Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Diffusion pump project

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Fabio
Fri Nov 06 2009, 11:29PM
Fabio Registered Member #122 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:55PM
Hi Guys!

This theread is simply inspiring for me, for this reason, i searched something similar on ebay with no luck...... after 2 tries i finally bought this:

Link2

it came from italy so shipping is faster and cheaper for me, the final price was 130€ including shipping, handling and insurance, now i need 60ml of diffusion fluid and some spare time to make my vacuum setup! amazed
Proud Mary
Sat Nov 07 2009, 01:19AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I feel a little sad to say nothing more than Grosse Gluck, but I have a few hundred gammes of Ca - an old fashioned getter I know - but I'll be more than happy to help out with any genuine vacuum ethusiasts in need of old fashioned getters.

plazmatron
Sat Nov 07 2009, 01:28AM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Ah! You're the guy that managed to build a gas x-ray tube using a air conditioning pump, and some getters right?

Nice pump! Told you these things were cheap!

The spec for the diffstak 63, says it requires Santovac 5 as the pump fluid. In the event you cant get hold of it in the small quantities required, you could always use DC-704 or DC-705. A neon sign shop is your best bet for getting fluid, since the main manufacturers have minimum orders of 500ml (which is around 650 Euro!)

I bought my fluid from http://www.sign-tec.co.uk/ they were quite helpful, and sell in multiples of 50ml. If you ask nicely, they will probably ship internationally.

The Lenard tube is on hold until my titanium foil arrives, at which point it will get its own thread, since I have been busy building a much better tube smile

Once you have this thing up and running, you will love it!

Les
Fabio
Sat Nov 07 2009, 11:29PM

Ah! You're the guy that managed to build a gas x-ray tube using a air conditioning pump, and some getters right?

Yes i am!
I also build the Xray camera and the demo fusor and many other strange equipments
Link2
Link2

The spec for the diffstak 63, says it requires Santovac 5 as the pump fluid. In the event you cant get

I have a friend who works for a company that installs and makes maintenance for the vacuum systems, finding the right fluid isn't a problem, i also haven't any problem in finding some getters, nickel, kovar, berillium windows and glass; finally, if i need a titanium foil, i can simply search it on ebay!
rp181
Sat Nov 07 2009, 11:48PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Did the fusor actually achieve fusion? All of the ones I have seen used the lab type vacuum chambers, to support the high vacuum.
Fabio
Wed Nov 11 2009, 09:37AM
Where is my previous post????

anyway, i have a backup!

i never tried a real fusion yet because so far i don't have a decent vacuum pump.

anyhow, a glass chamber can easily support the required vacuum if all seals are OK, the main problem is relative to ion bombardment, the glass will be easily overheated in some spots while remains cold in the other, this phenomenon will lead in cracks, and finally an implosion if the fusion will be continued for too much time!

Now i have this chamber, but after i will reach my first fusion, i will probably switch to a better chamber.

Ciao!
Fabio.

Fabio
Wed Nov 11 2009, 11:48PM
Just arrived!!! amazed

Th

Ciao!
Fabio
Nicko
Thu Nov 12 2009, 08:53AM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
plazmatron wrote ...

...I bought my fluid from http://www.sign-tec.co.uk/ they were quite helpful, and sell in multiples of 50ml. If you ask nicely, they will probably ship internationally.
Sign-Tec are just down the road from me (next village where my in-laws have a farm). I paid them a visit a couple of months ago - very helpful people. They do accept personal callers (I always phoned in advance), but are mostly mail-order - bought an NST and some HV cable. As the neon business is in general decline world-wide, they are also doing a lot of LED & other stuff - their new web site is vastly better than their old one, but its always worth phoning as not everything is online.

Usefully, they are also adjacent to the local recycling centre - very convenient for nice MOT/MOCs etc.
Fabio
Sun Jan 17 2010, 09:12PM
Hi All!

Weeeeeeee, i finally have a real vacuum vessel!!!!!!!!!

Th

Th

Unfortunately, i found a big leak (and eventually there are some other smaller leaks) so the system
cannot be pumped down yet, but i have a limited mechanical skills and this is only my first attempt with the diffusion pump.

WORK IN PROGRESS!!!! cheesey

Fabio
Sun Feb 07 2010, 11:58PM
New update: Now i have a welded frame, is not exactly a small vacuum system but..... who cares???

Th

Ciao!
Fabio.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: