Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Uzzors' Coolidge X-ray Machine

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Fri Mar 13 2009, 10:41PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Eirik, I would expect some tens of uA at least of anode current by this stage - even if it is only cold cathode field emission - but think you must increase the heater voltage to 5V to be sure. Remember that in this tyoe of tube, X-ray intensity is usually controlled by varying the heater voltage/temperature, while the anode voltage (much harder to regulate) remains constant.

If that tube is dead, I will send you a PD500 shunt stabiliser triode which will most certainly produce a strong output at 50kV, though not as well focused as the Coolidge would have been.

So don't despair! If the Coolidge tube is kaputt, you'll soon have something else to make all your hard work worthwhile! smile
uzzors2k
Sat Mar 14 2009, 05:30PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
IT WORKS! amazed

I had to increase the filament voltage to about 3V, (that regulator you gave me came in handy, Harry wink) once in that range the tube rapidly starts conducting, and small changes in filament voltage cause large swings in anode current. Currently I've taken 4 x-rays. The anode current is about 3mA and the voltage a meager 40~45kV.

I was about to give up after the first x-ray, as nothing was showing up while the paper was under the developer. Little did I know it took much longer than when simply exposing the paper to bright light! Development times with rapid fixer are some 2 - 10 minutes, though the contrast is good after 5 min. I expose the cassette and objects at 15cm range, for 30 to 50 seconds. Greater distances would improve sharpness, but greatly increase exposure time. Here are the last two x-rays.

1237051472 95 FT62720 Lego Objects Picture4 1237051472 95 FT62720 Lego Objects Xray4

1237051472 95 FT62720 Cel Ipod Picture3 1237051472 95 FT62720 Cel Ipod Xray3

As evident in the ipod and cell phone exposure the anode voltage isn't high enough for penetrating radiation. Just look at the spikes on the Tesla-Lego figure's helmet, which consist of nothing but 1/2W resistor lead wire. I'm going to upgrade my CW tower now, and hope the voltage doesn't sag.
Proud Mary
Sat Mar 14 2009, 06:30PM
That's marvellous, Eirik! Well done! I knew you could do it!

Increasing KVA will certainly increase sharpness, as the low energy X-rays always produce more "woolly" images. But as you say, the more Cockcroft stages the greater the 'sag', and you may start to lose current too. You'll just have to try it and see.

Perhaps now is the time to start thinking about a reliable ionization chamber, so you will have a better idea of what is going on with the rays as they travel in and around your room! smile

Now you have some data, you can enter it in RadPro and see how many Sv/hr you have. You may be surprised! smile
Download
Sun Mar 15 2009, 09:05AM
Download Registered Member #561 Joined: Sat Mar 03 2007, 02:46AM
Uzzors wrote ...

IT WORKS! amazed

I had to increase the filament voltage to about 3V, (that regulator you gave me came in handy, Harry wink) once in that range the tube rapidly starts conducting, and small changes in filament voltage cause large swings in anode current. Currently I've taken 4 x-rays. The anode current is about 3mA and the voltage a meager 40~45kV.

I was about to give up after the first x-ray, as nothing was showing up while the paper was under the developer. Little did I know it took much longer than when simply exposing the paper to bright light! Development times with rapid fixer are some 2 - 10 minutes, though the contrast is good after 5 min. I expose the cassette and objects at 15cm range, for 30 to 50 seconds. Greater distances would improve sharpness, but greatly increase exposure time. Here are the last two x-rays.

1237051472 95 FT62720 Lego Objects Picture4 1237051472 95 FT62720 Lego Objects Xray4

1237051472 95 FT62720 Cel Ipod Picture3 1237051472 95 FT62720 Cel Ipod Xray3

As evident in the ipod and cell phone exposure the anode voltage isn't high enough for penetrating radiation. Just look at the spikes on the Tesla-Lego figure's helmet, which consist of nothing but 1/2W resistor lead wire. I'm going to upgrade my CW tower now, and hope the voltage doesn't sag.
Very nice!

I've just got to get my flyback driver working and I'll start making xray pics
uzzors2k
Sun Mar 15 2009, 09:58PM
Thanks. I've ordered parts for the CW upgrade, hopefully it will be ready for next weekend.
uzzors2k
Wed Mar 25 2009, 10:25PM
Alrighty, my totem of manhood has been jacked up two notches. The output voltage is around 70kV no load, I haven't measured throughly nor under load yet. It should hold up enough to give much more penetrating x-rays this time. I expect to try it out this weekend.

1238019880 95 FT62720 Img 0695 1238019880 95 FT62720 Img 0697 1238019880 95 FT62720 Img 0698
Proud Mary
Thu Mar 26 2009, 02:10AM
Great stuff, Eirik!

Remember that the 1G potential divider will draw off 70uA - 3.4W - at 70kV, so I would expect the tube voltage to jump up quite a bit when you disconnect the divider, unless you are sure you have power enough to spare to prevent 'sag'.

I've just remembered that I've got some Cold War era quartz fibre dosimeters in a box somewhere - you charge them to 300V, set the zero, and get a direct reading in mR when you look through it against the light like a little microscope. They're the size of a fat fountain pen with an aluminium body. I don't suppose they're wonderfully accurate, but located at centre beam at 5 - 10cm you will get a high enough reading to expect a fair degree of accuracy.

I'll put one in the post to you in the next few days, because it's really essential that you have some idea of what is coming out of your tube. It would be negligent not to know, lad.

It measures accumulated dose, so if you charge it and leave it on your workbench you can measure the dose received at that position up to a period of several days (before leakage means that the instrument has to be recharged)

I hope to unveil THOR, my single-shot solid-dielectric-gap pulse power flash machine in the projects section in the near future. I am having difficulty making a suitable cart for it, and am looking out for a discarded supermarket trolley (kart) to saw the wheel assemblies and weld them onto a new chassis. Trolleys pulled out of the river will do fine so long as they haven't been in the water for too long. (A terrible testament of our times! sad )

In the meantime, if there are any small bits and pieces you need to get on with your own machine don't be afraid to ask, as I may well have them knocking about somewhere.

Keep up the good work, Eirik! smile

1238033177 543 FT62720 Thors Battle Against The Giants

Thor's Battle Against the Giants

MÃ¥rten Eskil Winge, 1872
uzzors2k
Thu Mar 26 2009, 04:32PM
That sounds great, Harry. I'll wait until the dosimeter comes before testing again then. I used RadPro to find my current exposure. With the intensity I'm exposed to being only 6.663993E-013 µSv/hr, and my total exposure time 2,5 minutes, I consider it quite negligible. 2.8*10^-17 mSv. Increasing the tube voltage from 50 to 70kV greatly increases the exposure though! An order of 10^11!

Your project sounds intriguing, Harry. Single-shot x-ray exposure, yikes!
Proud Mary
Fri Mar 27 2009, 01:09PM
Hei Eirik! I will do my best to post your dosimetry kit by the end of today, but if I can't find the time, it won't go off until Monday.

I am able to spare a 200cGy and a 500cgy quartz fibre dosimeter, a Stephen charger unit, and its instruction manual.

As RBE (Q) for electron and photon radiation is 1, the instruments can be directly read out as 0-2 Sv and 0-5 Sv respectively.

The 500cGy unit is a brand new Dosimeter Corporation Gamma & X-Ray Dosimeter Model 673 calibrated in 20cGy steps.

The 200cGy unit is in good used condition and is calibrated in 10cGy steps.

You will need a 1.5V alkaline D cell to power the charger unit, which weighs quite enough without the expense of sending a battery for it.

Both units will detect beta particles >1MeV.

Measurement compensation. I suggest you use the instruments together with an aluminium filter over the tube, since radiation below the aluminium K edge will not be able to penetrate the dosimeters.

If using the dosimeters close to the tube, I suggest you place them in a thin-walled aluminium tube such as cigar tube with a good low resistance earth connection to shield the instruments from strong local coulomb forces which could disturb the tiny charge on the quartz fibre.

I most strongly suggest that you investigate your calibration standads as follows. Taking take to set up true 90 deg rightangles (!) position the 200cGy instrument in its Faraday shield at a distance d from the anode at centre beam. I would suggest 150mm or 200mm for your first attempt. Making a few trials runs, (and recharging and resetting the dosimeter between each) determine very approximately the time t required to bring the dosimeter up to 66% of full scale - roughly around 130cGy - where a 200cGy instrument can be expected to be most accurate. Apply filament current and wait for five minutes to allow the filament to reach its stable working termperature and reach thermal equilibrium with the tube structure. Now start your stop watch, and apply anode voltage. After the time t previously estimated for a dose of 130cGy switch off your HT voltage, and stop your clock. Remove your dosimeter in its earthed Faraday tube to a good distance from the apparatus, and quickly bleed off any remaining HT in your C&W with the potential divider voltmeter. Use an Earth Probe to shunt off any remaining charges in and around the apparatus and any large local metal parts which might have accumulated charges on them.

Now open your dosimeter Faraday shield and take your reading.

You now have the parameters time, distance, dose, anode voltage, and aluminium filter thickness to enter into RadPro, and can directly compare the actual reading with the predictions of RadPro.

Repeat the exact procedure and conditions as many times as your interest in it can be made to last!

Now increase the distance in increments, repeating the same procedure for each, and comparing each empirical reading with the RadPro prediction.

When you can stand not one more minute of this dull routine, you must
Remember at all costs that at this stage you are in maximum danger, and your personal survival may depend on a serious investment in Lyst Sterkøl to cope with repeating the entire set of procedures all over again with the 500cGy instrument the following day.

Work up your data forwards and backwards, draw your graphs, and you will have your first calibration curves, and confidence regions.

There is no need to do anything quite so boring for a very long time, or until you acquire a third instrument, which you can compare with the two first.

So you've got your dosimetry kit, a good brain, and the RadPro calculator, and rest is up to you... why not try some real experiments beyond the usual radiographs of mobile phones and sea shells?

One you may enjoy is the X-ray pin-hole camera, with which you will be able to image the anode, and thereby see the exact source of the radiation, a powerful experimental tool. Once you have imaged the anode, you might try bringing in a strong neodymium magnet to observe the active spot's deflection. You might also try to find out how the active spot may be altered by a strong alternating magnetic field.

You could attempt the early, simpler forms of X-ray crystallography....

But I've no business telling you how you should do your science! smile

My chief reward is knowing that you now have some basic safety equipment, but I would very much enjoy a piece of ordinary supermarket geitost if this is not too much to ask.

If there is space in the dosimeter parcel box, which I have not yet put together, I will include a few small EHT valves known to be good cold cathode X-ray emitters, as they weigh almost nothing compared with the Stephens charger unit. Run them under oil at 35 - 45kV or they will flash over, or fail due to glass dielectric puncture. But they will work for a few hours each, and cost only a few kronor, so it is no great loss when they fail. Don't heat the filament, so they are forced to conduct in cold cathode field emission mode. Don't let Ia exceed 40-50uA, or they will fail in minutes.

It would make a first class project to use the pin-hole camera to image the X-ray emission from a collection of old EHT diodes, since there will be no focal spot, as with your main dental tube, but numerous sources of emission of different intensities from different points within the valve structure.

I will write of THOR in a private message when I have the time. I must get on with my day now.

Vi snakkes!:-)

Harry.

c4r0
Sun Mar 29 2009, 01:07PM
c4r0 Registered Member #151 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 02:53PM
Hello! Great work! cheesey Are you going to put this on your website?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: