All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

looking for a push pull schematic for VTTC

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Herr Zapp
Sat Feb 07 2009, 07:05AM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Dr Spark -

Certainly you could build two completely "independent" tank circuits, but having a symmetrical center-tapped primary driving a symmetrically-terminated secondary should allow use of a conventional push-pull vacuum-tube driver topology.

Large triodes in push-pull layouts have been used for years in high power industrial induction heating systems. D. Sharpe was kind enough to provide several US patent numbers showing power oscillators with push-pull drivers:

2,464,252 (J. Moore; 3/15/1948)
2,540,275 (E. Mittelman of EIMAC fame; 2/6/1951)
2,579,374 (D. Edwards; 12/18/1951)
3,119,971 (M. Cleland, etal; 1/28/1964)
3,638,657 (H. Mettler; 2/1/1972)
3,747,013 (H. Mettler; 7/17/1973)

These patents can be viewed at no cost from the US patent office website (Link2). Read the instructions on downloading the appropriate viewing software.

Regards,
Herr Zapp

teravolt
Sun Feb 08 2009, 02:41AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
thanks Herr Zapp I found a 1956 radio amateur's handbook. may look at patents later
Dr Hankenstein
Sun Feb 08 2009, 04:37PM
Dr Hankenstein Registered Member #1642 Joined: Sun Aug 17 2008, 11:36PM
Herr Zapp,

Your idea is fantabulous! I never considered the independent horizontal "bipolar" scheme as you mentioned. As you can see, a few of us have tried all sorts of variations (using a single-ended secondary) to no avail. I don't know where the "modified Steve Ward" schematics shown above came from; but I tried every one of those. The results are all part of the previous thread I mentioned earlier that didn't work for me. I have documented most of my "failed work" Maybe I missed something. I am considering adding the "failed" attempt documentation to the website, because the finished product took a hard left turn compared to the original dream. Documenting my failed attempts doesn't bother me in the least. Like I always say "If you dare dream it, build it!" Dr. Spark and I worked on this project for nearly a year. The problem was...this was virgin territory...no information anywhere...probably for good reason..maybe it didn't work for our elders either!!

A good lesson to learn: I have an old ham radio friend; he is now 92 yrs old. He is an extrordinary high powered amplifier builder. I was building a dual 4CX250B amplifer at the time and had some questions about the tank coil configuration and additional coil for 160meters. He proceeded to open William Orr's Handbook of Radio Electronics to a table of coil information with power/plate voltage ratios,etc. and said "get this book...they have already done all the hard work for you and this works the best! don't waste your time re-inventing the wheel" He was right! They never seem to publish the mistakes..only what works!

That being said; good luck on the "modified" single ended design. I would definitly be very interested in seeing the bipolar version as there may be some merit in this. I can't say whether it will work as I haven't tried it either.

Good luck,
Hank
Dr. Drone
Sun Feb 08 2009, 06:44PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Herr Zapp
Sun Feb 08 2009, 08:21PM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Drs. Hankenstein & Spark -

I'm trying to get a small "proof-of-concept" horizontal "bipolar" push-pull VTTC put together by WWT'09.......

Candidate triodes include 572-B, 805, or 304TL. Layout includes fixed center-tapped primary with dual feedback windings on the primary coilform outboard of the actual primary, split secondary with axial coupling adjustment, and "skeleton" toroids fabbed from rings of 1/4" or 3/8" dia stainless-steel tubing. I've got all the parts on-hand, the challenge will be to find time for assembly & tuning .....

Dr. Hankenstein - The book you mentioned by William Orr ...... do you have a copy? If so, can you tell me the exact title, or the ISBN#? I can find his "VHF Handbook" (ISBN unknown), and his "Radio Handbook" (ISBN 0672224240), but no "Handbook of Radio Electronics".

Regards,
Herr Zapp
teravolt
Sun Feb 08 2009, 08:51PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
hello Herr Zapp and others I have done some reading in radio amature handbook 1956 and re read Steve's page again and come up with my starting point. The changes I have done to Steve's scematic are :
1: less turns on the secondary is for higher Q and higher current, 12 AWG
2: I reduced the grid feed back resister by half because there will be twice the negitive cycles charging up the grid feed back capacitor
3: L2 the number of turn are subjective maby 25 turns with a center tap
4: notce the phaseing dots
the changes were done with paint
any Questions are welcome N.B.
1234126297 195 FT62684 Dual 833a Modified 4
Proud Mary
Sun Feb 08 2009, 09:06PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Here is a modern circuit example of a push-pull power triode Colpitts oscillator driving a balanced resonant HV transformer:

CONSTRUCTION & TESTING OF 50kW/120kHz OSCILLATOR FOR
3MeV, 30kW DC ACCELERATOR

Link2
Dr. Drone
Mon Feb 09 2009, 03:52AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM

shades
Dr Hankenstein
Mon Feb 09 2009, 04:42AM
Dr Hankenstein Registered Member #1642 Joined: Sun Aug 17 2008, 11:36PM
Herr Zapp; Are you kidding me? You're actually bringing a real coil this year??! Bride of Hankenstein doesn't believe it's true! For that you will definitely be rewarded with a genuine "wheel of fire" corona ring! (Since you've already got the jugs)

BTW: You're right, William Ore's book is titled "Radio Handbook". I have a copy myself and highly recommend it. Couldn't remember the exact name as my books are still in boxes.

Regards,
Hank
christensenda
Tue Oct 18 2011, 08:43PM
christensenda Registered Member #3062 Joined: Wed Aug 04 2010, 02:07AM
I know this thread is really old but I was wondering what ever happened with the push pull VTTC. Did anyone ever confirm/deny whether the circuit worked? If so could someone post a picture of the schematic/coil I might be interested in building a coil like this in the near future if its doable
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: