Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Propeller Physics and VABs Program.

Move Thread LAN_403
Shrad
Thu Nov 27 2014, 08:58AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
model your prop, split in two parts along the most practical axis, apply in negative to a filled box, and obtain a 3D printable mold which you can scale at will
Uspring
Thu Nov 27 2014, 10:26AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
im not sure what the Vx and Vt numbers mean, but the graph and gradient are amazing.
Vx is the horizontal air velocity. I wonder how accurate this simulation is, since it doesn't seem to include the air viscosity. A sudden jump in air velocity e.g. at the boundary of the slip streams tail to the surrounding air looks unlikely.

Ash Small
Thu Nov 27 2014, 04:29PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Patrick wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

The other option would be to put a series of 'theoretical' dimensions into a 3D CAD package, and then produce a 'net'. From this you could program a 3D printer to produce a mold.
i dont get this... elaborate please.

Well, theoretically, if we know the disc area and the RPM when hovering, we should be able to work out theoretical airspeed (of the accelerated column).

Theoretically, all the air wants to be at the same velocity (we can discuss this in detail later)

so, at various points from the nub to the tip we can calculated the required 'angle of attack' (I've not taken 'slip' into consideration yet)

once we have a series of angles at various distances from the hub we can plot the shape, and then adjust for NACA profile, or whatever.

Starting from the 'theoretical optimum' should give useful data to enable us to work out slip, and other losses by comparing thrust, RPM and power consumed.
Patrick
Tue Dec 02 2014, 04:06AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
for a hovering prop, wouldnt the slip be 100%?

also, the outer radius produces most of the thrust. if this is true, and we go to the tip, then the tip captures the most air mass and accelerates it to the constant screw speed,

Or, does each x posistion of radius capture the same air mass, making up for velocity change with increase picth towrads the root?

EDIT: im really trying to figure out a 0 to x axis (radius) with a 0 to y axis (acceleration) function, im not sure if this is linear or not? i guess i would have to give dimensions for the prop...
Ash Small
Tue Dec 02 2014, 03:23PM
Patrick wrote ...

for a hovering prop, wouldnt the slip be 100%?

No. The column of air is being accelerated with a force equal to 9.81 newtons per KG of 'copter mass.

(Actually, now you mention it, you may be correct, I'm used to marine props where lift itself isn't a factor, just the boat's velocity. but the same principle applies, I think, because a force is still being generated. (hovering requires a force of 9.81 newtons per kG of 'copter mass)

I think what I actually mean here is the propeller efficiency. I may need to consider this some more.

Patrick wrote ...

also, the outer radius produces most of the thrust. if this is true, and we go to the tip, then the tip captures the most air mass and accelerates it to the constant screw speed,

Or, does each x posistion of radius capture the same air mass, making up for velocity change with increase picth towrads the root?

EDIT: im really trying to figure out a 0 to x axis (radius) with a 0 to y axis (acceleration) function, im not sure if this is linear or not? i guess i would have to give dimensions for the prop...

You still want the accelerated air velocity to be 'theoretically' constant throughout the column, which means that the angle of attack of the propeller has to be greater towards the centre as the propeller velocity is less than at the tip, which travels at a greater velocity. (In practice this isn't the case as losses close to the hub increase with increased angle of attack, but as this produces very little of the 'overall' thrust, we can reduce drag here without unduly affecting overall lift.)

Obviously, a prop with less pitch needs to rotate faster to generate the same force, but we already know you want a thin section rotating fast for efficiency, so you want a fairly shallow pitch (all the 'copter design stuff tells us this)

If the angle at the tip(x) is theta, then the angle at 1/2x has to be 2 x theta, the angle at 3/4x needs to be 1.5 x theta, and the angle at 1/4x needs to be 4 x theta. In order to keep drag low, we need high RPM, so that 4 times theta is still small. (this assumes a constant blede width)

The ratio of radius to circumferance is constant (2 x pi x r, or pi x d),
Patrick
Tue Dec 02 2014, 11:26PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Ash Small wrote ...

You still want the accelerated air velocity to be 'theoretically' constant throughout the column, which means that the angle of attack of the propeller has to be greater towards the centre as the propeller velocity is less than at the tip, which travels at a greater velocity. (In practice this isn't the case as losses close to the hub increase with increased angle of attack, but as this produces very little of the 'overall' thrust, we can reduce drag here without unduly affecting overall lift.)

Obviously, a prop with less pitch needs to rotate faster to generate the same force, but we already know you want a thin section rotating fast for efficiency, so you want a fairly shallow pitch (all the 'copter design stuff tells us this)

If the angle at the tip(x) is theta, then the angle at 1/2x has to be 2 x theta, the angle at 3/4x needs to be 1.5 x theta, and the angle at 1/4x needs to be 4 x theta. In order to keep drag low, we need high RPM, so that 4 times theta is still small. (this assumes a constant blede width)

The ratio of radius to circumferance is constant (2 x pi x r, or pi x d),
this is what I needed to know, sometimes I get it, then lose it all in a blur.
Ash Small
Wed Dec 03 2014, 01:16AM
I have read that the limiting factor should be centripetal (or centrifugal, I can't remember the difference offhand, might be the drink wink ) force acting on the prop, although drag is also a factor, as is the 'bending moment' in the blade itself, but the limiting factor in most 'copter designs is centripetal (or centrifugal) forces.

Also, you want a a thin, lightweight section, and high RPM.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Centrifugal, I think Link2 or is it both, as they act against each other?
Shrad
Wed Dec 03 2014, 07:59AM
wouldn't it be the component of both vectors and the acceleration?
Ash Small
Wed Dec 03 2014, 12:00PM
Shrad wrote ...

wouldn't it be the component of both vectors and the acceleration?

Can you be more specific, please. Are you querying the centripetal/centrifugal bit, or the x axis, y axis bit, or the 'slip' bit?

I don't want to reply to the wrong question wink
Shrad
Wed Dec 03 2014, 01:11PM
I was mentioning the centripetal/centrifugal vectors which are of opposite direction, but combines with the acceleration force vector

as I see it, at constant speed acceleration is null, and centripetal/centrifugal forces being of opposite direction and at equilibrium, a propeller designed for those parameters will hold without problem

now accelerate or decelerate, and you combine a third force vector which will induce stress in another direction

I was simply thinking about the system being incomplete without the acceleration force vector, and was actually wondering if I was right or not ;)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: