Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Idea for a coil gun

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Fri Apr 10 2015, 11:28AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I assume there may be some losses from stray capacitance and leakage inductance, but this can be minimized through the usual procedures.
Gregary Boyles
Fri Apr 10 2015, 12:31PM
Gregary Boyles Registered Member #9039 Joined: Wed Dec 26 2012, 03:31PM
Have you guys seen that cool coil gun, on youtube, that fires the US copper alloy pennies from a magazine? A coil machine gun.

I believe that not magnetic metals are fired from a coil gun by induction.

It is very well done.
DerAlbi
Fri Apr 10 2015, 12:40PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
i would use a rubber band instead. that could shoot 10 coins at once with more power wink
Signification
Fri Apr 10 2015, 01:14PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
DerAlbi wrote ...

You get Iron-powder from ebay in various particle sizes. Just make sure its not iron-oxide. I am sure the supply will be even better using ebay.COM, instead of ebay.DE (in my case).. But yeah.. it doesnt hurt to try of course, but it hurts to be disapointed and waste time for something that has no chance of success. wink I just felt like i could share my results...
success would be.. dependable on what you actually want smile for me µr=4 (and for coilgun applications in general) is pretty useless.

Yes, "It doesn't hurt to try" I agree with you there. AND, as you say: to be disappointed may hurt, but that's how the learning and experience process works--Don't let it beat you just because you stumbled and it hurt a tiny bit. One NEEDS this if he is serious about learning, feeling, and creating new/unique methods in the application! Believe me, they are right there. {voice of experience cheesey } However you are dead-wrong calling this a waste of time and stating that there is no chance of success. If nothing else, other worthwhile discoveries will emerge--most likely new EPA-forum related processes that can grow exponentially for your process. For now put aside that "ur=4" bump, DON'T give up, and MOVE on. If you are are really serious and have the drive, it is amazing what will emerge! You CAN and SHOULD share your results--they are most welcome and will not go overlooked.
DerAlbi
Fri Apr 10 2015, 02:10PM
Hmmh. But when you learn from failure that physics dictates the failure then there cant emerge much from anyone else, since the pricipal is prooven wrong;-) I see no one who got better than µr = 10 and even this result is extremely doubtfull. (since the measurement is not that easy)
If it was so easy with resing and ironpowder, then more people would do it. And industry would for sure not rely on a technique which involves extremely expensive casts that withstand the pressures and forces involved in makeing iron-powder-cores.
In the end.. if these experiments take away your time and money which you could have spent to build maybe an IGBT-halfbridge... i just strongly advise against following dead ends.
Ash Small
Fri Apr 10 2015, 02:54PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
You could use commercial iron powder cores and grind them to shape, you can even stick them together with epoxy (araldite).
Gregary Boyles
Fri Apr 10 2015, 05:00PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

i would use a rubber band instead. that could shoot 10 coins at once with more power wink

Well it is cool if your only about having a bit of fun with the concept rather than to trying to produce a device that can penetrate plate steel or what ever.
BigBad
Sat Apr 11 2015, 07:54PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Gregary Boyles wrote ...

I was reading about how air core coils are very inefficient at transferring energy from the current to the projectile.
They're inefficient at low speeds, but at high speeds they become very efficient. Most people never get anywhere near fast enough.

Edit: even if you get this to work, the projectile if it is ferrous it is magnetised by the acceleration process and will be attracted laterally to the magnetic bore, and your projectile pretty much definitely will jam.

edit2:

Gregary Boyles wrote ...

Have you guys seen that cool coil gun, on youtube, that fires the US copper alloy pennies from a magazine? A coil machine gun.

I believe that not magnetic metals are fired from a coil gun by induction.

It is very well done.

Link2

Gregary Boyles
Sun Apr 12 2015, 02:30AM
What would you guys consider is the minimum voltage for one of these?

I have been considering one that charges at 30-40V using 50V electrolytic capacitors which are easy to come by in discarded hifiis etc

Or one that charges at 100V or so using the 400V capacitors from tv circuit boards.

Or are these types of capacitors unsuited for a coil gun?
DerAlbi
Sun Apr 12 2015, 09:39AM
That really depends on what you want.. if you try
having a bit of fun with the concept rather than to trying to produce a device that can penetrate plate steel or what ever
then a batterypack and a mosfet will do fine.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: