All today's birthdays', congrats!
Dalus (34)
Kizmo (37)

Next birthdays
05/22 Skynet (32)
05/22 syntroniks (15)
05/22 Powerfulman (27)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Whats the most useful item you've salvaged?

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
coillah
Mon Mar 23 2009, 07:51AM
coillah Registered Member #1517 Joined: Wed Jun 04 2008, 06:55AM
60 dollars worth of double sided copper clad pcb project boards from a radioshack manager
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Mar 23 2009, 09:03AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Gen. Radio 1233-A Power amplifier with all tubes intact. I've been tweaking on it trying to get it to output more RF power because it has 2x 807's, but it blew something out recently and I have to rebuild again. The phase splitter refuses to balance and I had to scrap the enitre HV section, so I'm planning on gutting the whole thing and maybe prototyping the amp until it does what I want it to do. I want to save the chassis if possible, but there are a lot of things I want to add to it like VSWR output metering, and cathode current metering on both tubes.
021f

023f
Fabio
Mon Mar 23 2009, 11:27AM
Fabio Registered Member #122 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:55PM
Hi All!

2,5 kW RMS audio tube power amplifier designed for working at full power for months without problems. (was used to drive a shacker coil for a long term industrial vibration testing machine) plus the shacker (an enormous subwoofer without the cone), the waweform generator and some accessories (much more than 1 TON total weight!).... everything for free!!!! amazed

Th

Th

Th

Th

Th

Link2

Th

Th

Th

Ciao!
Fabio.
Steve Conner
Mon Mar 23 2009, 11:30AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Nice amp Hazmatt :)

FWIW, that model apparently has a frequency range of 20Hz to 3MHz. From the looks of it, it's built like a push-pull audio amp, so you won't get much RF power out of it.

*edit* Fabio simulposted, so I just saw his 2.5kW tube amp. Awesome! Can I come over and play bass through it? :D I think the enormous Partridge lump in the first picture is the output transformer, not the power supply. It's probably separate because the rack would crumble under the weight!

Oh, also I see it has six KT88s in it too, but they're just driver tubes.

steve
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Mar 24 2009, 07:15AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Yea its designed as a push-pull amp, but I should be able to get at least 25W RF out at 50R. It has 2 cores in it to select from 20Hz to 20KHz eg. a big metal toroid, and a smaller ferrite toroid for 20KHz to the 3MHz. I am hoping that a redesign of the phase splittler will get it back on its feet. I'll probably have to redesign the B+ supply board too because the radiated heat is too much for the bias adjust pots I put on the new PCB.

Love the shaker amp. You can see the HT transformer in the big grey box. What are the 2 main output tubes?

I'd put that baby in a small row of theater seats, set up my projector and watch Die Hard or Terminator... heheheheh!
Will
Wed Mar 25 2009, 02:25PM
Will Registered Member #57 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:28AM
At this time, not the most useful, but most definitely the most worth. I got paid to take it home.

1237990948 57 FT66101 Img 0838
Zum Beispiel
Wed Mar 25 2009, 02:59PM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
Will wrote ...

At this time, not the most useful, but most definitely the most worth. I got paid to take it home.
suprised

I dunno, I always salvage everything I can, but it's usually nothing valuable. I guess the most usefull thing I've dug out of the trash is my audio amp (Which is a total piece of crap, but good enough for me). Atleast it gets the most use, daily in fact, much to the irritation of my neighbors... I got all my speakers from people who would have otherwise thrown them away, so I guess they count too.

Also, I got my first proper soldering iron from the trash. It was a Weller with a dark red/brownish handle (I'm sure everyone has seen one of those). The power cord had melted, apparently from the iron resting on it while it was plugged in. I replaced the cord and it worked like a dream.
Proud Mary
Wed Mar 25 2009, 07:33PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
That's like asking for a favourite piece of music: answers vary with time, and mood, and experience.

But TODAY, my fave rave is a 10v-0-10V 100A transformer in lovely condition.

All my anxieties about not being able to supply adequate heater current to my Rubenesque valves and thyratrons were gone in a flash. Gone forever is that heart-sinking feeling of personal inadequacy that would come over me when poring over some valve data sheet, and seeing that 10V at 50A of heater current would be required if ever the valve were to be brought back to life. The days of having to avoid other experimenters for fear of having to admit that I would be hard-pushed to do more than supply 6.3V/4A to my heaters are over. Years of secret misery were washed away in a flash courtesy of the Apex Transformer Co of New Delhi! I could look women in the eye once more, I could search out valves with such huge heater currents that only the genius and the madman would ever think of using them, and felt so good with my salvaged transformer that I even polished the brass carbide lamp on my bicycle. smile
aonomus
Wed Mar 25 2009, 07:43PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
Harry wrote ...

That's like asking for a favourite piece of music: answers vary with time, and mood, and experience.

But TODAY, my fave rave is a 10v-0-10V 100A transformer in lovely condition.

All my anxieties about not being able to supply adequate heater current to my Rubenesque valves and thyratrons were gone in a flash. Gone forever is that heart-sinking feeling of personal inadequacy that would come over me when poring over some valve data sheet, and seeing that 10V at 50A of heater current would be required if ever the valve were to be brought back to life. The days of having to avoid other experimenters for fear of having to admit that I would be hard-pushed to do more than supply 6.3V/4A to my heaters are over. Years of secret misery were washed away in a flash courtesy of the Apex Transformer Co of New Delhi! I could look women in the eye once more, I could search out valves with such huge heater currents that only the genius and the madman would ever think of using them, and felt so good with my salvaged transformer that I even polished the brass carbide lamp on my bicycle. smile

What about a re-wound MOT for 10V 50A?

Also, I rummaged through the junk pile and found another UPS board with lots of decent caps, inductors, and a few (probably working) FETs. Nothing as amazing as some of the stuff you guys have salvaged though.
uzzors2k
Wed Mar 25 2009, 10:15PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Harry wrote ...

That was good for chuckle, nice to hear Harry! cheesey
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: