Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

TDK Ceramic "Doorknob" Capacitors For a Tesla Coil

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mads Barnkob
Mon Sept 28 2015, 11:29AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
They might be able to handle 200A peak, but certainly not RMS which often is the overseen factor in terms of MMC overheating.

If you open the table with good capacitors, there is a aerovox snubber capacitor, which is more sturdy than yours, try to use those values for comparison.
Antonio
Mon Sept 28 2015, 04:21PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
jpsmith123 wrote ...

Here's my proposed primary circuit: It's a Marx circuit, with the capacitors mechanically (and of course electrically) integrated into the single turn primary. I still have to figure out the hardware.

1442452889 1321 FT173096 Marx Tesla Primary

This circuit looks quite strange. The resistors will dissipate a huge power, the voltage source is too high, and the primary inductance too small.
jpsmith123
Mon Sept 28 2015, 05:32PM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
I should've mentioned that those values are basically just "place holders"; although I do plan to use a 50 kv supply to charge the caps. Basically what I want to do is something similar to a "Rohwein" transformer, i.e., a single turn, low-inductance primary winding pulsed at 100 kv, with maybe 30 to 35 turns in the secondary, hoping to get an output of 2 to 3 MV.

nzoomed
Mon Sept 28 2015, 08:19PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

They might be able to handle 200A peak, but certainly not RMS which often is the overseen factor in terms of MMC overheating.

If you open the table with good capacitors, there is a aerovox snubber capacitor, which is more sturdy than yours, try to use those values for comparison.

I cant find the datasheet for these caps, but they are quite large and the supplier said they should take high transient currents.
I think the cheapest option for me will be to get more and arrange 3 or more banks in parallel, im not too sure what configuration will be the easiest, but its so cost prohibitive for me to order those aerovox snubbers from overseas.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Sept 29 2015, 06:13AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
nzoomed wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

I cant find the datasheet for these caps, but they are quite large and the supplier said they should take high transient currents.
I think the cheapest option for me will be to get more and arrange 3 or more banks in parallel, im not too sure what configuration will be the easiest, but its so cost prohibitive for me to order those aerovox snubbers from overseas.

What is their physical dimensions? From your picture they seem to fit in a closed hand.
nzoomed
Tue Sept 29 2015, 06:40AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

nzoomed wrote ...

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

What is their physical dimensions? From your picture they seem to fit in a closed hand.

They are about 60mm wide, to me that was big because i thought they were going to be alot smaller after looking at the photos.

I know they are a self healing type, so thats always good.

The supplier told me each one would be rated at around 25 amps each.

I thought peak current was the thing to worry about not RMS, since the RMS current is always lower than the peak.

Infact, the calculators ive used tell me i should expect 800A peak, but 80A RMS.

Bus voltage is only about 680v max so is alot lower than the 16KV rating the bank will be.
Hydron
Tue Sept 29 2015, 07:53AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Bus voltage has nothing to do with MMC voltage rating. You need to look at peak current, frequency and MMC capacitance to work out peak MMC voltage - I think the 4hv wiki might have the info, but it's easy to work out from the impedance of the caps at your operating frequency
nzoomed
Tue Sept 29 2015, 09:47AM
Hydron wrote ...

Bus voltage has nothing to do with MMC voltage rating. You need to look at peak current, frequency and MMC capacitance to work out peak MMC voltage - I think the 4hv wiki might have the info, but it's easy to work out from the impedance of the caps at your operating frequency

I used the calculator that mads has on his site and my MMC voltage works out to 9600v, im not sure if thats peak voltage or rms, but as long as my bank can take 10KV, that should be OK.

Does anyone use microwave oven capacitors?
I can get these for free and they are rated at 1uf, and 2KV i believe, 5 in series would give me 0.2uf at 10KV.

TBH, im not sure how the MMC voltage gets so high with so low bus voltage, with a SPTC, the NST can put put 20KV, so i was assuming that SSTC's can put out the same power because there is no voltage drop across a spark gap.

From what i read, the capacitor will charge up to a higher voltage with each cycle, but i didnt think it could charge up any higher than the applied (bus) voltage?

Anyway, i will need some more caps, i might risk these ones i have for the time being, but im going to need something more capable of higher RMS current. For testing i should be OK on low power, but if im to drive this coil to its max, i can theoretically run the coil up to 1000A i believe.
Hydron
Tue Sept 29 2015, 10:08AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Remember that the MMC is part of a resonant circuit - a series LC circuit presents a very low impedance at resonance, which lets you drive large currents into it and consequently generate large voltages across the inductor and capacitor.

I wouldn't run too close to the max MMC voltage, but the calculator probably gives peak voltage rather than RMS, so you've actually got more leeway than you thought. 440V * 1.414 * 21 = ~13kV.

I'd recommend you try and do the calculations of this stuff yourself - the MMC calculator is very useful but it's important to understand why it gives the results it does. The understanding will help a lot when you're later trying to get the coil to run, or deal with a problem. Also it could be worth trying to simulate a coil - LTSpice is free, and though it's a bit of work learning how to use it the skill will be very useful if you keep up with electronics as a hobby/profession.
Justin
Tue Sept 29 2015, 12:52PM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
Microwave oven capacitors are not suitable for many different reasons.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: