Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Electromagnetic BB gun

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
ShieldExperiments
Tue Jun 12 2018, 01:59AM
ShieldExperiments Registered Member #61689 Joined: Mon Jul 10 2017, 02:46PM
@DerAlbi: Yes, I know about the issues here, but his other work had always made up for it in after the fact analysis, even with all the flaws, but I agree that his site is hardly the best. It was just a similar design which I had seen.
Additionally I seem to recall a 9 stage coilgun pistol on one of the old russian forums using this barrel design. If I recall correctly it was halfbridge, with something like 20% total eff. I don't remember which forum it was on, but it was beautifully implemented.
EDIT! Well, someone already beat me to the punch. The one I'm thinking of is the second one that Eugen linked above
DerAlbi
Tue Jun 12 2018, 07:29AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Concerning the Power-Labs guy: afaik also his conclusion were bullshit. The problem with a limited knowledge is that your conclusions are based on whats inside your horizon.. I know that i went over the site once and left in pure anger - sources like this hinder everyone in achieving great things. The most offensive is the Donate-Button however..
Anyway: a slotted barrel works, but the slot also removes a lot of strength. Not sure that it will be a good solution to mechanical problems.

I also know the work of that russian.
The first link is actually new to me (i cant search russian sites - limited language skills). The 100/s with 13J @ 15%eff sound reasonable however. His 300J cap bank sounds like a heavy overkill.
Before i started, the second link was the state-of-the-art build for what i remember.. but its "only" 14% efficiency for the little energy he pushes (~6J?) with his 1kg device.

Concerning the BB-gun... i know too little about the build, but i feel like that the half-bridge approach like in the Russian links may not be practical with such a short projectile. With only a few 10µs actionable time a half bridge will be challenging. His switching scheme would demand a switching frequency well above the capabilities of even very good IGBTs.
_Eugen_
Tue Jun 12 2018, 08:38PM
_Eugen_ Registered Member #57984 Joined: Thu Nov 19 2015, 09:44AM
Let us calulcate something (cannot persist myself :). Assume coil length 4,5 mm (equal to the length of BB, longer coil would be ineffective). At speed 100 m/s progectile will pass it in 4,5E-3/100 = 45 µs.
It is not very high frequency even for most powerful "slow" IGBTs (althow there are special families which are faster but less powerful). Of course very well built driver must be ensured.
Another question arises.
Rpopeye says that MOSFETS are used it means the voltage doesn't exceed 100 V (higher voltages require IGBTs to constrain the cost of the scheme in a reasonable limit). So the circuit must supply (2/48) = 42 mJ in 45 µs (suggesting the energy increment is equal in all stages). This means about 1 kW "pure" power or about 1 kW/100V/1% = 1000 Amps current (according to 1 % efficiency which is reasonable for such "uncomfortable" projectile).

A huge value. There is inconsistency somewhere.
DerAlbi
Wed Jun 13 2018, 08:11AM
..the russian original applied a constant current drive to the coils. I did the calculations and also got 45µs. However my further conclusion were different: to make a constant current actually reasonable constant you need multiple switching cycles within the 45µs time window. This might leave you with a period of 4.5µs or 9µs depending on how many cycles you want to have. And this is actually unreasonable for IGBTs since this is >100kHz.
In the context of your calculations it actually makes not much sense to speak of a frequency since you implied a single pulse without repetition. wink

I dont think you have much inconsistencies. I am not sure where the 2 comes from in 2/48 (you assumed 2 Jules?)
Even if just 2 Joules, a coil needs _more_ energy in it than the energy it transfers mechanically. So the actual value might be much larger. But the voltage might be higher and the current lower. You can easily get 600V Mosfets with less than 30mOhm on-resistance (or higher - i assume the Mosfets to be a major problem for the efficiency)... Its not far from doable, but far from practical [cost].
Hmmh. Its a bit of a mystery how he did it without selling his home to be honest. But that is actually fine with me ^_^
..and he is actually demonstrating outdoors... maybe not without reason cheesey
Not sure if this is actually a push forward in technology or just the same old design build to a size that no one ever thought necessary [but still cool enough; 100m/s is a dream i still have]

rpopeye
Wed Jun 13 2018, 07:46PM
rpopeye Registered Member #62069 Joined: Tue Jan 02 2018, 08:21AM
sorry I didn't reply the last few days, I was a bit busy
to answer some of the questions:
- the coils have different parameters along the barrel, in general due to the smaller and smaller time the projectile spends inside a coil as it is being accelerated, coils further down the barrel have a smaller number of windings (shorter pulse requires less inductance to reach maximum current)
- the mosfets are indeed 100V (optimum in terms of price/performance ratio - $1.5 per mosfet) and the maximum current is about 350A
- efficiency from capacitor bank to kinetic energy is actually 2%, it's 1% when including the DC-DC converter
- the BOM is about $200
- I am not saying that a matrix design wouldn't work, I am saying that it wouldn't be able to pass as high currents as the simple one-NMOSFET-per-stage design
rpopeye
Wed Jun 13 2018, 07:55PM
I am highly skeptical about portable designs that state efficiencies on the order of 15% and high velocities, only unquestionable video demonstrations can convince me that such beasts exist. I mean DARPA got it only up to 25% with a 2m long mortar that used inductive drive and insane voltages and currents, and a Ghz radar to sense the position of the projectile.
_Eugen_
Wed Jun 13 2018, 09:00PM
_Eugen_ Registered Member #57984 Joined: Thu Nov 19 2015, 09:44AM
2 DerAlbi
..to make a constant current actually reasonable constant you need multiple switching cycles within the 45µs time window. This might leave you with a period of 4.5µs or 9µs depending on how many cycles you want to have..
Yes but if the coils are similar, you may have multiple pulses (ensuring approx. stable current) in the beginning of acceleration, and only one (nearly triangle) pulse in the last coil which nevertheless reaches the same current in its peak. Such a configuration lowers the efficiency and I argued with Dantist (an authour of the coilgun I linked above) about that matter, but he insists his scheme to be optimal (maybe because construction profits are more critical).

2 Rpopeye:
Thanks, little information is better than nothing. Now the values become more realistic. 2 % total efficiency means you may have 4 or 5 % efficiency on the last stages which convert 1000A to 200 A peak current - quite tolerable for 350 A MOSFETs you spoke about. Of course 100V initially stored in caps are lowered to maybe 70V till that moment and must be compensated by more current as DerAlbi points, but reserve still takes place.

and a Ghz radar to sense the position of the projectile
interesting solution :)
DerAlbi
Wed Jun 13 2018, 09:13PM
I am highly skeptical about portable designs that state efficiencies on the order of 15% and high velocities, only unquestionable video demonstrations can convince me that such beasts exist. I mean DARPA got it only up to 25% with a 2m long mortar that used inductive drive and insane voltages and currents, and a Ghz radar to sense the position of the projectile.
Dont mix induction coilguns with reluctance coilguns. Different concepts, different problems, different limitations.
A 25%eff induction launcher does not speak against my 26%eff reluctance coilgun or the Russian 15%eff design.
Of course my 40m/s arent really high velocities but the concept should be good up to 100m/s until i reach semiconductor limits. Of course thats nothing against induction coil guns, but they are a completely different class of devices.
rpopeye
Thu Jun 14 2018, 06:08PM
Here is a link to the DARPA paper about the inductive mortar launcher
Link2
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: