Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Strike target grounding

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
fungus
Mon Jun 23 2014, 08:14PM
fungus Registered Member #46251 Joined: Sat May 10 2014, 12:55PM
A week trying to figure out how to set up a strike target, and... you don't need one! angry

I feel like such a clod sometimes.

Let this thread stand as a warning...

(Now I just need to get the Arduino control working (basically done), incorporate the smaller sparkers, and ... get to work programming my musical masterpiece!)
Graham Armitage
Mon Jun 23 2014, 09:18PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
I built the MiniBrute a couple of years ago and had the same problems you are experiencing. I had everything grounded to the mains ground wire - base of secondary, strike ring and a strike object. Whenever it hit the strike object the USB on the laptop would be hosed, TV's go berserk. Just way to much EMF noise. Following advise from others here I now try and prevent the arcs from striking any grounded object. Strikes to the basement concrete floor are fine, and the strike ring is just for added protection. I keep the breakout long enough and pointed up so it never wants to hit the strike ring. The concrete is more of an indirect ground.

For demo's I have a small torroid on plastic stick as a strike target. The streamers hit that and it looks good, but EMF is not an issue and current draw is no where near that of a true ground strike. I can run a laptop 10ft from the coil (throwing 34" streamers) without any problems. One ground strike though and I have to reboot the machine.

I had to play around with the setup in my environment and see what works. I didn't want to depend on RF grounds or anything I may not have at a school or somewhere I was doing a demo.
Sigurthr
Tue Jun 24 2014, 04:03AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
FWIW I have had excellent luck protecting household devices by using Class-Y capacitors between all three conductors. I use 300V 100nF Class-Y2 caps (but I'm on 120V mains - don't use these for 240v!) between Live and Neutral, and between Live and Earth, and Neutral and Earth. I've one set of caps set up near the TC, and another set at the outlet where the home electronics are plugged in. I've been able to run my 3kW CW SSTC (280KHz) in the house without frying anything as a result. I do have a dedicated ground rod and grounding cable, but the cable is more than 6 meters long, so everything is tied into mains ground as well.
fungus
Tue Jun 24 2014, 07:06AM
Sigurthr wrote ...

FWIW I have had excellent luck protecting household devices by using Class-Y capacitors between all three conductors.

I'm not sure how much of it is due to the wires and how much is RF.

At one point I had the secondary and strike target completely disconnected from any ground and I still had problems.
Hydron
Tue Jun 24 2014, 11:22AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Has anyone here actually looked at what makes it onto the mains from TC usage? Probably varies a bit depending on the mains grounding scheme used, but shouldn't be hard to chuck a scope across the mains to check (obviously this should be done with care). Unfortunately my coil is in pieces right now, otherwise i'd have a look.

What I can say about my DRSSTC is that I haven't had any issues with other devices in the house using just a standard line filter and a short ground stake (it has mains earth, ground stake, secondary base and strike rail all bonded to the large heatsink the bridge is mounted on). Here in New Zealand we have an earth stake per house, with earth and neutral also bonded at the switchboard, which should help keep the noise between earth and phase/neutral reasonable.
fungus
Tue Jun 24 2014, 11:47AM
I've just been tuning the primary a bit, here's some pics:

Tesla1
Tesla2

They're stills from this video:

Link2

For scale, the toroid is 15cm (6 inches) across. That makes the streamers 12 inches or so.

I don't know exactly how many volts that is.... but this room is NOT big enough for the both of us. cry

1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: