Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum for high voltage plasma

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Toasty
Wed Feb 17 2016, 01:41PM
Toasty Registered Member #56785 Joined: Fri Aug 28 2015, 02:54PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

Yea you can do that, but make sure to tape the mason jar with electrical tape in a spider-web pattern. If you don't, and there is a weak spot on the jar it will implode then explode sending glass at like 100 feet per second in every direction.

That's why you buy vacuum rated heavy wall bell jars for this kind of thing, and even the big ones use steel cages for this reason.

Thanks, its pretty thick glass but i got a plastic sheet in front of it so i should be fine if it implodes.... i hope amazed

Still... what kind of vacuum pressure should i have to get some decent plasma going?
jpsmith123
Wed Feb 17 2016, 02:48PM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Generally speaking, the results you get will depend on geometry, the electrodes, the applied voltage (AC, DC, pulsed), the type of gas, etc.
You can even make a plasma at atmospheric pressure; i.e., under certain conditions you wouldn't even need a vacuum pump. (See, e.g., US Patent 8471171).

If you just want to make a glow discharge plasma inside a glass tube, for example, then you probably want a pressure in the range of say, 5 to 20 torr, or something like that, so even a cheap single stage AC type vacuum pump would probably work.

I imagine you would evacuate the container down to the limit of the pump and then open a leak valve (could be just some rubber tubing with a clamp or something like that) and then see at what point a glow discharge starts for your particular set up.
woodchuck
Wed Feb 17 2016, 04:35PM
woodchuck Registered Member #39190 Joined: Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:15AM
There is a book called X-Rays, by a fellow named Kaye, that is available at archive.org (written sometime around 1917). It is a great read, and by the time you've finished the first few chapters, you'll be something of an authority on the subject of electrical discharge phenomenon at reduced pressure.
2Spoons
Thu Feb 18 2016, 02:02AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Toasty wrote ...

However what kind of vacuum pressure should i look for when i want some decent looking plasma?

Based on the vapor pressure of water at 15C, my water aspirator would not have gone below 13 Torr. I found the air plasma (roughly a 10cm discharge) I had going in a small jar starting to fade if I left the aspirator running. So that shows the vacuum requirements are rather modest.
Ash Small
Thu Feb 18 2016, 09:48AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Most commercial vacuum plasma systems ignite the plasma at a higher pressure than the working pressure. Once the plasma is established the pressure is then reduced to the working pressure.

Paschen curves for various gases should give you some idea.

Link2
klugesmith
Fri Feb 19 2016, 04:02PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
>> Still... what kind of vacuum pressure should i have to get some decent plasma going?

You can quickly see lots of plasmas at different pressures by poking around on the fusor forum. Link2
Neon signs and fluorescent lights work in the 10 to 100 torr region.

Rotary pumps often quote ultimate pressures on the order of one micron (millitorr,microbar,decipascal) but don't actually get there, even with gauge & nothing else on the pump. Even industrial pumps from reputable manufacturers. One excuse would be testing with a McLeod gauge, that's used to characterize & calibrate electronic gauges. McLeod gauge measures the compression ratio to bring a "vacuum" sample up to atmospheric pressure, so they miss the partial pressure of condensible vapors in the sample.

Rectified HV adds interest. For example, at pressures where electrodes are coated with a layer of plasma, it's the negative electrode.
Ash Small
Fri Feb 19 2016, 11:08PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
It may seem like you're not getting direct answers, but the question isn't that direct. You've not specified a gas, not specified the type of coupling (capacitive or inductive, I think we assume capacitive), you've not specified voltage or power.

You've not said 'I want a pump that will reach this pressure with this chamber'.

We can only reply to the questions you ask. Maybe you should read up a bit on Paschen's law and the various types of coupling, etc? With AC, even the frequency can make a difference.
Toasty
Sat Feb 20 2016, 01:04PM
Toasty Registered Member #56785 Joined: Fri Aug 28 2015, 02:54PM
I'm learning a lot from all this, i think i will poke around first, see what happens.

Ash Small wrote ...

It may seem like you're not getting direct answers, but the question isn't that direct. You've not specified a gas, not specified the type of coupling (capacitive or inductive, I think we assume capacitive), you've not specified voltage or power.

You've not said 'I want a pump that will reach this pressure with this chamber'.

We can only reply to the questions you ask. Maybe you should read up a bit on Paschen's law and the various types of coupling, etc? With AC, even the frequency can make a difference.
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: