Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum system for gas discharge experiments

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Physikfan
Wed Apr 26 2017, 05:11PM
Physikfan Registered Member #60240 Joined: Mon May 16 2016, 07:01PM
For using gallium

1. the very low vapor pressure
2. it is not that toxic compared to mercury

Against using gallium

1. the high price
2. working temperature above 30°C

You should work with the Sprengel pump in Spain or Greece during summer time!
Physikfan
Wed Apr 26 2017, 05:43PM
Hi jpsmith123 and klugesmith

"I also have some Edwards "Ultragrade 19" mechanical pump oil which is supposed to have a relatively low vapor pressure.
I'm not sure how low this system will go, but it rapidly buries my Varian 531 TC gauge; so I think it's well below 0.001 torr."

You are using a very good vacuum oil, Edwards "Ultragrade 19", about 25 US $/liter:

vapor pressure (mbar):
20 °C 1 x 10**-8
100 °C 1,0 x 10**-3

"What happens if you connect the vacuum gauge, and nothing else, directly to the pump inlet?"

I have done this experiment.
I got 3 x 10**-2 mbar with gas ballast and
I got 2 x 10**-2 mbar without gas ballast.

klugesmith
Sat Apr 29 2017, 07:41PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Physikfan wrote ...
..."What happens if you connect the vacuum gauge, and nothing else, directly to the pump inlet?"

I have done this experiment.
I got 3 x 10**-2 mbar with gas ballast and
and, If I recall correctly, 4 or 5e-2 mbar with gauge on the chamber.
That suggests that your chamber vacuum might be improved by a factor of about two, at best, by using a fatter pipe and reducing leaks. JohnF says something isn't working as well as it should -- that could be the pump or the gauge. Don't you have other pumps?

Sulaiman:
Nice lab station you got there. Thanks for sharing.
It's great idea: to enhance a Sprengel pump by keeping the mercury cold. Never thought of that! Aside from substantially lower vapor pressure, the increased liquid density doesn't hurt. smile

Someone mentioned that working fluids less dense than mercury would require taller columns. Yes indeed, but nobody said a Sprengel pump needs to discharge directly to atmospheric pressure. A mechanical backing pump, even (say) a diaphragm pump, would substantially reduce the physical height requirement for any fluid. Always consider where the fluid will go in a hardware failure event.

Physikfan, your vapor pressure tables beat me to the punch! I was studying that, and making charts, and got in trouble for coming home late. Had just learned that most materials have a nearly linear relationship between the logarithm of vapor pressure and the inverse of absolute temperature. Here are some data points for Hg from several online references, including the tabular data you posted:
1493493817 2099 FT179618 Hg Vp

It was also news to me that gallium has a very low vapor pressure, esp. since it seems to have the second lowest MP of all metallic elements. One ref says its BP/MP ratio (in absolute temperature) is the only one higher than 8. That would have to be excepting helium . smile Anyway, something about atomic bonding makes many high-MP elements relatively volatile, and low-MP elements very nonvolatile in the vapor pressure sense.
1493494551 2099 FT179618 Elements Vp
I hope my pretty chart is self-explanatory. Look how indium is way down there in vapor pressure. And how zinc vapor pressure is many orders of magnitude higher than that of lead, in spite of Zn being much harder to melt in a pot on a stove.

As for gallium in Sprengel pumps kept warm, there are also its lower-MP alloys (e.g. galinstan (tm) ) that are used in fever thermometers.
Physikfan
Sun Apr 30 2017, 07:42PM
klugesmith wrote:

"I got 3 x 10**-2 mbar with gas ballast and
and, If I recall correctly, 4 or 5e-2 mbar with gauge on the chamber.
That suggests that your chamber vacuum might be improved by a factor of about two, at best, by using a fatter pipe and reducing leaks. JohnF says something isn't working as well as it should -- that could be the pump or the gauge. Don't you have other pumps?"

At the moment I have no other pump.
The pressure gauges seem to be okay. Both meters show the same values as can be seen at my picture in my first posting.

Please, which software have you used for creating these interesting figures on vapor pressures?

Ad Proud Mary

"Mr Physik,
have you heard of The Bell Jar : Vacuum Techniques and Related Topics for the Amateur Investigator?
It is full of good stuff, some of it dating back more than 50 years. "

I think this i a very good stuff, it costs about 80 US$.

klugesmith
Mon May 01 2017, 07:44PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Physikfan wrote ...
Please, which software have you used for creating these interesting figures on vapor pressures?
The charts were made in Microsoft's Excel program. A tool I use every day at work; both the 2003 version and a "2007 or later" version. The latter can handle bigger arrays. But they changed the GUI extensively, in ways that make it horribly cumbersome to produce charts styled the way I want. The defaults seem to reflect the MS Office concept of marketing presentation trends around 2007.

There are free / open source software alternatives. e.g. gnuplot (from long ago). There are non-free programs, e.g. Matlab, that are much more versatile than Excel for rendering scientific data.

Excel has no vapor pressure feature, AFAIK. smile All chart values were typed in by hand, or cut and pasted from internet pages, or generated from other spreadsheet cells using simple formulas. For example, the multi-element chart worksheet begins with:
1493666346 2099 FT179618 Vp Xls
One data point was obviously wrong in the chart. Manually adding a minus sign, missing in the source, brought the errant datum into line.

Paul F. Dietz, writing in 2000, Link2 includes both mercury and lead among elements that have very low vapor pressures at their melting points.
1493667092 2099 FT179618 Low Vp Mp
By that measure, copper (bottom-most in my chart) is above mercury by a factor of 150.
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: