All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Seeking to hire someone to fabricate Zamboni HV battery

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
CM
Thu Mar 16 2006, 02:37PM
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Carbon:

With regard to the Zamboni battery method of operation, I'd be interested in reading more about the large old style capacitors of which you speak. Can you tell me where to find this info? CM
the_anomaly
Thu Mar 16 2006, 03:14PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
He just means that from the background static around them, capacitors will develop a charge over time. Large caps especially high voltage ones generally have bleeder resistors connected to their terminals to dissipate this charge.
mikeselectricstuff
Fri Mar 17 2006, 06:40PM
mikeselectricstuff Registered Member #311 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 08:28PM
Nick wrote ...

He just means that from the background static around them, capacitors will develop a charge over time. Large caps especially high voltage ones generally have bleeder resistors connected to their terminals to dissipate this charge.
background static...?
I whould have thought this was more about caps slowly recovering charge due to movement of charge trapped within their dielectric after charge/discharge cycles.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Mar 17 2006, 10:24PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Not quite the same thing.

The chemical potential energy of the battery could be slowly charging by the electrostatic potential (instead of being dissipated by a bleeder resister.) If the area is large enough to be exceeding the battery’s chemical energy decay rate it should recharge by itself over time.

I would guess the chemical energy of the battery could be delivered at a higher reaction rate then a very slow atmospheric phenomenon. I had wondered about harnessing this as an energy source as a kid too. But I found out it’s rather an old idea with obvious practical limits. There have been many battery designs that were inefficient for their size but had “interesting” characteristics. You still see them in small town farm and mining museums.

Btw: Hockey does not have a “Halftime”, but is normally played in 3 periods or more. It’s a gentlemen’s sport where injury or insults are rare. =) grin lol he he he
Zamboni
Fri Apr 30 2010, 01:50PM
Zamboni Registered Member #2836 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 01:24PM
I have made a Zamboni Battery from Mno2 and Zinc dust. I can tell you that it is quite a job. I have gotten as much as 500V per 1000 units. I have not been able to reproduce the thousands of volts that were supposedly produced in the past. I wonder if they were measured correctly, and exactly how they were measured. A regular voltmeter is useless. I used an Electrostatic locater to measure voltage and it is imprecise at best.
I am interested in (and have actually built) a "reproduction" Zamboni device. Eventually I hope to be the World's only supplier of Reproduction Zamboni Devices.

After 3 years of effort, I have built a device that has lasted a mighty 6 months (as of now) and is still going. That is a far cry from the 177 years that the Oxford device has been quietly oscillating, but, to my knowledge I have the only working device in the country. I think that it is a really neat device, I have watched it slowly oscillate in an almost hypnotic fashion. I am hoping that I can duplicate the longevity of the Oxford bell. So far, I have not been able to get my batteries thin enough to get the 2K voltage in about 11 inches of space, like the Oxford device. I am still working on it though and I have patience bordering on obsession.

For the 2 or 3 people in the country who find this sort of thing interesting, I enclose a movie below. Or go to my YouTube clip Link2

Wolfram
Fri Apr 30 2010, 03:42PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Good job, it's always nice seeing (mostly) forgotten things from the past being brought back by hobbyists.

Unfortunately, the original poster of this thread is long gone, but I think your project deserves its own thread in the "Projects" forum, as I am sure there are people here interested in more details. I know I am.

Anders M.
IntraWinding
Fri Apr 30 2010, 06:56PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Thumbs up from me too smile
Antonio
Sat May 01 2010, 05:26PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
I am interested in more details too. It's simple to make a Zamboni pile, but boring. It may be a problem to find adequate modern materials to use. The pendulum shown in the video appears to be torsional. Interesting idea, if not accidental.
To measure the voltage it's possible to use an electrostatic field meter (field-mill) measuring the electric field at the center of a two-plates capacitor. I use the devices shown here (too small pictures):
Link2
Manual here:
Link2
It's also simple to get or make an electrometer or electroscope with a scale, calibrate it from an adjustable high-voltage power supply (if you have one), and use it to measure the output voltage of the pile. The short-circuit current can be measured with a conventional microamperimeter, but an amplifier may be required, since the current output of these piles is probably well below the uA range.
Zamboni
Sun May 02 2010, 12:37PM
Zamboni Registered Member #2836 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 01:24PM
I was quite surprised to find the construction of the Zamboni referred to as "simple". I must have really missed the boat.

Antonio,I hope you won't mind a few questions. I don't think that you realize that what you accomplished is a great achievment. I can tell you from personal experience that while Zamboni piles may sound easy to construct, they are actually quite difficult.

Please entertain a few questions.
1. In your prototype, how you able to get the 2KV in 10 inches of battery length?
2. What concentrations of what chemicals you use?
3. What kind of foil?
4. What voltage did you achieve, in what length pile?
5. How did you overcome the problem of stacking multiple batteries together without losing any voltage in the stacking process?
6. How long did your pile retain peak voltage?

I feel a bit foolish for rejoicing in my measly 5-7 hundred volts in 10 inches of pile.
I assure you, you have accomplished what the best minds only dream of. During WW2, they were unable to duplicate the 2KV that was achieved by the Oxford Electric Bell.

I think you are bieng very modest as I have not seen any part of the construction that was anything other than complicated. I found the construction of the pile to be rather like running a marathon. Sure, stacking one battery upon another was easy, just like a single step when you are running, but, running 26 miles is very hard.

Most people find that when they stack 1000 batteries together, the voltage falls rapidly. The British used stacks of 800 batteries to get a max of 575 volts. They had to link 8 piles together to get the 3-4Kv that they needed to run the night vision equipment. The British also found that the piles didn't retain the voltage very long. Nowhere near the 177 years that the Oxford Electric Bell has retained it's voltage.

Please share your wisdom and experience.

Yours truly.
Paul
Antonio
Sun May 02 2010, 01:36PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Where I said that I made one? I have a lot of experience with electrostatics, and surely know how to measure voltages at extremely high impedance and very small currents. I have read most of the old papers about Zamboni and de Luc batteries, however.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: