Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Lightweight air core transformer?

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Uspring
Sat Aug 20 2016, 08:54AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Link2 says densities are around 5 g/ccm. The data sheets, search e.g. in Link2 will give you the physical dimensions and/or volume from which you can calculate the mass. The 43813 has about 10 ccm.

Robert Clark
Sat Aug 20 2016, 02:35PM
Robert Clark Registered Member #58454 Joined: Thu Feb 18 2016, 06:33AM
Based on this, the core should weigh approx. 50 grams. Assuming the core takes up most of the weight, then even when you include the wiring the weight will still be approx. 50 grams.

On page 9 of that report: Link2 is also given the wattage rating from 200 watts to 1,000 watts dependent on frequency. But I don't see the voltage rating, i.e., what's the voltage input and output.

Bob Clark

Dr. Slack
Sat Aug 20 2016, 04:20PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
The core only determines the maximum voltage in a quite complicated way, not as simply as for power.

In simple transformer theory, you can use any number of turns, and the more turns, the more voltage. In practice, the more turns, the higher the self capacitance of the coil, and the lower the frequency it must run at. A lower frequency reduces the volts per turn for the same B field, but it does allow you to use a higher max B field, which is usually limited by core loss induced temperature rise of the core. There are several different ways to wind the coils, needless to say the simplest has the highest self capacitance. The maximum voltage you can obtain will be effectively impossible for the core manufacturer to tabulate.

It would be good to study a small TV flyback transformer, and see how far that can be pushed in power before it smokes. That way, the difficult job of winding and insulating a low capacitance secondary has already been done for you.

It might also be worth experimenting with driving a transformer in resonance, which uses the coil self capacitance as a useful component rather than a troublesome stray. You can also get a significant voltage rise with resonant operation, and it also allows you to use lower coupling, which improves primary to secondary insulation.

Assume that *anything* not designed specifically for low weight flight will have excess mass that can be designed out. While it might be helpful to get ideas from general purpose components, there will always be scope for weight loss.
DekuTree64
Sat Sept 10 2016, 03:16AM
DekuTree64 Registered Member #54596 Joined: Fri Mar 06 2015, 11:31AM
I've pondered the idea of air core transformers for this as well. Possibly a Bitter electromagnet made from aluminum foil.

Seems the basic concept of a switching power supply is to store up energy in a magnetic field and then cut the loop and catch the voltage spike. So the objective is to store as much magnetic energy in the smallest mass possible. If you can store it in air, that's about as light as it gets :) But if I understand things correctly, the permeability of air is so low that it ends up being better to use iron anyway.

There are two main avenues for thrust improvement that I know of: much higher DC voltage, or carefully timed AC waves like a linear particle accelerator. Either way, you get to use each ion for a longer period of time, which gives better efficiency.

Reaching 200+kV is a challenge, so the AC version may be the better way to go. But very tricky to get the timing just right so the ions "surf the wave", being slowed down from collisions with neutral air particles, but pulled forward equally by the local E field.

Tesla coils can generate very high voltages without too much difficulty, but I don't know any way to rectify it. It may be possible to generate the AC wave with a Tesla coil, but I'm not sure it's ideal for that either, since I don't think you need really high voltage if you get the timing right. And Tesla coils are built for a specific frequency, whereas it would be better if you could vary the frequency to find the maximum thrust point.
klugesmith
Sat Sept 10 2016, 08:16AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Hurrah for Francis Bitter!

DekuTree64 wrote ...
...Seems the basic concept of a switching power supply is to store up energy in a magnetic field and then cut the loop and catch the voltage spike.
That's the basic concept of a flyback converter. It's used in only the simplest, least-powerful SMPS designs (and, uh, television sets, and engine ignitions).

Ordinary transformers, whether for mains frequency or switchers, receive power into primary and deliver it out of secondary concurrently (pun intended). They would have no energy in the magnetic field if their cores were infinitely permeable. Core saturation would still put a limit on volt-seconds per turn per cycle.
HiVi
Thu Sept 29 2016, 04:17PM
HiVi Registered Member #57532 Joined: Sun Oct 18 2015, 03:19PM
Bob, i suggest you to read following document, there is already a study on weight optimisation of transformer:
Development of High Frequency Low Weight Power Magnetics for Aerospace Power Systems
Also ferite core and highest frequencies are not answer to everything.

Long story short, i can assure you air core will not bring you anwhere near power efficiency and density for working autonomous lifter.

I suggest next time to post such thread to High Voltage section, or maybe move it there. I didnt see it till now.
Sulaiman
Thu Sept 29 2016, 04:44PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
not quite what is wanted but could be useful;

instead of Al foil for the lifter lower electrode, wind a single layer solenoidal coil of many fine turns
use the output of this coil with a C-W type voltage multiplier for the corona wire eht
remotely power the craft from below using an eBay 1000W zvs inverter.
Nik
Fri Sept 30 2016, 01:55AM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
This isn't necessarily the safest way to power a remote controlled device BUT, could a microwave generator and rec-tennae be used? I have seen them used in a space elevator demo, from what I gathered the rectified microwaves gave a pretty high voltage. Maybe something like a combination antenna/CW multiplier could get it up to the voltage required for the lifter. If so it would be a lot of light diodes and maybe a few medium sized caps, the rest of the power supply could sit on the ground (in a well shielded enclosure). Any thoughts?
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: