Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Storing Data on Projectile

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Thu Sept 17 2015, 04:37PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Steel can be soft or hard. This, I think, mainly depends on grain structure, and the easiest way to alter the structure is generally heat treatment.

Transformer steel, for exampl;e, needs to be soft, whereas permanent magnets are hard.
2Spoons
Fri Sept 18 2015, 05:19AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Wow, so fixated on one solution, and so hostile to alternatives. You do realise we are trying to help you find a workable solution?
I think your magnetic imprinting method is likely to fail because:
You will have to overcome a large remanent field in the projectile, resulting from its travel through a bunch of solenoids, unless you can provide a demagnetising coil at the muzzle.
Skin effect will prevent field penetration into the projectile at speed, so if you are very, very lucky you may get a magnetic imprint 5 to 10um deep (based on your 200kHz above).
I think reading that back is going to be exceedingly difficult.
Still, if you want to try then I wish you good luck and success.

And before you dismiss RFID out of hand consider putting the chip on a small plastic standoff on the rear of the projectile to get it clear of the iron, and the read/write coil is mounted in the breech so that data can be written as the projectile is loaded.
hen918
Fri Sept 18 2015, 07:13PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
2Spoons wrote ...

Wow, so fixated on one solution, and so hostile to alternatives. You do realise we are trying to help you find a workable solution?
I think your magnetic imprinting method is likely to fail because:
You will have to overcome a large remanent field in the projectile, resulting from its travel through a bunch of solenoids, unless you can provide a demagnetising coil at the muzzle.
Skin effect will prevent field penetration into the projectile at speed, so if you are very, very lucky you may get a magnetic imprint 5 to 10um deep (based on your 200kHz above).
I think reading that back is going to be exceedingly difficult.
Still, if you want to try then I wish you good luck and success.

And before you dismiss RFID out of hand consider putting the chip on a small plastic standoff on the rear of the projectile to get it clear of the iron, and the read/write coil is mounted in the breech so that data can be written as the projectile is loaded.

I think, for the purpose of identifing a coil-gun projectile that is used in a crime, the NFC/RFID idea is flawed: It can be erased too easily, a distance from the projectile.
Signification
Sat Sept 19 2015, 10:18AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Yeah, simplicity of countermeasures virtually kills this idea.
DerAlbi
Sat Sept 19 2015, 03:35PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Sry 2Spoon, the possibilities are obviously infinite to approach any given problem. The more offtopic it gets the harder it is to get someone who could contibute here to read the thread.

For now: How to design a magnetic writer?

i mean.. somehow the flux needs to go through the projectile thats up to 0.5mm away. (the air gape size due to the barrel)
I think i need something like a horseshoe shaped core. Made from... Ferrite? But i think to store the best possible remanent field, i should dirve the iron to saturation. which will not happen with a core material that saturates earlier than iron. Pure Iron will not work as a core at those frequencies. But if that does not work.. will the projectile work?
The closed loop through the overall 1mm gap must be more attractive to the flux than closing directly inside the horeshoe.
The size alone to satisfy such condition puts a limit on the bitsize.
Also: how to to choose the orientation? Make the field lines parallel to the projectile direction? That would lead to really big physical bits. Or the horseshoe is oriented in such a way that the field lines are perpendicular to the projectiles direction. That could allow for smaller bits but it does not benefit from the previous magnetic imprint of the last acceleration coil.
Bored Chemist
Sat Sept 19 2015, 08:46PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
If I got a magnet and shot it from a compressed air cannon into a solid target, I would expect the shock to demagnetise it.

So...?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Sept 19 2015, 10:44PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
1. Duplicate the magnetic head from a tape deck, but beef it up for high current
2. You need pulsed DC to write not AC
3. You will need to pulse several amps of DC at very high speed to write to the slug (H-Bridge)
4. You will need to "Erase" the slug before writing to it, so that requires an erase head.
5. You will need an optical gate for the slug to pass through to start the write cycle, its moving pretty fast so spacing is critical
6. Impacts will distort the slug, reading back may be worthless, but that depends on how wide the magnetized section of the slug is, doesn't it?
7. Results?
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: