Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Novel flying machines

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Fri Jul 18 2014, 05:14PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Looks like you do want a naca profile (or something similar) after all, apparently symmetrical blades were only used due to the difficulty of making assymetrical blades strong enough

"The types of aerofoils used with a rotorblade differ (figure below). For a long time, most of them were symmetrical. However, a higher L/D ratio is possible with non-symmetrical versions. Due to the greater internal forces occurring in these types of blades, they only came into existence when the appropriate composite materials were developed. These can cope with the high internal strain, while their weight is kept low.

"

Link2

I'm still reading this, but it looks like it's got a lot of good theory in it.

EDIT: There is a rather humorous typo in it, namely when it refers to the 'sound of speed' cheesey

EDIT: The comment at the bottom looks interesting too:

"As an alternative approach, engineers may wish to consider trying the VABS software for modeling very complex composite rotor blades. Developed at Georgia Tech and Utah State University, VABS is capable of quickly and rigorously decoupling an original 3D slender solid with complex microstructure (sophisticated cross-section with or without spanwise heterogeneity) into a simple engineering beam model. VABS (Variational Asymptotical Beam Sectional Analysis), is a unique tool capable of realistic modeling of initially curved and twisted anisotropic beams with arbitrary sectional topology and materials. Evaluation licenses of VABS are available through AnalySwift."

Maybe you can obtain an evaluation license through your college, Patrick?

EDIT: This is just one page of a series that starts here: Link2 and seems to cover pretty much the whole 'helicopter design' thing, albeit fairly concisely.

EDIT: I forgot to answer this question above:

Patrick wrote ...

Ash, do you have access to and knowledge of the CAD, and its ways?

I do have a twenty year old version of TurboCad Pro V3, which I bought when I was running my own company, and I also picked up a copy of TurboCad V16 Deluxe, which is not a pro version, but does have some features that V3 doesn't have, although it doesn't have all the 'Pro' features.

I can do most things with them, and they are compatible with AutoCad .dwg and .dxf files. I believe the V16 deluxe version also produces Adobe .pdf files, etc.
Patrick
Fri Jul 18 2014, 09:12PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
ill go you one better, i have it in with Georgia tech, ive even been at the IARC Mission 6 compettion with them for 3 years in a row (Grand Forks, North Dakota) let me contact my Professor Robert Michelson at Georgia Tech. He might vouch for me since we've met and talk often.

EDIT: im trying through their website too.

Patrick
Mon Jul 21 2014, 07:58PM
i got all the props, about 10 mnutes ago. Ill run the loading tests in a few hours.
Patrick
Sun Jul 27 2014, 08:19AM
Ok had some delays due to family health issues, but got it done. It appears the 12x4.5 is best? the 14x5.5 i think has to be due to the steeper pitch and seperation flow ?

1406449142 2431 FT162858 Propy1

1406449142 2431 FT162858 Propy2

1406449142 2431 FT162858 Propy3

1406449142 2431 FT162858 Propy4
Ash Small
Mon Jul 28 2014, 10:25AM
Patrick wrote ...

Ok had some delays due to family health issues, but got it done. It appears the 12x4.5 is best? the 14x5.5 i think has to be due to the steeper pitch and seperation flow ?

That makes sense.

Any news on the VABS software yet?

Any more thoughts regarding producing some low pitch, low drag, low disc loading blades?

(I think we all agree that this is the way forward)
Patrick
Mon Jul 28 2014, 08:01PM
yep, it looks like heli blades are the solution, endless tinkering with heavy disc loaded props wont lead any where useful.
BigBad
Mon Jul 28 2014, 11:48PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Makes sense.

That's why heli blades are built like that; for maximum hang-time.
Patrick
Tue Jul 29 2014, 01:23AM
BigBad wrote ...

Makes sense.

That's why heli blades are built like that; for maximum hang-time.
but im not sure they should be symetric, they may need to be more chord width at the root too.

ive put in a request for a academic demo, i didnt see where to download a trial copy though.
Ash Small
Tue Jul 29 2014, 04:57PM
I agree that assymetric blade design should be well within your capability, Patrick.

Lift/drag ratio, as I believe Udo pointed out earlier in the thread, will be the dominant factor once disc loading has been finalized.

Increasing chord at the root, in my opinion, should only be done if extra strength at the root is required, as there is less lift here anyway. (Tapering the blade towards the tip 'should' improve lift/drag ratio if done correctly, I think).

It all depends how complicated you wish to make it. A 'D' shaped blade of constant section would be easiest to produce, and may be useful for some initial disc loading modelling (make some long blades, then cut them shorter in order to plot a graph, maybe?)

Maybe others have some suggestions here as well? wink
Patrick
Wed Jul 30 2014, 12:54AM
ok lets try a conventional constant chord and large diameter, with a D crossection.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: