All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

need assistance on my first coil gun

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Yohan
Wed Mar 15 2006, 10:12PM
Yohan Registered Member #194 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:52PM
Yes...but slow down. Might be premature for a transformer.

What potential would you like to charge to and what is your power supply?
I asked before, but what is the capacity of your capacitors...in uF?
phil
Wed Mar 15 2006, 10:55PM
phil Registered Member #314 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 03:12AM
Right now I am useing 1-2, 9 volt batteries. and i'm experimenting with 450 volt 22 uF capacitors. The coils i'm experimenting with are 12 turn, 4 layer. and made out of 24 AWG multistrand wire. I doubt that their strong enough to do much of anything. when i put power through it it's capable of moveing a wood screw about helf a centimeter. I've been looking online for magnet wire, and better capacitors. But before I buy anything I want to get something that kinda works.
Tipp
Thu Mar 16 2006, 01:43AM
Tipp Registered Member #215 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 09:14PM
450v @ 22uF isn't really a lot of energy:

Your cap = 2.2275 joules

Basic photoflash cap = 4.356 joules

So even a single modest photoflash cap would store more energy. How many of your caps do you have? A few in parellel would be perfect for shooting a small screw or nail.

Coils sound about right for a first CG.

wrote ...
Don't give the roadmap; make him dig a little. That's the only way he'll truly learn

Thats pretty much how I was introduced. People gave me basic information and I did all the research and homework until I felt confortable with it cheesey
phil
Thu Mar 16 2006, 03:07AM
phil Registered Member #314 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 03:12AM
so i'm not so far off!!! thats good to hear. I found a transformer from an old CNC machine i used to have and it converts 24 volts to 12 volts, so hopefully i can use this to either A. provide a steady power supply for the 555 timer and charging circuit. or B. use it to step up the voltage. Right now i can get the screw to move a little, and thats only with 3 volts, cant wait to see what it'll do with 400!! :)
Simon
Fri Mar 17 2006, 01:25AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Your 24V:12V transformer won't work at 400V. The core will saturate but that's a topic for elsewhere.

The easiest way to into coilgunnery is with something with a camera flash in it. Then you have a cap and ready-made charger.

I think Barry made a number of low-voltage coilguns. Check the wiki coilgun page - there's a link to his site there too.
Sebastian
Mon Mar 20 2006, 09:07PM
Sebastian Registered Member #233 Joined: Wed Feb 22 2006, 09:06AM
... wrote ...

I am kind of reluctant to give information here for fear that Yohan might deem it inappropriate, but to charge a capacitor you need to connect both terminals to a dc source. Because for most coil guns you need several hundred volts batteries get expensive/bulkley, so most people turn to different charging methods. For a beginner coilgun I recommend taking to small 120v->12v transformers and hooking the 12v sides of the first one to the 12v side of the other one, then plugging the first one in so you get a relatively low current 120vac on the output. From there you can full wave rectify it to give about 170v, add a doubler to get 330v, or a tripler to get a little over 500v. Do not think of plugging a cap strait into a wall outlet.
Just be safe about it.

Here in Germany where we have 230VAC @ 50Hz I just use a 60W Light Bulb and a diode to charge my caps. The 60W bulb as a limiting resistor and the diode to get the positive part of the sine wave and therefor the RMS of 230VAC which is ~ 1,4 * 230VAC
Maz
Tue Mar 21 2006, 12:38AM
Maz Registered Member #111 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:04AM
the only thing i can say about giving him all the answers is,
when i started, i had no resources to go by. i experimented, and shocked myself enough to stop for a while. while i am still rather new at this, dont let your egos get in the way of helping him out. for instance help hime with a boost converter. even the theory is confusing to me still and i have made a few.
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: