Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ÊŽ/2 DRSSTC

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
loneoceans
Mon Jan 19 2015, 07:43PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
omegalabs wrote ...

Other stuff: I realised that the modulator doesn't have any fiber optic transmitter so I bought one from ebay and it works now perfectly with the controller.
And a little criticism about the controller: the inner stabilizers (7824, 7809, 7805) are surrounded by the only heat sensitive elements, all the electrolytic capacitors without any space. More problem, that the 7805 is connected directly to the unstabilized 24V, so it's so hot, it burned my finger literally and I'm not sure how the 7824 will handle the current to the gate driver. I fixed a heatsink to the 7805 and 7824, but I think I should remove them from the PCB and attach all these to a large heatsink and wire them back to the PCB.

The original UD2 did suffer from the regulators getting quite hot. If I recall correctly, the 7809 was one of the hottest, dropping from 24V to 9V, and you are right that they are placed in-between the capacitors. As long as you're not maxing out to 40V input, the 24V regulator should be ok, However, I'd heat sink them to be safe. After all, this one one of the main reasons why I switched to a switching regulator design for my UD2.7 revision, where the 7824 and 7805 uses the main PCB as a heat sink and the 7809 is a switching regulator: Link2 . I've had no problems leaving the board on for a whole day in an enclosed box, so hopefully this has solved the regulator heating problem.
omegalabs
Mon Jan 19 2015, 11:11PM
omegalabs Registered Member #1521 Joined: Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:46AM
I see, thanks for the reply.

I welded a frame for the box, which will contain almost everything of the system, the driver, primary circuit and the driving coil for the extra resonator (this is why it's so big). So basically the whole driver will be in a closed box and only 2 wires, or copper tubes needed to be connected to the resonators, plus the modulator and the mains cable of course.
The sides and upper plate of the box must be made with some insulator material, as the driver coil will create a few hundred kV's between its ends and it also prevents capacitive currents flowing back to ground.

1421709089 1521 FT167837 Doboz1

1421709089 1521 FT167837 Doboz2

1421709089 1521 FT167837 Doboz3
omegalabs
Sat Mar 14 2015, 07:31PM
omegalabs Registered Member #1521 Joined: Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:46AM
A little update. I brought back my small NST powered model from the university, so I made a few pictures and a video.
Video
There are problems with the air core transformer as there is no insulation on the surface, but I'm going to add something to prevent these nasty sparks.
350W NST and the max spark lenght is 50cm. But more importantly, it shows that the whole system is usable without a secondary ground.
Interestingly, the sparklenght depends way more on the spark gap, than the actual primary capacitance. I changed the capacitors two ways, +-30%, but there was no difference on the output (extremely low primary quality factor?), but when I changed the spark gap, spark grew way bigger immediately. The whole system is very sensitive to what happens in the spark gap, mostly the ON period, while the gap is in the conducting period.
1426361490 1521 FT167837 Ketts Tpvonal

1426361490 1521 FT167837 Ketts Tpvonal 2

1426361490 1521 FT167837 Ketts Tpvonal 3

1426361490 1521 FT167837 Ketts Tpvonal 4
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: