Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Spiral impulse generator = rolled cap Blumlein induction coil!

Move Thread LAN_403
Mates
Mon Apr 21 2008, 03:38PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Harry wrote ...

As I understand it, the insulation needs to increase in proportion with the number of turns, which can result in high voltage Vector Inversion Generators becoming physically large.

As I understand the concept, than the demands on the dielectric strength of insulation layer should be constant within the whole coil (why it should increase???). But for higher voltages the oil bath seems to be necessary to prevent the side sparking...

Definitely very interesting concept… I'm already getting a roll of suitable plastic sheet.

BTW: Soldering of aluminum should be possible with special solder material. I've never tried by myself but my friend told me it is piece of cake in case you have the proper solder.

Proud Mary
Mon Apr 21 2008, 05:32PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Mates wrote ...
As I understand the concept, than the demands on the dielectric strength of insulation layer should be constant within the whole coil (why it should increase???).

Doesn't the pulse grow in amplitude as it travels round each succeeding turn of the spiral line? Surely the maximum voltage of the pulse only appears for a moment at the output end of the active line, or have I got something wrong here?
Mates
Mon Apr 21 2008, 06:02PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Harry wrote ...

Surely the maximum voltage of the pulse only appears for a moment at the output end of the active line...

Yes, that's the point - the maximum voltage difference will be between the end and the beginning of the stripe. So these two ends are separated by so many layers of insulation how many turns you have... But maybe I'm wrong because it's hard to say what will be the potential difference between the active and passive stripe which are insulated only by one layer all the time ...
Proud Mary
Mon Apr 21 2008, 06:26PM
Mates wrote ...

But maybe I'm wrong because it's hard to say what will be the potential difference between the active and passive stripe which are insulated only by one layer all the time ...

I now think perhaps you were right to start with - that the voltage across the end of the active and passive lines will still only be 2V because the relative charge on the passive line will go up as well with each succeeding turn.

Like you, I see this as being a device that would be most reliable under oil. If glass fibre tapes (as used in boat building) were used for the interwinding insulation, then they would saturate with oil and be self-repairing.
Dr. Shark
Mon Apr 21 2008, 09:44PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
I made another one of these, maybe if I post a few picture of the construction it will help others. I used overhead sheets and kitchen foil, so the construction is slightly less "professional" than Peter's. I started by cutting up Mylar® overhead slides into 16 stripes of 5 cm width. Pasting them together gave me a short strip about 50cm long and a long strip of about 4m, which equates to roughly 5 turns and 40 turns. Next I invented a funny way of obtaining a 3cm wide strip of aluminium foil from kitchen foil. These were rolled up per Peters instructions, adding short pieces of copper foil (from a ATX PSU transformer) to give the terminals. The last pic shows the end result with a ferrite core that I intend to use with it.
1208814139 75 FT43795 Vectorinversion0 1208814139 75 FT43795 Vectorinversion1

1208814139 75 FT43795 Vectorinversion2 1208814139 75 FT43795 Vectorinversion3

Now I'll go see whether it works!
Tesladownunder
Mon Apr 21 2008, 11:23PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Well, the ferrite improves the performance as far as sparks are concerned. They are more intense and now are out to about 8mm.
It is now possible to use the full voltage input (3kV DC peak = peak of 4kV NST half wave rectified). The air core version performance was best with a small intense spark and got smaller with a bigger voltage input. The ferrite one improves with increasing voltage.

I guess this confirms that there is some induction acting in the setup. I imagine the pulse width has gone up considerably though.

TDU
1208820026 10 FT43795 Hvspiralferrite8mm
Weston
Tue Apr 22 2008, 02:23AM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
Like mentioned I used a Coxal cable. I have seemed to have made a mini Tesla coil. I can light up florescent tubes and neon bulbs with out direct electrical contact. I provided the voltage with a flash camera operated voltage multiplier.
Dr. Shark
Tue Apr 22 2008, 08:28AM
I hate to be the one to criticize this neat idea, but I find the performance of Peter's and my VIG rather disappointing. In the thread here Link2 there is talk of 6 inch sparks, but looking at Peter's pictures his VIG seems to be as weak as mine. Even with the increased number of turns (I have 40) and the ferrite core, there is no discernible boost in performance.

Maybe a better understanding of the device would be in order, as from the papers I have been reading so far there are no hard design guidelines as to what works and what does not.
I don't think there is any "tuning" that can be done with the device, at least there is no resonant frequency to hit, so the best we can do is a clever trade-off of inductance and capacitance in the circuit. This allows tuning the output impedance, but should not affect voltage much.

The variable most deserving of further investigation is probably the turns ratio. Since the "original" Fitch generator had an 1:1 ratio, it may not be such a good idea after all to use a lot more secondary turns. The extra turns don't do any "vector inversion" but just provide transformer action, which may not work so well with the masive inter-turn capacitance. On a more pragmatic level, having more primary (rather than secondary) turns increases the capacitive energy storage, so you get more bang regardless of efficiency.
Proud Mary
Tue Apr 22 2008, 08:46AM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

I guess this confirms that there is some induction acting in the setup. I imagine the pulse width has gone up considerably though.

TDU
1208820026 10 FT43795 Hvspiralferrite8mm

So far as I can understand it from the various patents for spiral generators with ferrite cores, the ferrite acts by reducing the oscillatory frequency - slowing the decay - on the passive (slow) line, and thereby improving overall voltage and power efficiency.

I also found this interesting statement in the abstract of a paper:

In this paper, we will show that there is a functional relationship between the value of diameter to number of turns ratio (D/n) and the voltage efficiency. This is understandable in the context that for a given diameter, the diameter determines the characteristic "speed" of the "slow" part of the VIG while the length which is directly proportional to the number of turns determines the characteristic "speed" of the fast side. Thus, the D/n ratio is a measure of the ratio of the high/low frequency components of the generator

Characterization and applications of vector inversion generators
Merryman, S.A.; Rose, M.F.; Shotts, Z.
Pulsed Power Conference, 2003. Digest of Technical Papers. PPC-2003. 14th IEEE International
Volume 1, Issue , 15-18 June 2003 Page(s): 249 - 252 Vol.1
Link2

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the full text, but the statement suggests the reason why some designs add some extra windings to the active fast line and not the passive slow line.

On a practical note, another patent packs the VIG cores with ferrite rods, which is good for me, as I have a box of 'em.

PORTABLE X-RAY GENERATING MACHINE
United States Patent US3681604
Link2
Dr. Shark
Tue Apr 22 2008, 09:37AM
Harry wrote ...

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the full text, but the statement suggests the reason why some designs add some extra windings to the active fast line and not the passive slow line.
You do now, check your PMs.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: