All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

JimG's Smaller DRSSTC

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bennem
Mon Apr 24 2006, 07:56AM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Wow!
Now that IS tiny!
I'm putting together a tiny DRSSTC, but in comparison, mines huge!.....lol
Here's my driver and combined H-bridge of HGT1N40N60A4D's
All the best with your project! smile
1145865340 154 FT600 Dscf0009
EEYORE
Mon Apr 24 2006, 11:44AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Wow, nice work guys!

Better keep the on time really low for that full bridge!Ive never seen 40n60s made into such a small full bridge...
Now im getting the mini bug!
Matt
Steve Ward
Sat May 27 2006, 02:20AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Ive got some results to report now as well. This was inspired by Jims work of course. The secondary is 1.3"x3", with a 1"x3" (roughly) toroid. Im using FGH50N6S2D IGBTs from fairchild in a half-bridge. My driver is the simplest i could do, just a pair of gate drivers (UCC27321/2). The feedback CT (primary feedback) is fed through a .1u cap, then clamped to the power rails with some 1n4148 diodes. The interrupter plugs right into the enable pins. The GDT is 1:2:2, using 6 primary turns and 12 secondary turns. The tank cap is 9.2nF at the moment. The primary coil is on 2.375" diameter pipe, 5.5 turns. The operating frequency is around 1.2MHz. Sparks reach out to 7" pretty regularly. Im running very long pulse widths, of up to 1mS. Anyway, i dont want to take over this thread, but since its a very similar project, i figured id make a post about it.

Pictures will be held in this folder, and may be updated as progress continues:

link
ragnar
Sat May 27 2006, 05:16AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Aw Steve, that's just adorable. Love the protoboard and the primary, too.
JimG
Sat May 27 2006, 04:29PM
JimG Registered Member #52 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:22AM
Cool small coil, Steve. I've been a bit leery about going over 100us for fear of burning out my tiny IGBTs, but after seeing your long pulse sparks I've been curious how long of a pulse I can do with the small capacitors that I'm using.

I've been doing a bit of overtime at work so I haven't had a chance to work on my mains powered tiny coil. Hopefully I'll have enough time this weekend to finish it.
Steve Conner
Sat May 27 2006, 04:47PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
OMG, invasion of the mini DRSSTCs. :-o Steve, the streamers from yours look almost like VTTC sword streamers but not quite. Could you rig it to fire half-cycles of unsmoothed AC line with a staccato timer type circuit, and see if the streamers turn straight?
JimG
Sun Jun 04 2006, 05:32PM
My camera isn't sensitive enough to get spark pictures off of this coil so I've attached a video of the sparks. It's not quite up to where Steve's coil is, though, but I'm still tuning it.

I'll try to post an update later today.

]1149442005_52_FT600_tnydrsstc2sparks.wmv[/file]

Composite image taken from video stills.

1149454789 52 FT1630 Tinydrsstc2composite

Even with the changes I've made I'm still getting flashovers at higher voltages. Hopefully I can fix this without changing any hardware by adding a feature to my interrupter re-write that will increase the on times for a single burst to promote streamer growth from the breakout point.

My tiny IGBTs aren't heatsinked so they get a little warm to the touch after a few minutes of running. Hopefully allowing for shorter on times and longer delays will help keep them a little cooler.
JimG
Mon Jun 12 2006, 05:47AM
I've modified my old interrupter to do three 40us on/50us off pulses and then a 200us pulse. I can now crank my variac all the way up to its max rating of 130V with no flashovers to the primary. The streamers are also a lot brighter now.

Photo with variac set to 100v with 4.25 inch arcs to ground, 2 second exposure.
1150086999 52 FT600 Tinydrsstc2arcs

Photo with the variac set to 120V with a streamer reaching out to 6 inches, 1.5 second exposure.
1150086889 52 FT600 Tinydrsstc2streamers

Steve, I don't think I'm going to make it out to 7" like you did without a bit more work. Interrupter timing seems to be pretty critical to the streamer performance more than the voltage since I can get better streamers now at 80V than I could with the old settings at a little over 100V.

During a few test runs I measured the voltage in my 350 uF supply capacitor. It starts off at 176V and drops to 106V after a single shot, so I'm sure I can squeeze a little more out of it.

Steve Ward
Mon Jun 12 2006, 07:30AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Hey Jim,

The only way i could get the 7" sparks was with the really long pulse lengths of at least 250uS. Anything that would seem resonable for a tiny DRSSTC (say 10-50uS) wasnt enough for maybe 2" sparks. Also, im running 350VDC on the half-bridge, so that may also give me an edge. Im not sure what i want to try next with my mini... maybe a larger tank C and less L. Im running 100A peak right now which is pretty safe, so maybe i should just leave it alone. Unfortunately, i cant run much more than 10bps before the IGBTs get really hot ill . Perhaps a better cooling system would be a nice upgrade.

At Conner: i might try a half-wave voltage doubler to see if i can get straighter sparks. It could possibly be really cool.

Im still working on how to package the little guy... I want to keep it as small as possible.
JimG
Mon Jun 12 2006, 05:55PM
I figure 170V DC on my full-bridge should be almost equivalent to 350V DC on your half-bridge. I went with a full bridge because the IBGTs take up less space than a second capacitor.

On my previous coil I certainly saw an increase in the streamer length when I went from 7.5nF to 20nF for my tank cap and measured about 100 Amps in the circuit. I haven't measured the current on the current one using a 22nF cap, but I'll probably do that tonight.

I have been a little concerned with overheating on this coil since I decided to put the IGBTs back to back on the board to cut down on space while the previous one had a small heat sink epoxied behind the IGBTs. I've been thinking about using some thermal epoxy to affix some sort of ceramic heatsinks to IGBT bodies, but haven't started looking into it yet.

I can't wait to see how you coil turns out, Steve. Your DRSSTC.5 was part of the inspiration for me to want to make a DRSSTC using a very small
capacitor.

Update:

I've had a chance to measure the current and it seems to average somewhere between 100 and 150 Amps. There are a few cycles where the current spikes to between 200 and 240 Amps.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: