All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Question relating to electric guitar pickups and capacitance .

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
BigBad
Sun Mar 20 2016, 03:02PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
If that's the only capacitive loading, sure. If there's other capacitance, then the resonant frequency will be somewhere else.

And even then, it depends whether it's being driven by anything, and you'd have to calculate the q-factor to find out whether it's a problem.
Ash Small
Tue Mar 22 2016, 08:14PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
radiotech wrote ...

The output transformer has no DC current in primary. Does the plate choke maintain the inductance with the
DC current through it ? C3 seems to a standard polarized capacitor which may somewhat rectify the current and change
the sound from that had with a non polarized type.

Most output transformers are designed to perform with a DC component because of the gap.

Apparently the choke won't have a problem maintaining inductance. I'm using two Varley 20H @120mA chokes, and I'll be running them at a lot less than 120mA.

C3 is actually a motor run capacitor (or similar), non polarised and at least 400V. I'll probably use 630V, if I have any, or I could series a couple of 20uF 400V ones.

One of the beautys of this circuit is that you don't need a gapped O/T, you can use one from a push-pull type amp, which are a lot more common. C3 'should' provide overcurrent protection for the OT primary too, in case of a 'mishap'. I've read about a lot of 'fried' O/T's recently wink

BigBad wrote ...

Long answer: yes, the extra taps have capacitance that could make a difference even if they're not carrying current because they're repeatedly raised and lowered in voltage, but no it makes no difference, because that capacitance is minute. You'd only have to worry about the extra capacitance if the pickup was running at its self resonant frequency, which likely to be in the megahertz range; and enormously beyond the audible range, and is unlikely to be driven by anything.

If the pickup is not running at that frequency, then the extra few tens of picofarads is irrelevant.

Here's a graph depicting the response from a 'similar' pickup to the one presently in the guitar. It shows resonant frequencies with various value parallel capacitors, and the turquoise line is with no additional capacitance, just the pickup's response curve. The resonant peak is between 5kh and 6kH.

Caps

hen918 wrote ...

10H 20pF

1/(2π√(10*20*10^-12))­­­=11254Hz
That's Audible.

I guess Hen is 'in the ballpark', the inductance of the pickup used will be less than 10H, I imagine, so it has considerably more than 20pF capacitance wink
Ash Small
Fri Dec 09 2016, 12:01AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Well, despite two bouts of pneumonia since I last posted any progress here, and loads of other stuff needing doing over the summer, and getting side tracked making jigs and templates to produce guitar bridges in batches, because of all the interest shown elsewhere on the internet where I've been researching this subject, I've now made some considerable progress with the 'test bed' that I intend to use for pickups.
1481241684 3414 FT175305 Dscf1578
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: