Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction heater as an induction launcher (now with control circuit discussion!)

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
GeordieBoy
Sat Jun 14 2008, 04:46PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Agreed. They are supposed to look like two squarewaves at 90 degrees to eachother at f going into the XOR phase comparator. The output of the phase comparator should be a squarewave with 50:50 duty at 2f. And the output of the loop filter should be half the supply voltage plus a small residual triangular ripple at 2f.
uzzors2k
Sun Jun 15 2008, 06:45PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Alright! Prefect and automatic 90 degree phase lockage! After improving the input waveforms I found it acted strangely. When sweeping the frequency down, the XOR output would start at around V/2 and rise to V way before resonance. It would stay at V until I got close to fres, at which point it would decrease to V/2 at fres, and when dropping the frequency further below fres the output dropped to around V/4 or so. Which is exactly backwards of what I need. Hence the additional 180 degree phase shift I planted in. Worked like a charm. smile

Scoped Inverter output VS Tank voltage again. There is ringing at the inverter squarewave's edges regardless of being in tune or not. It could be caused by numerous things I don't even want to think about. Should I worry about it?

1213555093 95 FT46031 Perfect Autotuned Phase Lock 1213555093 95 FT46031 4046 Ih Advanced

I'm quite satisfied with this circuit now. All that remains is testing the the voltage and current limiting circuits.
GeordieBoy
Sun Jun 15 2008, 07:09PM
Waveforms look good.

It seems strange to add a common-emitter amplifier to invert the phase when you could have just swapped the inputs over to one of the LM393 comparators?

The HF ringing is probably caused by cross-conduction of the MOSFETs because there should be relatively little load current flowing at the switching instants. How much deadtime do you have in the gate-drive signals?
uzzors2k
Sun Jun 15 2008, 08:23PM
GeordieBoy wrote ...

It seems strange to add a common-emitter amplifier to invert the phase when you could have just swapped the inputs over to one of the LM393 comparators?

I tried that first but for some reason the diode clipper behaved strangely, giving a high frequency pulsed output. I narrowed it down to the inverting input being the cause of the problem. Non-ideal components are a pain. wink

GeordieBoy wrote ...

How much deadtime do you have in the gate-drive signals?

None. The only simple way I can think of to introduce some deadtime is increasing the GDT damping resistance. I'll watch the waveform and if problems occur at higher powers I'll know what may be the cause. I thought GDTs made for shoot-through proof designs?

Oh, and the ringing has become less pronounced since last time I checked. Being in the lash-up phase with long, curly ground leads everywhere makes even the best waveforms look messy.
GeordieBoy
Sun Jun 15 2008, 11:01PM
In a bridge leg you always want devices to turn-off quicker than they turn-on. Otherwise you get cross-conduction and a shoot-through current flows down the bridge leg at the switching instant. It is this intense but brief current spike that shock excites stray inductance in the supply wiring loop into HF ringing. Once this takes place, that HF ringing will appear on practically every signal in your circuit that you choose to look at with your scope.

You ideally want a small dead-time of 200ns or so where both devices are guaranteed to be off. You can introduce this into the gate-drive signals using RCD circuits before the gate driver ICs. Or using RD slowdown circuits at the MOSFET's gates to slow down turn-on should also be effective.

When operating correctly an LCLR induction heater's current from the inverter is either in phase or very slightly lagging the inverter output voltage. This means that the current at the switching instants is small and slightly inductive. This is the ideal situation for a MOSFET bridge. Under these conditions the output voltage waveform should be relatively free of overshoot and ringing. The rise and fall times can be quite leisurely and the waveform can have noticeably sloping sides when viewed on a scope.

-Richie,
Marko
Mon Jun 16 2008, 02:00PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I don't think shoot through is a possible problem, as so many people have built working SSTC's for power levels in kW range without really having any means of providing deadtime, even without the reverse diodes on gate drive circuit which are sometimes used.

mosfets are apparently just too damn fast.

I myself used pre-programmed deadtime but never really saw a benefit. I never observed anything like shoot-through and devices would be cool and ZVS even then (which implies there was still 'enough' deadtime happening).

uzzors2k
Wed Jun 18 2008, 04:22PM
While working on tank voltage feedback I've become increasingly aware of the ringing, which like Richie said is on every signal I scope. Even the 12V line! Although I can regulate the tank voltage it seems to be oscillating, ie the scope trace becomes fuzzy so I can only estimate what the tank voltage is. Right now I'm not sure if it's the ringing messing with the feedback or if it's just my control loop.

So I tried to add some dead time to the gate drive signals with a RD circuit at each gate. I think it worked, but the ringing didn't go away.

Inverter output

1213805931 95 FT46031 Inverteroutput Noload

Inverter output and tank voltage

1213805931 95 FT46031 Deadtime Tankcircuit Inverter

Tank Voltage and 12V line. 12V is AC coupled and at 0.5V div.

5vdiv

So does anything come to mind? Or is it even worth worrying about? It stays locked in phase well, so I assume the ripple on the supply line isn't affecting the 4046 in anyway.
Experimentonomen
Wed Jun 18 2008, 06:02PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
Shorten the ground wire on your scope probe!!!
Experimentonomen
Wed Jun 18 2008, 06:05PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
use a porcelean/steel/graphite crucible and a propane/mapp gas torch, as simple as that.
uzzors2k
Wed Jun 18 2008, 06:14PM
That halved the amplitude, but the ripple is still there. I think your other post was meant for a different thread. wink
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: