Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction Heater project

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
mister_rf
Mon May 18 2015, 03:11PM
mister_rf Registered Member #4465 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:37AM
Thank you for the advice.
smile
On the other hand, based on the Wolfram’s design, I was temped to squeeze the complete Control Circuit into my 8x10 cm two layers MOSFETs Drive PCB. I have spent some time struggling with the Eagle Light Edition limitations, and finally I have decided it’s time to switch for more functionality and to upgrade. I have attached the four layers PCBs version.

Wolfram
Mon May 18 2015, 08:59PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Nice work. It felt very nice going to four layers, it gives a lot more freedom, especially around the bridge where wide traces are needed for high current. I found out that the board house I use have thinner copper for the inner layers, half the normal thickness, so keep in mind that this will lead to higher than expected I^2 * R losses in the inner layers if you assume they are equal to the outer layers.

Your bootstrap diodes on the HV side of the silabs drivers look very big. I'm a bit worried that such a big diode will have a significant reverse recovery charge so that it will steal some voltage from your bootstrap capacitor when the upper FET/IGBT switches on. This diode only needs to carry the small current to supply the upper gate driver. The main importance is that it needs to handle your DC bus voltage and it needs to be fast.

I feel honored that you've based it on my circuit. Do you have a schematic you can post? Keep in mind that I haven't tested my design completely yet, so I cannot guarantee that everything is 100% correct. My working prototype is a much earlier and simpler version. I'm currently working on putting together some boards that are much closer to the final version, but the last days have been a bit too busy and I haven't tested them yet.

My previous calculation of the flux density was incorrect, the real flux density is only half of what I said earlier, so losses will be much lower and two cores will work fine. This is also great news for my design, as I based my designs on the wrong calculations also. This means that I can get away with much smaller coupling transformers than I expected.

Edit: I don't immediately notice any capacitance across the bridge. I would recommend a few microfarads of polypropylene caps here. With ZCS it is a lot less critical than a hard-switched bridge, but there's still some significant ripple current drawn from the DC bus, which needs to be supplied from somewhere. Having these caps on the board will minimize any voltage drop due to wiring inductance and also the potential for EMI.
mister_rf
Tue May 19 2015, 01:53PM
As a matter of fact, I had already considered that aspect. For the bootstrap diodes I have in plan to use some Silicon Carbide Schottky Diode. (C3D02060F/ C3D03060F).

For the future use I have placed some SMDs diode/ resistor pads on the PCBs bottom layer also.

About the schematics, for the moment that’s a little bit too messy. That schematic was compiled in the old software from previous fragments designs, in order to get rid of the 8x10cm size limitation, but to improve the PCBs design, and will take some time so rearrange it.
Anyway, don’t expect too many changes compare to your original design.

And on that PCB I don’t have installed the AC/DC module (including the HALL effect current sensor circuit).

There’s another issue for the moment, and maybe I need to keep to the standard 2 layers PCBs.
The production price for the 4 layers is up too high for my personal demo.
I’ll plan to put in production a small batch of 5 boards, in order to use one piece cheesey and later on, to decide if my personal experiments require such upgrade.

Later edit:
and the new 2 layer PCB:

1432048942 4465 FT1630 Silab Si823x

mister_rf
Mon May 25 2015, 12:02AM
A final 3D image of the new PCBs just lunched in production, using a handy online free viewer tool. smile
You can upload your Gerber files and have a 360 degree view of the PCBs design here:
Link2
I manage to squeeze also the small auto ranging 3-digit frequency counter, and just in case I need, for future modifications two ICs spare slots.

1432512062 4465 FT1630 3d View

Wolfram
Wed May 27 2015, 11:01AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Looks good. I always use that 3D gerber viewer before sending boards to production, it makes it so much easier to see problems in the board design and in the gerber files. Recently I've started using ZofzPCB Link2 which has even more options.

I was looking into using SiC devices now, as they are superior to IGBTs in switching characteristics, and there's one thing that worries me a bit. The reverse diode is very fast, but the forward voltage drop is significantly higher than I expected.

1432724541 33 FT168418 Sic 25m Diode

While writing this post I realised that the reverse voltage drop might be lower when the device is on (it's a MOSFET so it conducts in both directions), so it's probably not as bad as it seems, the MOSFETs are always on when the diode is supposed to conduct current. Even in the worst case, this is not catastrophic, but it will lead to some higher losses which could be reduced with an additional parallel diode.

If you already have some SiC MOSFETs, it would be very interesting to check this. If you put some reverse current through the MOSFET with a current limited supply, you can measure the voltage drop across it with Vgs = 0 and Vgs = 15 V . If it's lower with a high gate voltage, there shouldn't be any problems.
Steve Ward
Mon Jun 08 2015, 07:24AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Careful with the SiC and no negative gate bias. You will likely incur high switching loss due to dv/dt induced gate turn on of the device that should be off, causing a brief cross conduction. Speaking from experience with that exact SiC FET, and the same gate drivers, i found a -4V bias to be sufficient for inductive switching.

(Sorry for double post, couldn't figure out how to attach a pic with edit.)

Here is how i put a negative bias on my gates with these gate driver ICs (applying nearly the maximum 24V to them). The gate-emitter(source) connects to the 2 pin connectors (G1/G2). The resistors (10K) can be changed to achieve different bias points, for example 10K and 2.2K would be better for SiC as it prefers a high gate voltage and doesn't need too much negative bias.

I've hacked this circuit into boards when I discovered dv/dt induced gate turn on was a problem for my design, especially with fast switching fets.
Vgs Bias
Dr. Slack
Mon Jun 08 2015, 09:07AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Steve Ward wrote ...

(Sorry for double post, couldn't figure out how to attach a pic with edit.)

It's a bit of a rigmaroll, but, post the pic in the attachments thread, edit that post to access the link to the picture, copy it, then edit your original post and paste the link in.
mister_rf
Mon Jun 08 2015, 10:25PM
@Steve Ward
That was a very good suggestion, thank you for your input. This information is important to the design of optimized gate driver for SiC-MOSFETs, in order to drive SiC MOSFETs in such a way as to facilitate lowest possible conduction and switching losses.

Note to Self: Back to the drawing board. Need to read more information, e.g. cheesey
SiC Application Note :SiC Power Devices - Rohm

SiC MOSFET Isolated Gate Driver Application Note - Cree, In

How to fine tune your SiC MOSFET gate driver to minimize
mister_rf
Tue Jun 09 2015, 07:30AM
A new batch has just arrived from the PCB manufacturer for me to test. I need to find a way to use negative gate bias as per Steve Ward’s suggestion.

1433834434 4465 FT1630 Pdmv49

mister_rf
Tue Jun 16 2015, 10:23PM
Up to this moment I didn’t have all the components required in order to start testing, but I have prepared a modified PCB version to include some stand alone DC-DC converters needed to implement the virtual ground. I was considering using -5VDC_DC converters for the SiC MOSFET and -9V/-12V for the standard MOSFETs. The new PCB:

1434493275 4465 FT1630 New Pcb

1434493275 4465 FT1630 Dc Dc Converters

1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: