Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

saturable reactor (now water ballast)

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
teslacoolguy
Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:00AM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
eh... probably but less chemicals = less cost and seeing that it is a use materials that are lying around budget it is not necessary. Also here is a pic of the electrode setup.
1223604002 1107 FT55157 Ballast Rod
J. Aaron Holmes
Fri Oct 10 2008, 04:14PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Hey, groovy! Lookin' good. Once it seems to be working, you might do what I *didn't* do, and try to mount some PVC over the top half of the assembly to make it safer. Cut a slot down the side of some larger-diameter PVC so that the handle can slide up and down freely, but so that you don't have all that exposed copper.

...or just conjure your own design that doesn't require having anything extend above the water besides the control handle. I have one in mind that I should draw up and see if it makes any sense. Basically, the idea would be that the conductors would be fixed in place at the bottom of the can much as they are in the above design, but would be held together at the top only by the control sleeve, which in addition to the long section in the design above, would have another "mini sleeve" that would go around the second pipe just to hold them together. Don't know if I did a good job explaining that. As usual, a picture is worth a zillion (or so) words.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
Bamacoiler
Fri Oct 10 2008, 05:12PM
Bamacoiler Registered Member #1628 Joined: Wed Aug 06 2008, 08:48PM
Basically, the idea would be that the conductors would be fixed in place at the bottom of the can much as they are in the above design, but would be held together at the top only by the control sleeve, which in addition to the long section in the design above, would have another "mini sleeve" that would go around the second pipe just to hold them together. Don't know if I did a good job explaining that. As usual, a picture is worth a zillion (or so) words.

I would like to see a picture. I have a pig project going if I can ever get it off the ground.
J. Aaron Holmes
Fri Oct 10 2008, 05:33PM
Bamacoiler wrote ...

I would like to see a picture. I have a pig project going if I can ever get it off the ground.
Sure. I'll try and draw something tonight.

Actually "mini" isn't even required; just imagine two sleeves, one on each pipe, but fastened together so that you're exposing each pipe simultaneously. The only advantage of doing this versus a single sleeve like above is that the sleeves hold the pipes in parallel, so you needn't bolt the pipes together at the top. Then you just need to make sure you can't lift the sleeves above the tops of the pipes, or else they'll do bad things (like fall into each other and cause a short circuit suprised).

In this design, you'd be forced (although that's not necessarily bad) to connect the wires to the bottoms of the pipes instead of the tops.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE

EDIT: Ok, first, I found a really crappy video frame showing my old setup. Looks an awful lot like the diagram above, I expect!

WaterBallastPicture

Next, here's a diagram showing my proposed "2.0" design. This drawing is far from complete. Explanation below.

WaterBallast2

In this new version, you see that there are two sleeves bolted together at the top. The only real purpose of two would be to keep the copper pipes in parallel (pretend the copper pipes only run up as high as the surface of the water in this diagram; they are not connected at the top like in the first diagram posted earlier). To keep the whole assembly from tipping over, you'd have to get a little tricky. You'll see in the photo of my v1.0 water ballast that the assembly is held in place at the top by a crossbeam of PVC that's attached to the rim of the can and to the non-sleeved copper pipe. In the v2.0 design, you'd have to run the whole assembly through some kind of collar at the top of the can. It would be tempting to simply use the garbage can's lid with a hole cut in the middle, but more holes might be a good idea if you did that just to make sure the gasses are vented efficiently. The bottom of the assembly would be mounted in the same way as the first (in mine, I just made a cross shape with PVC and fastened it to the bottom of the assembly). In either design, the wires could be connected to the bottom. I used the top in mine only because it was convenient and I was mainly fiddling.

The other trick that needs to be worked out in v2.0 is keeping the operator from raising the control handle too high, which would set the copper pipes loose! suprised A neat way to do that would probaby be to add some protrusion (e.g., bolts) to the sides of one of the control sleeves so that it would stop when it contacted the bottom of the collar that's holding the assembly in the center at the top of the can. I'm sure people can think of other ways, too.

Obviously, the v1.0 design is easier to build. v2.0 seems a little safer, but put a cover over the top half of the assmebly in v1.0 and it's probably a wash.

Hope this discussion is remaining interesting smile I feel like I might be babbling a bit...

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
teslacoolguy
Sat Oct 11 2008, 11:44PM
Well here is a update on my work. I flattened out some copper pipe and connected it to elbows like rp181 suggested and it made a nice bussbar connector. All the hookup wire is 4awg battery cable suprised i got it for free thanks to my oldest cousin who is a bmw mechanic. Tomorrow i will probably make the base and put everything together for testing on Monday. I am really happy with how it is coming along and i hope it will work well. Here are some pic's of what i got done.
1223768685 1107 FT55157 Bussbar Connections

1223768685 1107 FT55157 Connectors

1223768685 1107 FT55157 Pig Outfitted
J. Aaron Holmes
Sun Oct 12 2008, 05:41AM
Coolness, I can't wait to see it go! Don't be surprised if you need to add quite a bit of baking soda to get the conductivity of the water up where you want it. I forget how much I had to add, I just remember being surprised! wink

Don't let those spacers fall out! suprised I can't quite tell how they're held in place, so maybe you're ok; I'm just sayin'!

Looking forward to some arc pics!

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
Myke
Sun Oct 12 2008, 09:27AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
J. Aaron Holmes wrote ...

Don't let those spacers fall out! suprised I can't quite tell how they're held in place, so maybe you're ok; I'm just sayin'!

Looks like there is some black plastic between the pipes. Maybe it's ABS?

Looks cool so far.
I can't wait to see a video.
teslacoolguy
Sun Oct 12 2008, 12:04PM
Myke wrote ...

J. Aaron Holmes wrote ...

Looks like there is some black plastic between the pipes. Maybe it's ABS?

Looks cool so far.
I can't wait to see a video.
You were close shades Actually it is just some tinted 1/4" plexi i had laying around. Then as you can see it is clamped down by some clamps i made out of pvc pipe. Before i test it i will probably glue the spacers in just to be safe.
Bamacoiler
Sun Oct 12 2008, 01:56PM
Bamacoiler Registered Member #1628 Joined: Wed Aug 06 2008, 08:48PM
Sorry for the dumb question but how is this connected? In series with 1 leg of the pig?
teslacoolguy
Sun Oct 12 2008, 02:30PM
correct, and i also attached a schematic in case anybody would like to build one.
1223821807 1107 FT55157 Ballast
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: