Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

using both induction and reluctance for coilgun

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Sun Apr 23 2006, 01:39AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Hmm, if your barrel is conductive that could very well cause the problem. Seems like it would have the effect of shielding the projectile inside from the forces, and if the pusle was strong enough might crunch the barrel like a can crusher. I may be getting beyond my knowledge in this matter but I would think as the pulse started to grow, the flux lines would first intersect the barrel and induce current to flow around the barrel. As more flux lines pass more current is induced in the barrel and therefore a strong magnetic field begins to form that repels the flux from the coil. I am not sure how completely this would repel but my guess is very little if any magnetic flux would make it through the opposing field around the barrel and induce a significant amount into the projectile. Anyone else agree or have a different/better explanation?
FastMHz
Sun Apr 23 2006, 05:21PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Thanks for the info Tristan - I do have slits cut into the side of the copper barrel to eliminate eddies to some degree, and regular steel slugs shoot out of it with lethal power...but no matter what I tried with the aluminum it just wouldn't move. I got it to budge about a mm once, but I think the coil itself jumped when I pulsed it...I haven't tried my pvc barrel yet 'cause I've been a bit busy with building my electric bazooka cheesey

Maz - I still think you should try it anyway and see what happens...it might be hard to tell if the AL part is working at all though since the steel part will work regardless...
Maz
Sun Apr 23 2006, 11:19PM
Maz Registered Member #111 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:04AM
RELUCTANCE
This is basically what i was thinking. quick paint job to get a visual. i wish i could say that i have tried it but i do not have the setup for reluctance to i look forward to seeing others results!
Reaching
Fri Nov 24 2006, 10:05PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
grabbing this thread out, cause im on the search for new ideas for my big multistage coilgun.

so why not combine reluctance and induction but with 2 coils? a reluctance cg needs a longer pulse and a induction cg needs a short pulse. so i thought about it. i made a hybrid projectile with 2 sections. the head is a 3cm long 8mm steelrod the tail is a 2cm long 8mm aluminium rod held together with a iron screw inside.
why not use a simple reluctance cg coil to accelerate the projectile, then it passes a fotogate which switches the second coil on for pushing the projectile forward via induction. if it works fine it is very good for multistage coilguns cause you can use both principles. while the steel is saturating after beeing magnetized from a coil the inductive part can accelerate the whole thing. the steel part has more time to demagnetize(dont know the right word).
i hope there are no open questions, the picture is self explaining
Link2
Marko
Fri Nov 24 2006, 10:22PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
As it was discussed, when you try to launch this bullet using reluctance effect will be cancelled by attraction to iron. Maybe if you used very long projectile, with non-conducting part, or etc, but I still don't see any advantage versus using one of techniques solo.
Reaching
Sat Nov 25 2006, 02:18PM
ok, you dont understand what i was trying to explain.i want to use to seperate coils on 2 seperate coilforms to accelerate the iron part via reluctance and the aluminium part via induction. the first coil switches on and the iron is sucked into the coil, when the iron reaches the middle of the coil the first coil is turned off. the projectile leaves the first coil and passes the second coil and activates a fotogate that is placed on a calculated direction so that only the aluminium part of the projectile is in the second middle of the second coil so the aluminium part is repelled by the magnetic field of the second coil which is turned on with the fotogate. so you combined both principles. the advantage i see is that the iron part of the projectile has more time to demagnetize but still increase its velocity by the inductive part
mike0t4ever
Sat Nov 25 2006, 08:55PM
mike0t4ever Registered Member #321 Joined: Wed Mar 15 2006, 03:33AM
if you have a one coil for inductive acceleration and one coil for reluctance acceleration

then really all you fave are 2 coilguns in one your efficiency will never be the sum of efficiencies but rather the average efficiancy of each gun on its own
Reaching
Sat Nov 25 2006, 11:20PM
yeah, and whats the problem? with a simple multistage cg you also have the average efficiency of both stages not the sum of both. i have to try it. the problem with a multistage cg based on reluctance is the saturation of the projectile. with a second coil based on inductance you have a chance to depolarize the projectile cause both parts of the projectile are connected electrically. so the projectile is no longer saturated , just a thought, but somewhere you have to start and why does everyone mean trying new techniques is wrong?? why not combine two techniques and use the advantages of both. for a reluctance based multistage cg the time is very important and the saturation rate of the projectile. so why do you mean it is wrong to accelerate the projectile via inductance to get a little more time for the iron part of the projectile to desaturate?? that would mean that you can add more kinetic energy in the following stages, increasing efficiency, not too much but better than nothing,
mike0t4ever
Tue Nov 28 2006, 01:36AM
mike0t4ever Registered Member #321 Joined: Wed Mar 15 2006, 03:33AM
i'm not saying it's wrong to try

what i am saying is that the additional complexity of not only the gun but also the projectile makes this a very difficult tuning problem

also an electric connection between the ferrous and Al/Cu part of the projectile will do nothing to reduce magnetic saturation problems.
it may actually increase the eddy losses on the ferrous part by giving the eddy currents a more conductive path.

i think by saturation you meant hysterisis
the only way you can reduce it is if the ferrous and conductive parts of your slug have a fair amount of coupling between them (which will reduce the efficiency of the reluctance based acceleration due to eddy currents)
WaveRider
Tue Nov 28 2006, 04:27PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
In my mind, there would be little benefit to using reluctance and induction effects in the same coilgun. The problems that you need to overcome are different for each.

Reluctance coilguns operate over relatively long timescales compared to induction guns. Example: Current on- times for most reluctance-based hobby coilguns: 0.5-3ms. Coil currents: 100A - 1000A. Capacitor voltages: 100-450V.

All of this is doable with readily available, relatively inexpensive SCRs, IGBTs, capacitors.

Contrast this with an induction gun: Current on-times < 10-100us. Coil currents: 5000-50000A, Capacitor voltages: 5000-25000V.

At this point, we see that given the need to switch kA currents and multiple kVs puts high levels of stress on the switching elements. It is more complicated. Switching time scales must generally be an order of magnitude shorter than for reluctance guns to reduce field penetration into the projectile (to get good force acting on the projectile).

Induction guns can generate tremendous forces (far more than reluctance guns). So if you go to the trouble of building a proper induction gun, in my opinion, it's not worth the trouble to tack on a reluctance gun...

My 2c...
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: