Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Universal Driver 2.7 Rev C

Move Thread LAN_403
Polonium210
Mon Nov 24 2014, 11:01PM
Polonium210 Registered Member #3450 Joined: Sun Nov 28 2010, 05:01AM
Do you also sell your buck controller and easy bridge boards? I would be interested in those as well.
CiscoOPA
Tue Nov 25 2014, 10:08PM
CiscoOPA Registered Member #38355 Joined: Sun Oct 13 2013, 11:27PM
If there's interest in either/both and he doesn't mind sharing the files we could put together a group order perhaps...
bomber315
Wed Nov 26 2014, 12:18AM
bomber315 Registered Member #43257 Joined: Thu Feb 20 2014, 03:53PM
im interested in this "easy bridge board" im not even sure what is exactly. Just when i think i have read most of what he has done i find more...
loneoceans
Fri Dec 05 2014, 08:10PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Polonium210 wrote ...

Do you also sell your buck controller and easy bridge boards? I would be interested in those as well.

[edit]

Yes I do, and I have a new batch just in :) Still working on it, but lets not get side-tracked for the UD27 topic and I'll post those in my QCW thread when I'm worked on them a bit more since they are very much a work in progress and I have no immediate plans for documentation, so you'll have to be able to figure out things by yourself. Drop me a PM otherwise.

Hopefully the updated 2.7 design is working for everyone. So far I've also got it working on a conventional 100kHz DRSSTC with great results making 4 to 5 ft of spark with a foot long secondary.
Polonium210
Sat Dec 06 2014, 04:11AM
Polonium210 Registered Member #3450 Joined: Sun Nov 28 2010, 05:01AM
loneoceans wrote ...

Polonium210 wrote ...

Yes I do, and I have a new batch just in :) Still working on it, but lets not get side-tracked for the UD27 topic and I'll post those in my QCW thread when I'm worked on them a bit more.

Hopefully the updated 2.7 design is working for everyone. So far I've also got it working on a conventional 100kHz DRSSTC with great results.

Awesome! Keep me posted!
loneoceans
Thu Dec 11 2014, 06:08PM
Some updates - found an error on the PCB (both Rev A and B w.r.t. the 24VDC input) thanks to Daniel, but with a simple fix so no worries!

Problem:

This happens when the 24VDC jack is used instead of the AC input. The 24VDC jack goes directly to the 24V rail. However, the 9V switching regulator's input is not connected to the 24V rail but rather the rectified AC rail. I originally wired it this way to reduce added load on the 24V regulator since the 9V switching regulator accepts up to 34V input but it looks like I got ahead of myself! You would think that this meant that the 9V and 5V rails would not be powered, but it turns out that inside the 24V regulator, there is a diode in series with about 28k from the output to the input, hence allowing the regulator to 'conduct backwards'. This also explains why the board still checked out ok on the voltage rails and still works in driving coils, probably helped by the generous amount of logic bus capacitance and the fact that the logic doesn't draw too much power.

Fix:

If you're using AC input, there is no problem. If you are using DC input, you can supply 26.5VDC into the AC jack instead - the diode bridge drops about 0.5V and the 7824 drops about 2V for 24V on the 24V rail.

If you're using the DC input, the problem can be solved by a simple fix: - simply solder on a diode from the output to the input of the 7824 regulator (i.e. classic reverse protection diode). So when the 24V rail is powered via DC input, current flows across the regulator. The diode I used for D14 (GSD2004W-E3-08) as a reverse protection diode across the 9V switching regulator can be used, or any other general purpose diode like a 1N4001 will be fine. This can be soldered directly across the legs of the 7824 regulator and fits perfectly. Make sure the diode is from the output to the input, as shown in the attached diagram.

I will also be updating the schematics etc to reflect this error, but in the future I think it makes more sense to go back to the 9V regulator input powered from the 24V rail for the next revision.

1418321318 4098 FT165806 Reversediode
loneoceans
Fri Jan 16 2015, 10:59PM
Gunboat wrote ...

I am also interested in a2 boards.

For those interested, I've got a new Rev C board order (and probably last batch) which I will place this weekend. It doesn't have many changes, but I ran out of Rev B boards so here's the next order:

- Improved silkscreen for less confusion
- Fixed error in UD2.7A/B boards
- Daisy chained 9V regulator back to original for maximum 28VAC input (19 - 26.5VAC nominal)
- Improved regulator thermal pads for better heat performance
- Other cosmetic improvements

If you're interested, drop me a PM so I can estimate a good order size. Otherwise I probably won't order too many. Price should be in the ballpark of $10 to $8 depending on order size, same green HASL finish. :)

Have a good weekend!
Kolas
Sat Jan 17 2015, 02:10AM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
I have always wondered about this in PCB design: do sharp edges and pockets from pads (where components interface with the board) cause any kind of losses? Or are they just nit picky pet peeves that bother me aesthetically and end up being something i should get over?
loneoceans
Thu Jan 22 2015, 06:42PM
Kolas wrote ...

I have always wondered about this in PCB design: do sharp edges and pockets from pads (where components interface with the board) cause any kind of losses? Or are they just nit picky pet peeves that bother me aesthetically and end up being something i should get over?

What do you mean by sharp edges and pads and what sort of losses are you referring to? Are you talking about solder pads? If there are no solder pads how do you solder components on the board? At the frequencies we are working at, pcb layout is generally not too big of a deal, but once you get into RF stuff and high speed signalling, traces and layout matter a lot - you can use them to make antennas, capacitors, inductors, and all sort of RF magic things. :)

Anyway boards have been ordered, hope I have enough since it's a smaller order this time.
Vitalii
Mon Feb 09 2015, 10:37AM
Vitalii Registered Member #46012 Joined: Thu May 01 2014, 12:54AM
Hey guys. This board looks really cool with UVLO!
I hope to be in US next month and buy it (or just buy components).

But can you kindly take look on my last question about UD-2.5 (on UD-2.5 thread)? When I power it on from 24V DC I burn U3. Why???

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: