All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

2.5kJ Capacitor Bank (Complete, finally!)

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
KLH
Mon Mar 09 2009, 05:45AM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
Very nice work. I never thought of using copper pipes as bus bars smile; looks like I'll be using that for my coilgun.

The arrangement of your bus bars is good; in fact, that is the recommended arrangement for equal current distribution among all of the capacitors, as specified in a capacitor application note.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see how well this will perform.
rp181
Mon Mar 09 2009, 12:19PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
You make the diodes look so much better from when i mounted them... On those diodes, tighten them as much as you can, the toothed washers are more effective than.

Nice job
Steve Conner
Mon Mar 09 2009, 12:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Am I the only one who can't see what earthly good diodes in series with the load will do?
By the physics of RLC circuits, the current doesn't reverse until after the capacitor voltage has reversed and got as far negative as it's going to. So your capacitors and anti-parallel diodes are already blown by this point.
Dennis Rogers
Mon Mar 09 2009, 01:48PM
Dennis Rogers Registered Member #1837 Joined: Tue Dec 02 2008, 02:20PM
Just another point of concern is using pipe for bus bars. Copper pipe is made from recycled copper. The recycling process leaves way to much impurity to make new electrical conductors. This may show up when you have large amps moving. I'm not saying it's not worth a shot, just be careful.
aonomus
Mon Mar 09 2009, 05:22PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
Well there are SCR's on both the +ve and -ve side of the capacitors, and the diodes increase the total standoff voltage. Once the capacitors discharge through a inductive load, the inductor causes the voltage reversal. If there are that many diodes to block voltage reversal (2 scrs in series and 1 'big' diode), should there be little reverse biasing of the capacitors?

The simulation said it would work at least....
KLH
Mon Mar 09 2009, 06:43PM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
aonomus wrote ...

Well there are SCR's on both the +ve and -ve side of the capacitors, and the diodes increase the total standoff voltage. Once the capacitors discharge through a inductive load, the inductor causes the voltage reversal. If there are that many diodes to block voltage reversal (2 scrs in series and 1 'big' diode), should there be little reverse biasing of the capacitors?

The simulation said it would work at least....

Steve McConner made an important point. Inductors, when charged with energy, are current sources. They will increase the voltage across themselves until there is an available current path (theoretically to infinity). This means the inductive load will automatically increase its voltage until it is enough to blow thorugh all of your SCRs and diodes. Then it will go to your capacitors and... the rest is self-explanatory (a.k.a. expensive). Instead, you should put the diodes in anti-parallel with the inductive load and place a resistor in series with the diode so that the voltage spike resulting from inductor peak current does not exceed the total reverse breakdown of your SCRs (V = I * R).
aonomus
Wed Jul 01 2009, 09:04PM
So I finally got some traction on this project again... yesterday I had the capacitor bank charger/control system panel laser-cut from a really heavy duty ABS case (1/4" thick, IP66 rated, it was not fun to cut). The capacitor bank charger was based off of Uzzors ZVS driver with a few tweaks mainly for voltage control and voltage reference. the only remaining building for the charger would be wiring up the relays to control the charger.

On the capacitor bank side, I have reconfigured the SCRs in parallel, but I still have to mount the diodes and then solder all the bus bars together.

IMG 2901
Note: the slight amount of burning was due to the laser being set too high, but a little soap/water will clean that char right off.

IMG 2902

IMG 2898
aonomus
Sun Jul 05 2009, 01:00AM
First charging test video: Link2

To do:
Mount back-emf diode
Mount discharge SCR and load (light bulbs)
Tidy up connectors for charging/control
Test with inductive loads
aonomus
Thu Jul 09 2009, 09:26PM
So over the last 2 days I've worked to get this project finished finally. All the bus bars are soldered, connections tightened, discharge load mounted and connected to SCR.

IMG 2922

I had some fun doing low power tests, right up until I exploded some wire at 25% power.

Videos:
Testing at low power for can crushing and ring launching: Link2
Slow motion of the last test that left my ears ringing: Link2
aonomus
Mon Jul 13 2009, 12:44AM
Full writeup is here: Link2
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: