RF grounded object are 19 1/2 inches. and the current on the primary is right at 400 amps.

The in put voltage is below spec of 140 vac. Maybe that is the next place to tune.
HV Enthusiast
Sun Jul 20 2008, 08:18PM
Rollingblackout wrote ...

Currently my input voltage is limited 114 vac. I'm using copper foil strap to tap the primary at exactly 5 turns. Any wire simply diminishes performance. Advanced modulator at the largest pulse width from the stock build and the highest pulse freq. the output arcs to a RF grounded object are 19 1/2 inches. and the current on the primary is right at 400 amps.

The in put voltage is below spec of 140 vac. Maybe that is the next place to tune.

Not sure why wire would diminish performance much. Thats sounds weird.

For Adv Mod, i wouldn't push longest pulsewidth. Keep it as short as pulsewidth possible. There should be a point when you increase pulsewidth where the arc doesn't get any longer. This should be your "sweet" spot. Any additional pulsewidth just makes the arc fatter and consume more power which you don't really want at this point. Also, PRF should be kept around 100Hz. I wouldn't go above that.

Tuning is definteily the next step. 19 inches is an excellent starting point. Remember, DRSSTCs are like finely tuned automobiles. They take a lot of work to get properly tuned (playing with coupling, tuning, etc...) until you find the sweet spot.

With tuning, its going to be a trade-off between maximum arc and maximum current. (See my paper on tuning or in the book on advanced tuning)

My minibrute puts out up to 48" arcs easily. But it took a long time to get the right tuning point. The tuning point in the book was my sweet spot, but unfortunately, no secondary / tororoid / etc... is exactly the same so there is always variacnes and the need to fine tune.

But you're on your way. Just take your time, tune at low power, and proceed slowly.

Remember, using an extension cord from your wall outlet to the variac will definitely improve reliability without sacrificing performance. Acts as a ballast somewhat and protects the coil from power arcs to ground (limits peak currents during these conditions)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: