Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grenadier's big thread of Röntgen related shenanigans

Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Tue Aug 09 2011, 06:17PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Problem is, the heater supply doesn't float, it's grounded. The Hv supply sends +75kV to the anode at full blast, while the other end is attached to the same ground (via a 3mA meter).

The problem I have is, I can't float ground 200V below ground!
Xray
Tue Aug 09 2011, 06:48PM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
Klugesmith wrote ...

2. Look at the connection schematic in the datasheet. If you want to use the third wire (grid/focus) as CEI intended, your battery-powered heater supply must float, with a resistor of about 20K between one side and the grid. Negative side of HV supply goes to the grid.
When there is no anode current, grid and heater are at the same potential.
At an instant when there is 10 mA of HV current, the 10 mA flows through the 20K resistor and makes the grid 200 V negative with respect to the heater. This tends to reduce (regulate) the HV current, as well as focus the spot.

You are absolutely correct. When a "grid type" of X-ray tube is used in an AC (60Hz) tube head, the grid (which is really the focusing cup) is tied to the "hot" lead of a 35KV winding, and the filament is heated with a low voltage winding on the hv transformer. The other 35KV winding is tied to the anode (in opposite phase), and so the tube effectively "sees" 70KV across it. The filament supply has to be very well insulated because that low filament voltage sits "floating" at 35KV above ground! When the tube draws current, the voltage drop across the grid resistor is what gives the tube the proper bias which not only controls the tube current, but it sets the proper voltage on the focusing cup that will create a very small focal spot on the anode target. The focusing cup acts like an electric "lens". In an ideal world, you want the focal spot to be very tiny so that it produces a "point source" of X-ray photons. But in reality, it's always a tradeoff between focal spot size (which determines image resolution) and the amount of power that the tube can handle (which determines image intensity and contrast).

In a DC (also called high frequency) tube head, the filament is at ground potential, and usually fed from a regulated DC power supply. The grid voltage is controlled with circuitry that not only sets the proper operating bias on the tube, but it is sometimes used to turn the tube on and off for precise exposure timing, and it provides much steeper rise and fall times than you can get by turning the hv power on and off, which is the usual method of timing the exposures.

Adam Munich
Tue Aug 09 2011, 07:07PM
Well I'm just trying to get a small focal spot, and the current will be set via the fixed heater voltage. This machine is designed for long exposures at low luminance, so precise control over the exposure duration is not needed.

If this tube requires the grid to be biased at a certain voltage then I'll have to pick a different tube since I have no way to bias the grid. All my tubes small enough to fit in here have some sort of grid, save for one which I have no data on. It has a focusing cup though, so I think I'll use the unmarked tube instead of the CEI one, even if it's anode spot is pitted.

Pitted anode spot > large unfocused spot.
Proud Mary
Tue Aug 09 2011, 09:03PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Grenadier wrote ...

Well I'm just trying to get a small focal spot, and the current will be set via the fixed heater voltage. This machine is designed for long exposures at low luminance, so precise control over the exposure duration is not needed.

If this tube requires the grid to be biased at a certain voltage then I'll have to pick a different tube since I have no way to bias the grid. All my tubes small enough to fit in here have some sort of grid, save for one which I have no data on. It has a focusing cup though, so I think I'll use the unmarked tube instead of the CEI one, even if it's anode spot is pitted.

Pitted anode spot > large unfocused spot.

If you're planning to stick with the hobby for some time, it's worthwhile building an independent grid bias supply, which need not be complex or costly, because very little power is required.

As an alternative, you could wire 22 9V PP3s in series to get your 200V. So little current is drawn that the batteries will last for years. You also have the option of easy sign reversal if you get into grounded anode mode, where many of the Be window tubes are at.

Adam Munich
Tue Aug 09 2011, 10:44PM
True. Well this machine will be a "self contained unit", so not much will be adjustable. In the future I plan on making an "x-ray tube test rig".
Adam Munich
Thu Sept 22 2011, 01:29AM
SOOO... I got it running agian. Worked fine at 100W, and for a while at 200W.

But then, it stopped radiating. Nothing exploded this time; just stopped making rays. Powered it up a few times after that and read 15kV on the kVmeter, 1.5mA on the other one. I decreased the heater voltage and mA decreased, so I assume that the tube is still working as it should. However, voltage didn't increase anything special so I thought the CW took a shit.

After tearing apart the head and getting oily again, I come to find out that both the CW ant tube were OK. Turns out the FBT died on me, internal arcing on the LV windings.

Upon testing the ZVS with another FBT to make sure that was not the issue, I managed to make it the issue by accidentally shorting a primary coil and burning out the volt regulator. Plan on fixing that soon.

Back to the failed FBT. I checked the secondary and it was intact, 470 ohms. That means it WAS the LV windings that failed, and lacking anything else to do I ripped 'em out.

1316654896 2893 FT90619 100 0332

I'm also replacing the core, since the other one was a bit too puny for 200W. This one might work...

1316654914 2893 FT90619 100 0333
Adam Munich
Thu Jan 05 2012, 05:04AM
It is done.

Link2
Xray
Thu Jan 05 2012, 05:42AM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
Way ta go, Grenadier! GOOD JOB on a rather complex project. You got my vote on BuildLounge. Now if every other 4hv member would vote for you, then you'd have a good chance of winning that laser cutter! Good Luck! smile

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: