Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Big Bad" the CW coil

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
vasil
Wed Sept 08 2010, 07:27PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Why don't use copper or aluminium sheets/flashing for the primary coil? I remember that Jimmy Hynes used this idea for his DRSSTC. It is compact and allow more turns and a good coupling.

LINK
Marko
Wed Sept 08 2010, 07:50PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
vasil wrote ...

Why don't use copper or aluminium sheets/flashing for the primary coil? I remember that Jimmy Hynes used this idea for his DRSSTC. It is compact and allow more turns and a good coupling.

LINK

Hi vasil,

the idea is not bad, though in order to achieve required number of turns, I'd need to use thin copper foil tape would as densely as possible - and I'm afraid this may not dissipate heat too well. If I could sorce some copper foil tape someday, I could try a coil of it under my copper tube primary, with everything in series.

Marko
teravolt
Thu Sept 09 2010, 04:39AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM

teravolt wrote ...

That is a tough project with the heating and power dissipation but very cool. The spark looks like a class-E type spark

Mine or steve's project? :P

Cheers,

Marko

[/quote1284004071]

I think that your coil is more difficult because of the amount of power you have to manage. Certainly Steve's is more complex.

It seems to me that your primary is choked up quite a bit on the secondary have you tried pushing it to the bottom yet. In your picture of the primary the enamel seems to pealing off the secondary and it seems to me that having your primary so high is cosing the lower part of the secondary to heat. how do you feel about a tapered primary to the bottom?

I have also noticed that you have no MMC wich I believe is by design. If you had a MMC you may get the higher impedance that you want with the added benifit of a high voltage rise accross your primary. What kind of caps would you choose for the power you are dealing with since you are melting 10awg wire.

What is your secondary F res.
1284007161 195 FT95545 1283526501 89 Ft95545 P1291116 Large
Marko
Thu Sept 09 2010, 03:39PM
Hi teravolt,

It seems to me that your primary is choked up quite a bit on the secondary have you tried pushing it to the bottom yet. In your picture of the primary the enamel seems to pealing off the secondary and it seems to me that having your primary so high is cosing the lower part of the secondary to heat. how do you feel about a tapered primary to the bottom?

Yes, the primary is choked up as high as possible since high coupling is of benefit for this type of coil. The main reason why I want to lower is is to hog a bit less power at lower voltages. I'd be much better if I had just a few more turns.

You are wrong about the secondary heating, though - it really is just ugly varnish, and I haven't seen the secondary get more than lukewarm. I used the same resin from which the form was cast (boat polyester resin) diluted with styrene to coat the coil, although the resulting mixture was still too thick and didn't spread too well.
I'm afraid that lowering the primary will actually cause the bottom of the secondary to heat up more.

Though I don't understand what you mean with "tapered primary to the bottom"?

I have also noticed that you have no MMC wich I believe is by design. If you had a MMC you may get the higher impedance that you want with the added benifit of a high voltage rise accross your primary. What kind of caps would you choose for the power you are dealing with since you are melting 10awg wire.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I have a DC blocking cap which is a sort of ''MMC'' of four parallel caps, but a series resonant MMC is a no-go in this case. With my current primary it would just turn the coil into DRSSTC. I obviously want to run CW, not with primary current going for hundreds of amps.

The coil was measured to resonate at 145kHz with small spark load.

Marko
teravolt
Fri Sept 10 2010, 03:48AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM

Yes, the primary is choked up as high as possible since high coupling is of benefit for this type of coil. The main reason why I want to lower is is to hog a bit less power at lower voltages. I'd be much better if I had just a few more turns.

Though I don't understand what you mean with "tapered primary to the bottom"?

what I ment is a primary where the windings are set up in a tapered angle like my picture that starts at the bottom of the secondary

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I have a DC blocking cap which is a sort of ''MMC'' of four parallel caps, but a series resonant MMC is a no-go in this case. With my current primary it would just turn the coil into DRSSTC. I obviously want to run CW, not with primary current going for hundreds of amps.

I asume that you are basicly using the XLprimary and XCmmc say 10 ohm to controle the current. how about a parallel
resonant cap that way the primary circulating current will be high between L and C that way your bridge won't have to work so hard because a parallel tank has high Z at resonance. If you had that set up you could use a parallel L-R network in series with your primary and your bridge like a VTTC to very power. Does that make sense? By the way how much peak current is flowwing in the primary turns?

Marko
Sat Sept 11 2010, 01:12PM

how about a parallel resonant cap that way the primary circulating current will be high between L and C that way your bridge won't have to work so hard because a parallel tank has high Z at resonance. If you had that set up you could use a parallel L-R network in series with your primary and your bridge like a VTTC to very power. Does that make sense? By the way how much peak current is flowwing in the primary turns?

A parallel LC circuit has high impedance at it's center frequency, but the inverter puts out square wave with high frequency components for which it would basically be a short. Driving a large capacitor by the inverter is never good at all.

If I added a series inductor to the bridge output, I would get LCLR. Richie B. told me once that such a topology would work for a sstc, but I had little luck with it in low power tests. It seems to take a while for the primary tank to ring up - hence I may benefit from my improved startup circuit.

I also don't have any knowledge on how would this circuit behave at these power levels, and whether I would get any soft switching benefits at all. I suspect the inductor may give me ZVS but I would hae large current to turn off.

Marko
Steve Ward
Tue Sept 14 2010, 06:28PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Just as a comment:

I have run my QCW coil in true CW mode, but it was with either a 3nF or 10nF tank cap and i had to use a big 18" diameter primary with ~8-10 turns (i think). It resonated at 350khz or so, so its a fairly high tank impedance. The spark ultimately limits the primary current. The benefit is that you can achieve real ZCS this way, whereas an untuned primary never will (even with PLL tricks). This is quite a "big deal" in my opinion, given that switching losses are probably dominant (well certainly at 360khz they are). Since Marko doesnt happen to have a bank of Mica caps to handle such duty, its probably not an option.
Marko
Tue Sept 14 2010, 07:56PM
Hi Steve,

I actually have a handful of 3.3nF 10kV, 20kVar doorknob caps laying around. I wonder if a bank of them (say 20nF, since my frequency is about half of yours) would be suitable for the purpose?

Regarding the primary, I'm surprised that you got away with ''only'' 10 turns. My primary is about 12inches, and I could fit about 12 turns reasonably on the outside, and then perhaps another 5-6 on the inside of the PP studs (perhaps a re-use of my current primary coil?). I would need less than 60 microhenries with a 20 nF cap so I may even have some margin in there.

The cost of copper is a bit high, but I might invest in another 12 meters of pipe if it proves worthy to use such a topology. I may want to test it small scale first.

I'm too busy with my college now and not with too much time to dream about this until christmas. I heavily appreciate your experimental efforts, since I thought a much higher impedance would be required any I would most likely have to come to it by trial and error.

I want to do some experiments and measurements nevertheless, both on this coil and smaller scale. I'm too concerned with the cold deaths of mosfets in some of my smaller scale experiments, and that has to stop. I have many things to try, and what I want is to build a bullet-proof small scale system before progressing further.

Marko

Steve Ward
Thu Sept 23 2010, 06:31PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Those caps sound OK, being rated at 20kVARs each they should be good for a few amps RMS each id guess, so with plenty of them in parallel, and not demanding extremely long run times, they ought to work.

Id also highly recommend some sort of phase compensating circuit, either PLL or this "prediktor" type thing to get better ZCS. The penalty for hard switching is pretty bad at these high frequencies, supposing you really want to maximize the capacity of your switches. Ive seen hard switched designs that run 300kHz at work, and they de-rate the IGBTs to maybe 20% of the DC rating to keep it running.
Marko
Thu Sept 23 2010, 09:32PM
Hi steve -

I'm curious, do you have any pics of your coil running true CW? And what power level would you estimate it to?

Marko
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: