Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Increasing QCW streamer length

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jul 15 2014, 07:01PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I'd say that the spark length should increase if you decrease the coupling IF the over current protection doesn't kick in. Simply the input current and power are larger. The efficiency does decrease, but I'd think not to the point so that the power loss would dominate over the transfered power. That would be one very inefficient coil smile
redruM69
Tue Jul 15 2014, 07:02PM
redruM69 Registered Member #31557 Joined: Tue Aug 06 2013, 02:38AM
Can you upload a video of this beast?
Uspring
Tue Jul 15 2014, 07:20PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
I'd say that the spark length should increase if you decrease the coupling IF the over current protection doesn't kick in. Simply the input current and power are larger. The efficiency does decrease, but I'd think not to the point so that the power loss would dominate over the transfered power. That would be one very inefficient coil.
I completely agree with that. He observed decreasing arc length with decreasing coupling, though, which makes me believe in a lot of losses. On the other hand the coil performs nicely. I'm puzzled.

@BSVi: Can you tell us, what primary wire diameter you use?

BSVi
Tue Jul 15 2014, 08:48PM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
I'd say that the spark length should increase if you decrease the coupling IF the over current protection doesn't kick in.
No, it doesnt. After coupling is decreased, streames got smaller. And OCD didn't kicked in.

Can you upload a video of this beast?
Easily: Link2
But video is not as good as stills.

Can you tell us, what primary wire diameter you use?
Its 2.5mm^2 solid copper wire (1.8mm^2). Primary gets warm, but not hot.
Goodchild
Tue Jul 15 2014, 09:50PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

I'd say that the spark length should increase if you decrease the coupling IF the over current protection doesn't kick in. Simply the input current and power are larger. The efficiency does decrease, but I'd think not to the point so that the power loss would dominate over the transfered power. That would be one very inefficient coil smile

I don’t agree with this statement matter in fact it should be the opposite. Spark length should get larger with an increased coupling. Lowering the coupling only makes the current large because more of the energy is staying in the primary circuit.

The desired outcome is to transfer the energy into the secondary circuit as fast as possible, such that it can be used to make sparks, rather than sloshing around in the primary LC loosing energy to resistive loss.

In a DR coupling is the only thing limiting the flow of energy into the secondary circuit and because we allow all of this energy to be available at once, the coupling needs to be kept low such that we don’t have an excessive dv/dt on the output, causing a flash over.

In a QCW however we are able to control power out of the bridge, only giving the resonator power as we feel fit for optimal spark growth. As such the coupling can be made much larger, because the coupling is no longer the only thing limiting the flow of power. This allows control of the coils output dv/dt to a rather fine degree.

From what I can tell this is why QCWs perform so well. By keeping the output dv/dt low we are able to grow the plasma channel over more time without flashing over at higher couplings. This is all due to controlling the rate at which power is fed to the resonator.

From what I have found the limiting factor is usually how well you can keep the coil in tune. As sparks get bigger and the secondary get more out of tune with the primary and requires more and more power to increase spark length.

The other limiting factor (and it looks like BSVi has hit this one) is the primary tank impedance. With a particular tank impedance configuration you will only be able to grow sparks to some length before you can no longer ring the LC up any further.

There are two solutions to this problem, either you must increase the bus voltage (if your setup can handle that) or you must lower the Z of the LC.
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 16 2014, 07:54AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I agree with Eric, except in a DRSSTC, the impedance of the primary also limits the rate of energy transfer. I think it's better to limit it by using a higher impedance primary and maintaining tight coupling, than by loosening the coupling.

I'm interested by this spark length limit where the tank circuit refuses to ring up any further. I would like to find a way of predicting it in advance, rather than finding out after the coil is built. Do you have any measurements you could share that might help?
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jul 16 2014, 10:41AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I still can't see how a higher input power (resulting from decreased coupling) doesn't result in longer sparks, because I think it does. The efficiency is not really that bad I'd say.

I think that it's best to look at any system involving power transfer from the point of powers and energies.
Uspring
Wed Jul 16 2014, 11:00AM
Its 2.5mm^2 solid copper wire (1.8mm^2). Primary gets warm, but not hot.
I did a quick check on the AC resistance and came up with at most 0.2 Ohm for the primary. That isn't really enough to explain the coils performance dependence on coupling by resistive losses.

Steve wrote:
Energy is equal to V*I*t. If you have 300V*200A*20ms that is 1200J of energy.
300V on a 12000uF cap will store 540J of energy. Can it be, that you run out of cap voltage?

Steve Conner
Wed Jul 16 2014, 11:20AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
DR. DC, your argument would be true if the primary current were allowed to increase. However I think loosening the coupling gives less spark length increase per primary current increase, than maintaining the coupling and lowering the primary impedance.

Looking at it in terms of power and energy, when the coupling is loosened, more energy is stored in the primary as reactive power and returned to the DC bus after the burst ends. That is where the "missing" energy goes.
Uspring
Wed Jul 16 2014, 12:20PM
DR. DC, your argument would be true if the primary current were allowed to increase. However I think loosening the coupling gives less spark length increase per primary current increase, than maintaining the coupling and lowering the primary impedance.
Power transfer is proportional to k * Ipri and other things. For a given bus voltage Ipri is proportional to Qpri omitting losses in the primary. The equation for Qpri predicts a proportionality between Qpri and 1/k^2, if the operating frequency would not be affected by coupling. Since that is the case, also a weak dependence on k is possible. So we have to extreme cases:

a) Ipri ~ 1/k^2. Then power transfer is proportional to 1/k, i.e. it will increase with less coupling, although at the price of higher primary currents.

b) Ipri is constant. Then power transfer is proportional to k and will increase with more coupling.

Mostly the situation is somewhere between.

EDIT: The "other things" mentioned above makes this a lot more complicated as I've written. So please forget about the above. Sorry.

Looking at it in terms of power and energy, when the coupling is loosened, more energy is stored in the primary as reactive power and returned to the DC bus after the burst ends. That is where the "missing" energy goes.
Yes, but we're looking at 20ms bursts. Energy in the primary is a few J compared to hundreds in the burst.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: