Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CCPS (Capacitor Charging Power Supply)

Move Thread LAN_403
Daniel Uhrenholt
Sun Sept 02 2007, 12:56AM
Daniel Uhrenholt Registered Member #125 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:52PM
Hi Finn.

I think it’s time for me to say a few things about our project .

I like your gate driver, and after an afternoon in your workshop this weekend, with blown optocouplers and a headache, I am pretty satisfied with the results. Too bad we didn’t get a chance to test it on our CCPS…

About the transformer, I must agree with you!

I think we should do it the “Ward” way, and place the primary under the secondary winding, and make an extra series inductor to adjust from. If you agree with me I’ll order two of these from RS (Part number) 213-4470, and use the cores we have in parallel.

We need more space in our HP214A cabinet smile

Cheers Daniel.
Steve Conner
Sun Sept 02 2007, 10:40AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yay, this is looking great cheesey

About the matching inductor, I think Steve used an air cored one. You don't need very much inductance if you're transferring a lot of power, as you figured out. If you use ferrite, you'll need a large air gap to avoid saturation. You certainly wouldn't want to use that RS part you mentioned without any airgap! suprised
Marko
Sun Sept 02 2007, 10:59AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi Steve, Daniel, Finn

You need Only few tens of uH at most, and I think material #26 (yellow-white toroids) would be more than fine for you at these currents.
With rough calculation I think even the size from PC power supply would suffice.

About the matching inductor, I think Steve used an air cored one. You don't need very much inductance if you're transferring a lot of power, as you figured out. If you use ferrite, you'll need a large air gap to avoid saturation. You certainly wouldn't want to use that RS part you mentioned without any airgap!

Steve, I don't think airgap actually does any good with inductors like these.

Inductance will reduce proportionally with permeability and we really get nothing except need to wind more copper onto the core. (OK, with rod cores, this may save some ferrite from other side).

Material #26 has saturation B of about afaik 1T while #77 ferrite is 0.45T max according to CWS table. Most use ferrite to maybe 0.3T.

In any wa ferrite core would need to be larger and more expensive for this application.

The great thing about air cored coil is it's absolute stability, but it is a bad thing when we need 15amps continuously through it at 50kHz.

Daniel Uhrenholt
Sun Sept 02 2007, 11:56AM
Hi Steve and Marko

I did some calculations today on how many Amps we need on the primary to get about 15kVA, and it looks like we need a major rebuild of the supply frown

I think we have to get a Fo about 50kHz and a C about 1uF

So if P= F*E

E=0.5*560 2* 0.000002 = 0.3136J

P= 50000Hz*0.3136J =15680W

And with a L of 5.07uH we get 248Amps on the primary… That’s a lot of heat we need to get rid off!!

Well I will buy the cores anyway, I want to build a smaller but powerful CCPS when we are done with this coil.

Cheers, Daniel
Steve Conner
Sun Sept 02 2007, 12:15PM
Are you sure about that? suprised The peak current in the resonant circuit should only be something like 3 times what it would be in a hard-switched converter. That gives a loaded Q of 3 even at full output voltage.

For 15kW on a 560V DC bus, a hard-switched converter would run about 30A, so you should have something like 90A peak current. Say 100 since you have an IGBT brick handy smile

Try designing your circuit such that the leakage inductance and capacitor end up with a surge impedance of (560/100) ohms and a resonant frequency of say 100kHz, or whatever frequency you decide gives acceptable losses. (Switching losses should be low because you have zero current at turn-on and turn-off, so you might be able to aim higher in frequency than the IGBT datasheet would suggest. However, you have to bear in mind that if the loaded Q is too low, you will lose your zero-current turn-off at higher output voltages. This is a trade-off.)
Daniel Uhrenholt
Sun Sept 02 2007, 12:49PM
Hi Steve,

I’m almost sure that my calculations are correct… The I peak of 248A is in the resonance circuit, and looking at other peoples work with high power CCPS`s, their I peak resonant current is in the 100-1100A area..

Link2 1120 Amps for their 42kW supply

Link2 152A for their 32kHz 15kW supply.

Cheers, Daniel
Marko
Sun Sept 02 2007, 12:55PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
For 15kW on a 560V DC bus, a hard-switched converter would run about 30A, so you should have something like 90A peak current. Say 100 since you have an IGBT brick handy

Right now he has impedance of 2,23 ohms which is quite way far. As far as I understood it, he's limited by total charge he can push through the cap in one cycle, and making the cap big enough makes characteristic Z way too low. If I understood anything of this?

Steve: You didn't answer the thing about cores.. I actually wonder if I'm right or wrong ill

Steve Conner
Sun Sept 02 2007, 04:09PM
Re the thing about cores, it's a known fact that the energy storage before saturation is proportional to the size of the airgap. An ungapped ferrite core can store practically no energy. I've not investigated it myself, but I hear that gapped ferrite isn't nearly so good as iron powder toroids.

Daniel: It always seemed to me that the CCPS tank circuit impedance was a tradeoff between conduction losses caused by higher peak currents, and switching losses caused by it falling out of ZCS at certain output voltages due to not having enough peak current. I think Marco Denicolai explored this with PSpice in a lot of detail. Running at a lower frequency than f0/2 might help too.
Finn Hammer
Sun Sept 02 2007, 05:13PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Thanks for the input,

These numbers are for a single transformer, topping out at 4kV.

At present:
Z= 25.44, 92kHz
68nF, 44uH, Ipeak, start 25A Ipeak, end 50A , 4kW (1uF to 4kV, 8J, in 2mS)

So we we missed the goal by 50%.....

With a Z of 5, 100kHz,
315nF, 8.04uH, Ipeak, start 100A Ipeak, end 200A (1uF to 4kV, 8J, in 0.4mS = 20kW)

Yes, I get the picture.

The transformer probably has to leave the cabinet, and sure is up for a rewind. The winding window will get *optimally filled* by pie shaped secondary windings. smile

Waw, this sure is fun stuff.

I feel kind of tempted to skip the negative gate drive on the IGBT`s and adopt Terry`s source follower supplies, from his DRSSTC, but that may have to wait untill the next iteration.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Daniel Uhrenholt
Sun Sept 02 2007, 07:51PM
Finn,

It looks great, I can’t wait to make an 20kW transformer

Cheers, Daniel

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: