Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coaxial LC design for pulse compression using a moving short

Move Thread LAN_403
Shrad
Fri Mar 06 2015, 01:50PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I have realized that the time constant of a RC circuit having ten times the capacity and the same equivalent resistance would be under the picosecond discharge time, so you are totally right by saying my idea is impractical

do you see any mean of changing that time constant to a more practical value while still being able to transfer a decent amount of energy to the coil?
DerAlbi
Fri Mar 06 2015, 09:30PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Sry, i lost the context.
RC-Constant in a LC-Circuit? Increased Capacitance, but decreased discharge time? Nothing here fits together.
Attach your simulation file.

To the moving short: what can i say. a traveling magnetic field is allready a known concept prooven working in the transrapid train. Of course thats a good thing, but there are many ways to realize this.

If you have only so short time to spare to think about stuff and do things, maybe you should resort to stuff that are practical for you and will source real projects.. this was a global was of time for everyone who was forced to react to get this content clean. there is a backside to sharing irrelevant ideas. imho.
Andy
Sat Mar 07 2015, 12:43AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Sorry bad day :(
Shrad
Mon Mar 09 2015, 09:08AM
Doesn't the RC constant of the capacitor and path to the inductor account for the discharge of the capacitor into the coil?

I would at least appreciate to be explained... or if this is such a waste of time for you to discuss on a conversation that you encouraged (developing my idea and confront it to your knowledge) then so be it, I won't cry you know... anyway, don't take offense but I was at least expecting you to educate my reasoning to a point of understanding my errors, which seemed to be a claim of yours
DerAlbi
Mon Mar 09 2015, 11:27AM
I do everything i can :)
I understand now what you mean by RC-Constant. You describe your Capacitor modely only and its ESR*C is ~10e-12s. Are you sure you used R TIMES C and not R over C ? cheesey
But i dont see why this concludes the setup as impractical. The circuit alone would still work. just assume practical values for R, L and C..

There are others things here that make it impractucal. Only if you would specify a projectile and then do the calculations you can know it. If there values emerge so that you need a RLC-Circuit with unrealistic quality factor you know for sure its bogus.
Shrad
Mon Mar 09 2015, 12:26PM
then assume an iron projectile of 3mm diameter for 2.5cm of length

I assume that if the projectile acts as a switch, current will flow only during the time it is shorting the circuit

my questions is then how to design the circuit so that the projectile launch occurs only in the positive part of the first period of oscillation of the RLC equivalent, to take advantage of having only one direction of a magnetic flux

I'm almost sure you know what I mean, but I just have no clue where to start regarding practical values for coilguns so I won't be able to deliver correct ballparks
DerAlbi
Mon Mar 09 2015, 02:39PM
"correct ballparks" smile Oxymoron again.
What equations are your considering and where is your exact problem? I cant come up with values if you dont say what you need.

Using the projectile as a switch wont work. As long as there is any current flowing it will arc as hell. But if you wish to use the whole positiv halfwave of the current, replace the switch with an SCR.
Shrad
Mon Mar 09 2015, 03:32PM
I don't really care about arcing, but I wouldn't use an SCR

I can reduce arcing later on and want to keep with a pure LCR design like I explained

to start on values I'd say 10µH for the inductor and 10nF for the capacitor are what I would consider practical if I was to build simple components

what is the achieved speed for a usual coilgun projectile? you'll say that depends and I must give values

I want to slow down the discharge into L so that its duration is low enough that a projectile would be able to travel a distance of 20cm or 30cm during the whole positive halfwave of the first period of the current, while keeping enough of that current so that the magnetic flux is strong enough to project the unpractical projectile in a practical way

is this practically practical?

joke apart, my simulation shows a current of 640 amps at max with a 50 ohm current limitation resistor... that makes a discharge of 1.6µs

I'd be curious about your advise, without arguing about the unfeasability of the thing ;)

1425915061 3215 FT169480 Coilpulse
DerAlbi
Mon Mar 09 2015, 05:50PM
Use Link2 to get an overview what people achieve. You can estimate Speed and Efficiency of the common designs there.
What you try to do is called critical dampened oscillation. Thats done before. See Link2 for theoretical background. I suggest you read the whole site at least twice.
The question is: do you really want to proceed from this point? You struggle with the most basic things.
Basically you ask how you could increase the resonant frequency of an LC-Oscillator with a fixed C... soo.. increase the L ? Why do you come up with 10uH anyways.. What pulls the projectile is Amp*Turns. Having low inductance brings nothing but a short pulse and high current..
I really dont understand why you consider this as practical when you allready see that your discharge time is in the mirosecond range.

Sry, i can not make the research for you. I am not paid for this and its going nowhere anyways. This whole situation is not the most promising situation for something "new" that actually works even after one does the math.
And i am getting bored to discurage you and beeing the ass for it just because people stuggle to accept their limitations. Sry again.
Signification
Tue Mar 10 2015, 05:05AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
There are actually four RLC system configurations of a series RLC circuit (each configuration is determined by the RLC values. The series circuit remains the same). I have found that each can have their place for particular needs of projectile accelerators. They are: un-damped, under-damped, critically-damped, and over-damped. Each is described by a differential equation. The oscillatory systems (un- and under-damped) occur when the characteristic equation involves complex roots (but cancellation leaves only real solutions). The 'over-damped' systems occur when the equations yield only real numbers in the solutions. The interesting, critically-damped, system occurs in the transition from the under-damped (where R=0) to the un-damped system. I am in the final stages of working out in detail, application-friendly versions specifically for coilguns. It would be inconvenient to try to write the equations with corresponding solutions here.

On another note: it is incorrect to write "dampened"--the word is "damped". The former always makes me think "inexperienced" user. To increase the frequency of an LC circuit, DECREASE L and/or C.

Shrad: those are some excellent-looking current and voltage waveforms--no ringing! I really need to look into obtaining that "LTspice"? simulator.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: